Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Probably the best powder day all season here today, I am sure Gloaty McGloatface will be along shortly to show you all how we low altitude Austrians roll........... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well... we did get a few stills from the vids we took in Zauchensee today Cool

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarpa, meh, looks rubbish.

Glad I was at work tbh.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kooky wrote:
@Scarpa, meh, looks rubbish.

Glad I was at work tbh.

+1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarpa, superb. Chapeau!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarpa, bastardo Toofy Grin

Down here B'all precipitation, sunny and very cold, yesterday hiked 5km up a valley (after having driven 6km) to see what ski touring options there are / were for when things warm up a little.

Refuges lower down (circa 2,000m) closed now and high altitude not opening for a while yet, so looks like long walks in / long walks out Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check out the Arlberg Thread.

Epic Today !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not too shabby over this way either 😜

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, your tracks?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Damn nice tracks.

For me another tough day in the office with Primoz... thanks for a great ski.

And finally a broken Scarpa after 9am to 2pm off piste, 15 runs, 30km and 6800vm. He was still skiing.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
galpinos wrote:
@BobinCH, your tracks?

Yes sir. Here you go...

http://youtube.com/v/YCUbXWfWyh0
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pardon my ignorance but how do you get to the start point of the video?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, you have to hike up a ridge, traverse into the face above and then pick your way down the steeper rocky sections before it opens out in the lower bowls, like the one in the video

More info here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131680&highlight=

And here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131750&highlight=
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa thanks to you Smile It was simply amazing and luckily I picked yesterday and didn't wait till sun on Friday Smile If winter sucked and I had only 2 or 3 nice powder days until now, end of winter certainly made it all look much better Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
@Layne, you have to hike up a ridge, traverse into the face above and then pick your way down the steeper rocky sections before it opens out in the lower bowls, like the one in the video

More info here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131680&highlight=

And here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131750&highlight=

Looks gnarly getting in there... good stuff Happy
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
galpinos wrote:
@BobinCH, your tracks?

Yes sir. Here you go...

http://youtube.com/v/YCUbXWfWyh0

Well, quite frankly you can wee wee off, as sat at my desk in Manchester, my "jealous-ometer" has just exploded. I shall have to avoid all your posts from now on.

(Am i right in thinking this 'bowl' is skiers right of the dogleg couloir? Start as per the dogleg then cut right through the cliff/rocks?)

P.S. I'm not sure I can forgive you the abomination of a song used on the video though......
latest report
galpinos wrote:

(Am i right in thinking this 'bowl' is skiers right of the dogleg couloir? Start as per the dogleg then cut right through the cliff/rocks?)

P.S. I'm not sure I can forgive you the abomination of a song used on the video though......

Yep that's it. Called the "Heart Zone". The big boys huck in from above but you can also traverse in lower down. It's a nice 35 degree slope so safe to open up a bit
ski holidays

Scarpa and me had a final day up on Obertauern before he drives back to UK. Found so really good snow a 20 min boot pack up, absolutely wonderful way to end the season Madeye-Smiley
snow report

So, April skiing? yes please Sir!
snow report
April is the way to go.
snow conditions
April you say Shocked??
But...but...will there be any snow Puzzled Laughing

(Great pics and reports by the way Very Happy )
snow report
@mountainaddict, I know right! Austria is way to low for snow Twisted Evil

If anyones about and wants to hook up I am doing Monday May 1st at Obertauern ...maybe a May skiing thread is in order?
snow conditions
So I'm looking for April 2018 but still struggling to see what resorts (we're a family of piste skiers only). These photos look awesome but outside our ability.

Now off to spend some time on the search button ........ but if anyone had got suggestions for piste based skiing for intermediate skiers level6 IOS that would be appreciated.
snow conditions
@djf, Ischgl is fantastic for intermediate level piste skiers. It is open every year until the beginning of May and from experience the piste skiing is still fantastic right up to then, and like this year can be some of the best conditions of the year. Currently there is 186km of open pistes and you can ski right back to the village. 90% of the skiing starts at 2100m or higher and you ski across to Switzerland and back too.

They also hold large free mountain top concerts on consecutive weekends in April, past acts include Elton John, Robbie Williams, Nickelback etc...
Also they tend do discount lift passes from mid April onwards.

http://www.bergfex.com/ischgl
snow report
ooo nice, thanks @AthersT, I'll check that out.
latest report
@djf, There are a few others such as Val Thorens, Kuhtai or a plethora of Glacial resorts such as Zermatt/Cervinia, Kaprun, Stubai etc...
snow report
Thanks AthersT. My wife reminded me that my son will still be a beginner snowboard and looking at ischgl the run home might not be suitable.

will read up on the various glaciers. VT is a good thought as that would open up a lot of other options. Went there from meribel this year but the weather forced the visit very short. Will have a look.

We went to les arcs 1950 in march this year and it's lovely but got slushy towards the end of the day. Is this still a viable resort to get a good days skiing in April ? We're going for 2 weeks.

Edit: Cervinia looks like it hits the bill for him. Interesting, def on the short list
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
@djf, Ischgl is fantastic for intermediate level piste skiers. It is open every year until the beginning of May and from experience the piste skiing is still fantastic right up to then, and like this year can be some of the best conditions of the year. Currently there is 186km of open pistes and you can ski right back to the village. 90% of the skiing starts at 2100m or higher and you ski across to Switzerland and back too.

They also hold large free mountain top concerts on consecutive weekends in April, past acts include Elton John, Robbie Williams, Nickelback etc...
Also they tend do discount lift passes from mid April onwards.

http://www.bergfex.com/ischgl

Robbie Williams and Nickelback? No wonder they have to discount lift passes Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ha, they don't actually discount lift passes as such. It's just a low season price, termed ski classic rather than ski magic. Anyway I'll be there on Thursday. Beats the office hands down.
ski holidays
Quote:
Ha, they don't actually discount lift passes as such. It's just a low season price, termed ski classic rather than ski magic.
Too right they don't discount... We were in the area for a late season ski tour one year and noted that a day ticket to pop up the mountain and see Rihanna that year was around the €100 mark Shocked We gave her a miss...

It was a lot more reasonable/normally priced to buy a multi-day ticket - the plan is obviously to deter day trippers.
snow report
We went to Cervinia this Easter and had a great time. Long intermediate friendly runs and amazing food. The snow on the majority of pistes was good for that time of year. It got a bit slushy on the home runs after lunch but you can always download.
snow conditions
You couldn't go wrong with an April visit to Tignes/Espace Killy djf.

It's the most snow sure of snow sure resorts and all of the easy resort runs will still be open.
ski holidays
Thanks @grumpygargoyle and @mountainaddict. Our instructor(ess?) this year was from Tignes and she was excellent so that would be good to use her again. Took me a while to understand download Smile so, with Cervinia, it sounds like you stay high where the snow is nicer during the afternoon and then gondola to avoid the slush on the way down.

What's interesting from these replies is that there does appear to be lots of options, obvs who know what the weather is going to be like but there are options. This is good, so I can start to get picky and my list of requirements are rising Toofy Grin

Requirements now are:
Piste based runs suitable for (early) intermediate skiers and a beginner boarder
Runs that we can get a reasonable day out of before they're mush
Enough access to keep occupied for 2 weeks
Ski in and out
Close to main slopes, gives kids option to stay at home
Self catering - 2 bedrooms
Pool access (board shorts allowed), Sauna (would be nice)
And to top it off, easy transport from and airport accessible from Southend (this one could be tricky but basically anything from Geneva would work)

Top on the list from reading tonight are:
1. Val Thorens (or Les Menuires)
2. Cervinia
3. Tignes
4. Les Arcs 1950

(I really liked Les Arcs so it would be top, just a bit worried about slush in the afternoon)

Thanks for the input everyone, greatly appreciated.

djf
latest report
@mountainaddict, I paid 160 euro for 6 days at the end of April a couple of years back which is very reasonable - that was with the concert, can't remember who it was.
latest report
As this is in the garden this morning at 1,400m Cool

And check the Webcam out, not that it will stay that long

snow conditions
@djf, I loved cervinia but I was there for a week, it does link to Zermatt which is a great way to ski in Switzerland on the 'cheap' but I think you're possibly right in putting a bigger ski area at the top of your list. I think I may end up in VT next Easter so let's hope we both have a great time!

ps, you're quite right about 'download', we've always called getting off the mountain by a lift 'downloading' but I wonder if that's just us.
latest report
@djf, We did Les Arcs in mid March this year too, stayed in 1950 in fact! I agree, it was very slushy, but we were there in the middle week of March and barely saw a cloud in the sky. We've booked again for first week of April next year and hoping it's no worse, I guess it's a bit of a lottery really. Curious to hear what others have to say about early April in Les Arcs though as I'm a bit paranoid too, but it's the only time we can go!

For what it's worth, I visited Les Arcs in 2015 at the same time of year (mid March) for a day trip and it wasn't slushy at all.. well, maybe a little bit down near 1600 but it was nothing like this year.

I've done Val Thorens mid April this year and last. Last year there was a LOT more open - one run in particular (Boulevard Cumin) down to Les Menuires closed the day after we skied it. This year it had clearly been closed for some time, weeks even.. there was no snow anywhere near it.

That said, I felt there was a LOT to ski in Val Thorens last week so long as you didn't go below the level of the town, I was very impressed. I didn't get bored at all, although a lot of those runs were reds and blacks.
snow conditions
@djf, also look at the Arlberg region and La Tania.

For spring skiing you want an area with a good selection of slope facing South and North for normal conditions and not the quite amazing past 2 weeks! You want to ski the slopes in the sun in the morning (south facing) then move to the north facing ones in the afternoon.

I've been skiing April for the past 17 years, not had a bad holiday yet! Had powder most years intermixed with sun for a cold beer outside in shorts at the end of the day!! Even had a BBQ outside the chalet one year Smile
ski holidays
Have to say this week is turning out to be pants, even after the snow of yesterday, which has all now gone in the valley.

Yesterday we drove up the mountain (Col du Lautaret) and everywhere was sliding as the fresh snow fell of the warm rocks and then carried on below as you can see from this pic.

And the snow so quickly changed to concrete as the dogs found out with them nearly getting stuck.

Only thing to do is go really high and then as per yesterday, today and tomorrow, nigh on zero viz.

So yes April "can" be great but as I think I mentioned before you can also catch a grim week, such are the mountains!

See all the slides!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, it was great Sunday and Monday. Your pic doesn't look so grim and of course you need to go high in April - and you're not in a resort where you can fall back on pistes. It looks like it will be epic on Friday afternoon and Saturday. I wouldn't call that a grim week but each to their own.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy