Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick Trip to Chamonix or Morzine - Still worth it??

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice much appreciated

Am I too late to take a quick 3 Day trip to a resort near Geneva, leaving Sunday 9th April

1st Choice Morzine / Les Gets (as I haven't been there before)

2nd Choice Chamonix

I've checked online Snow Reports and read the ones on the forum here, but I'm not sure.

Have seen some worrying Webcams showing Nada Snow, and reading the reports here suggest very bleak.

Open to any other options, although just got back from Flaine a few weeks back, so would rather try elsewhere if poss. Wink

I'm still a relative newbie, and just now venturing onto Reds

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix was still good last week. Le Tours was good and Argentière even better. Brévent and Flégère getting soft and mushy quite early.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Runs in Les Gets disappearing. We had a couple of hours out this morning, but first thing. Ok for us as we are here anyway and have the car and can travel I think most people staying in Morzine will be going up to Avoriaz and Chatel. We will be most of the time.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 2-04-17 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not been to Le Tour for a while. God knows why but I went to Flegere and Brevant this afternoon an it was like skiing soggy soap for the most part. That was on a cloudy dull day. Without significant snowfall I am not going back there, and that's not going to happen.

The Grands Montets still has a lot of cold snow. The nack is finding a slightly softening part at the right time. The liaison Pendent is now closed for the season, so everything on that side of the hill will probably not see much pisting.

It is a pretty steep place with a few very long runs. They do however change in nature through the day, so you shouldn't be fed up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, food for thought
Thanks for the info

So Chamonix sounds possible
Any idea what Les Houches was like, I didn't get to it last time.

Would probably prefer to go to Morzine / Avoriaz
Any harm if i were to stay in Morzine and Ski over to Avoriaz?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go to Verbier or Zermatt.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Les Gets this weekend, there's barely any snow there even up higher. What about VT?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cisco43, if you don't have a car with you then you will be on very busy buses from Morzine to Prodains or Ardent to access Avoriaz.
If you can go elsewhere you might find it more rewarding.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't book Morzine unless the Super Morzine bubble is open. If not, even though the resort is quiet, the number of English on Easter break will fill the buses to Prodains.

If you're dead set on PdS then stay in Avoriaz or Prodains.

I was there last week and it was really starting to slush up in most of Avoriaz by midday. Whereas in the mornings it's very firm - as a newbie I'd be concerned on both as you'll find it very challenging.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cisco43,
Les Houches is flowering meadows low down. Look at closed pistes online.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz and Linga were good yesterday.
The blue jumps in la Chapelle Park were closed, as was the old cut through on the Star Wars run but otherwise all good.
Coup du Monde ran beautifully, the top of Combe du Machon was closed, but you could drop in from Coup du Monde.
No queues, anywhere.
The Magic window of 10:30 - 12:30 had really nice snow too.
Afterwards as the going went from good to soft, as is normal in April.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morzine & Les Houches are VERY low, around 1000/1100m, I would not expect much to be skiable at either at this time of year, Chamonix is a very broken up area & their bus links are not the best, so unless you are taking a vehicle then I wouldn't recommend - might possibly worth staying at Argentiere. I would have thought you'd be far better to bite the bullet & go somewhere further from Geneva, head to Tignes & stay at Lavachet/Le Lac or Val Claret, (all at 1800m or so upwards)if you look at the reports on here there still seems to be plenty of good skiing available. I wouldn't recommend staying down at the lower areas like Les Brevieres at this time of year. Alternatively anywhere with a glacier is probably still good & there's always the 3 valleys! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was looking at going for a 2 Night / 3 Day Trip
Did previously to Chamonix and it worked out surprisingly well, although one does have to be a bit militant on timings.

Reason for choosing those resorts was proximity to Geneva Airport, Acceptable Transfer Time, and Good Priced Flight.
Would happily go to Tignes again, (was there in Dec) or thereabouts if I could find a flight / train at a similar price.
Three Valleys is high on my list, but that may have to wait for a longer trip.

From the good advice here, Les Gets is out, Morzine maybe possible, (dependent on SM bubble) but Avoriaz ideally.
Chamonix, yes its a pain getting on the buses and would prefer to check somewhere new, but it is totally doable for a quick break.

Maybe Verbier is an option, looks like 1Hr:45 from the airport, that's not too bad.
I did look at going to Switzerland last month, (went to Flaine instead) for another 2 Night / 3 day Trip, but Ski Rental was about 3 times pricier than France...kinda put me off, financially speaking anyway.

Well, thanks for all the great advice, looks like I have a bit more to consider...of which one is, save my money and spend next season...but that's far too sensible, boring...and ageeeesssss away
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cisco43, stay in Argentiere, walk to Grands Montets bubble? for a short trip you don't need a huge number of bars/restaurants do you?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not a huge number Wink
snow report
I was in Morzine the last week of March. Lower runs were pretty sketchy, although they were working very hard to keep it skiable.

We only spent 1/2 a day on the Morzine side, didn't get over to Les Gets at all, but there was plenty of good skiing to be had in Avoriaz and over towards Switzerland.

I'm not sure how long they will be able to keep the SuperMorzine bubble going though, by our last day you had to take skis off at the bar near the bottom of the Tetras run and walk down the last 200 yards or so, and the piste which runs under the Zore chair does not exist at all!
ski holidays
Also thinking of a weekend in Chamonix before the end of the month - any apres ski and nightlife at this stage or has that died off ?
latest report
@tarfskier, i would expect still lively...
snow conditions
This Friday is the final 'apres ski' i.e. live band at Chambe Neuf. That will be VERY lively... There will be plenty more parties on besides.

Closing weekend at Grand Montets is always really fun too - though I'm not sure when that is this year?
snow report
cisco43 wrote:

Reason for choosing those resorts was proximity to Geneva Airport, Acceptable Transfer Time, and Good Priced Flight.

Most of Flaine's higher, north facing runs are still good. But lower runs are breaking down.

Why not rent a car and mix it up? Do a little circuit with a day in each? Geneva > Flaine > Chamonix > Verbier > Geneva
ski holidays
Thanks. Looks like the closing at Grand Montets is early May. I'm going to go over this weekend coming. Seems to be a closing party on in morzine but if the snow is finished there that's not ideal ! Hoping to have a lively weekend both on piste and apres ! Looks like it's Chamonix unless there are any strong counter recommendations ? Thanks !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy