Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size new skis for piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Hubby is testing some skis tomorrow with a view to purchase and is confused re which length might be best- he will try to test both 163 and 170 ones but just in case he can't tell any suggestions!

Current options are

Head chip skis at 163 or 170cm

Or Rossingnol (not sure what model) 163? Or 170!

He is 5'10! and weighs about 98kg

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to give a bit more info re ability/experience but at 98kg I suggest he should go at least 170cm and possibly 175-178cm. Head Supershape Magnum in 177cm is a great piste oriented ski if he can demo that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What level is he and how fast/aggressive?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 5'10 and around 90kg and I'm on 177 Blizzard Latigo's and I'm about a Level 7 on http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html. Length is a little +/- due to the rocker and as the others say level/style is important but I'd hazard a guess they're a bit short.

I originally had 163 salomon's and it was hard going to 177 but once I'd got past the mental side of the length I love them, if I put back on the Salomon's they're just too short and soft. Its not all about the length though so its not a great comparison but the 163's were wrong for me. One thing to watch out for is testing in a dome, shorter skis might feel good in a dome but then be jittery at speed on a hill. I was thinking about keeping my 163's for the snowdome, due to the shorter turning circle, I tried them but the new ones just feel right so have given up on that idea. Having said all that, the shorter length was great for me to start learning on so yeah level is important.

If he can wait a couple of weeks he ought to give spyderjon a call at The Piste Office http://www.thepisteoffice.com/. I think he's away at the moment but he gave me loads of great advice when buying mine (which I ended up buying from him).

Good luck
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 5'10 and 75 kg (advanced/expert) and ski 170 Supershape Magnums. As your husband is 98 kg I suspect something closer to 180 could be the way to go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone

On the scale given he is probably a 6-7. A good intermediate but lacks confidence current skis are 168 cm but not good skis at all! We will see what the shop has on offer tomorrow he has been given 163cm to try tomorrow but as I suspected these will be too small so will head back and get the 170's and work up from there! He's not going to improve on current skis and needs a confidence boost!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From the information you have given, somewhere between 170-177.

Factors to take into consideration:

- The general dampness of the ski and how easy / forgiving it is.
- Use the range of lengths in a particular model as a guide....ie. At this stage, not the longest length in an unforgiving ski.
- Personal preference as to what feels right...but allowing room to improve, while still giving confidence.
- Be guided by the advice of the shop (if they know their stuff).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers will head back to the resort shop in the morning and have another chat! They have a few pairs he can try!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy