Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

patellofemoral arthritis - knee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning All

after several years of knee pain, finally had MRI and consultant confirms patellofemoral arthritis in my knee . Aged 41 , much football, running, skiing/snowboarding and biking over my life span

Consultant has passed me over for physio and review in 6 months,

anyone else experience of this. what are my long term options etc etc

cheers
norris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@norris, it is a common form of knee pain. It is what it is and you will probably be given some quad exercises and some NSAID drugs.
Thing is.....you can't polish a turd and you will most probably have to come to terms with living with knee arthritis.
Work out what activities aggravate it, and minimise those.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What Frosty the Snowman says plus, in my case, keeping moving without, if possible, flexing the knees beyond the threshold where the pain becomes sharp. I've got more than enough flexion to ski, and I can ski all day with very little pain. If there's swelling and pain at the end of the day (it does generally hurt when I stop) I apply ice. Biking is fine, I wouldn't know about running. I do a lot of Pilates and the only thing I've given up is sitting on my heels, that hurts quite a bit.

This excellent person http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/consultants/ms-claire-robertson/ who is also Mrs Jonathan Bell, showed me some ski-specific exercises and explained that there were loads of options to be explored before surgery need be considered, including injections, and wearing a brace. For the moment I'm just keeping on as normal, and skiing without any mechanical assistance.

Edit - bother, that link doesn't work. The person, who is on the list of consultants and whom I was trying to link, is Claire Robertson.

Now OK, I think.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-04-17 11:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I enjoy the same aliment - best to manage thru exercise to develop the quads and gluts etc. I try to avoid kneeling as its sucks. I can bike, ski & run etc. with out much issue, until I stop - then I tend to use ice.
In terms of surgical solutions (I'm sure its different in every case) my consultant mentioned something about moving the tracking angle of the patella by adjusting the tissue tension either side of the knee cap so that the patella tracked over fresh articular cartilage.
I'm certain someone will tear this explanation apart however, to me the important part was that something (not too drastic) could be done to try to help at the point it became hard to live with.
Knowing what's wrong was a big plus to me and I just get on with things and don't let it bother me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, Take the comma off the end.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cad99uk, ah. Thanks. Not sure how that crept in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Charliee,
Quote:

I can bike, ski & run etc. with out much issue, until I stop - then I tend to use ice.

In terms of surgical solutions (I'm sure its different in every case) my consultant mentioned something about moving the tracking angle of the patella by adjusting the tissue tension either side of the knee cap so that the patella tracked over fresh articular cartilage.

I'm certain someone will tear this explanation apart however, to me the important part was that something (not too drastic) could be done to try to help at the point it became hard to live with.

Knowing what's wrong was a big plus to me and I just get on with things and don't let it bother me.

A big +1 to all of that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the response..

I was rather down about it all - but good to know that it's manageable and I don't need to take up stamp collecting quite yet!

Off with my kids aged 5 & 3 skiing this weekend for the first time , so really want to be on snow for the foreseeable future.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@norris,

There is a lot that can be done with physio for patella femoral pain.

Some knees prove to be more difficult to settle than others but i would certainly try your local physio first.

If you struggle you could consider seeing Claire, but give it a month or so before going down that route as it may respond readily

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got the same diagnosis mid last last year , aged 42 . Lots of tennis in my youth probably did it.

Small worn out part of the kneecap , so pain caused as this sort of sticks rather than gliding when moving about.

Consultant said nothing can be done (other than full on knee cap replacement which will totally knacker mobility). He suggested I stop running and take up cycling (lower impact).

As I love running , I said sod it and carried on. Does not hurt when I run .

Skied twice this season , no major issues.

For all I know it has been stable for a decade or more. Not guaranteed to degrade.

Was a bit fed up post diagnosis , now feel better.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonathan Bell, thanks - we have a good physio here in Dorking ( Massimo Barcellona) who several of my family have had great results with. So will explore this. Guilford has a 15 week wait on the NHS!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,
I have knee issues (won't go into that, too boring) but I use Devils Claw. This is a herbal pain killer. It takes about 6 weeks to feel the benefits but, for me, it leaves me pain free and better than daily paracetamol or other chemical relief.
Available fro Holland and Barrett.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy