Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK I know the current season is not finished yet, but... I'm looking to make some early inquiries before everyone disappears for the summer.

I would like to ski in 2018 with a group of guys. I'm 56 but still fit for black runs and quite happy to have a few beers and party till late. Trouble is a number of my existing ski buddies have dropped out or become unreliable. Have just (11-18 March) returned from Ellmau with 2 guys, excellent holiday, but there were supposed to be 4 of us (one down due to injury).

Is there anyone else who might consider joining us (or us joining them) to cover for those with lame injuries or other excuses etc?
No resort in mind yet but would have to be a large area, preferably high (>1500m), lots of apres-ski and mid-late Feb.

No firm plans, just trying to gauge if there is any interest and make some contacts.

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered a Bash. A week in Arabba on the Sella Ronda, over a hundred people to ski and drink with, all abilities in both disciplines. Always someone to ski with and a huge area to ski in. What's not to like? snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A Bash? Wait let me have a look - been a while since I was last here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
YES! - A bash what a great idea! I will check it out in more detail. That way even two people could morph into a huge group. Still interested to hear from anyone else though Bash or otherwise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skido, thinking of getting group together for late Jan trip to Val D'Isere. Similar age group and ability level. Sadly, similar injuries too in some cases, but battle through.
Not cheap...but it is Val D, snow sure and v good chalet accommodation. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@intermediate, sounds great although I have never been there, Val D has always been on my list. How many in your group roughly (best case / worset case). Hard to predict our numbers but at least 1 Shock), probably 2 and possibly 3. Are you up for the night life? Are you looking at a catered chalet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skido, numbers hard to predict this far out. In the teens hopefully. Val D/Tignes skiing excellent. V good catered chalet with transfers but organise own travel separately. Flights to GVA for inclusive transfers. Train and self drive other options.
Sunday travel, much better than Saturday. Some are up for nightlife but I'm usually too knackered these days! Val D nightlife lively. Most of group know area like back of hand, so know where to go when. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@intermediate, all sounds good and "in the teens hopefully" sounds like a good sized group! So when will you make the first plans? (needs to add a check date in my diary)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skido, apols for slow reply, but I only returned from Tignes yesterday afternoon. First, there's no support in our group for a mid to late Feb week (too expensive, too busy, as it clashes with French winter holidays and other countries' half term breaks). Either end of Jan or early to mid March are our preferred times. So that may or may not suit you.

I'll start asking specifically about interest in this about mid May. I took a quick look at a couple of possible chalets last week. One near Val D centre, the other at La Daille, about a 10 minute free bus ride from centre and handy location for skiing. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK - we can be flexable on the dates. In recent years we have gone mid to late March and have been very lucky a couple of years ago in Courchevel at the end of March we just about got away with it but it rained on the way home. But this year freaked me out a bit, 15th March in Elmau area at 1400m and the temperature shown at the bottom of one of the lifts was 19.3 degrees C! There was plenty of good snow on the north facing slopes but the south facing slopes were wiped out. It rained on the day we left and heavy rain was forecast for the following 3 days for the whole area. That's why I was thinking Feb, but early March or Jan would be good (I hadn't considered the cost and holiday issues).

Centre of Val D sounds good and 10 min free bus ride is fine except for the Apre (when do the buses stop running?), but there are possibilities. Please keep me posted on developments, key factor would be cost for some of us. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were talking about dates last night and the general consensus was that the two quieter weeks are now week 3 in January and week 3 in March - although this years experience was a bit warm in March, but hopefully that was a one off! the week before Christmas is also quiet but best head for higher resorts and/or those with a Glacier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skido, thanks. Never any guarantees on snow but Espace Killy is as snowsure as anywhere in Europe. In 25 years of skiing there, between mid Dec and early April, I've never known poor snow cover. Last week we were skiing down to bottom lifts in all valleys. Last season I skied there on fresh snow, in sun, on 2 May.

@boredsurfin, is right about quietest weeks in Jan and March I think. Makes a big difference to cost, lift queues, space on pistes and in bars.
Free buses run until early hours (2am ish). I've walked back from town centre to La Daille a few times and it's not a big deal.
On cost...well Val D ain't cheap, but it is one of the best areas in the world, IMO. Many snowHeads predict more expensive next year. Will keep you posted. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy