Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first time working a ski season.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't really find a topic explaining exactly what I wanted to know, so apologies if some things have been asked before.

I have just returned from my second ski trip at Les Arcs, and am back to regular life working in an office, I have been doing research on potentially working a season next year. I was just wondering what would be the best job to do out there would be, the only one I would be qualified for is a chalet host or bar staff (from my years as a waiter before university). The language barrier seems like it might also be an issue as I speak no french at all, I am 23 and would be travelling alone.

So what am asking is; What would be the best job for a first timer? Which countries / resorts would be most suitable for a balance of nightlife and skiing? Would it be difficult to meet people my own age not being able to speak the language? If there are any other issues I have not highlighted please let me know, any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dmckillen812, welcome to snowheads.
A very wide question, I'll do a little.
Not speaking French is a bit of a problem but not a show stopper, also you still have a bit of time to start.
Many but not all seasonaires start by doing an inclusive season, i.e. Working for a T.O. who arrange everything but don't pay a lot of money. This is easy and you automatically get friends in resort however ski time will be limited, you will work long hours and not get paid much, if you can hack that it can be loads of fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dmckillen812, you have eight months to learn some French (or German, or Italian), I would go to a lot of conversation exchanges

If you're in a resort in France, I'd say you'd find it more difficult to meet people your own age who aren't British. Places like Val D/Tignes, Portes du Soleil, L3V should offer you what you're looking for. I'd start by contacting all the tour ops although like @jbob says you'll probably be working a lot more than skiing and be rather poor for a few months
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dmckillen812, have a look at groups on facebook too, just search the resort name in "groups" and you'll find them easily
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello and welcome. As jbob has said. Easiest route is apply to a UK ski TO. It is true the money won't be that much in your pay packet but depending on what role you do it can be more than made up for in tips from happy guests. I would disagree with the notion that you won't get much free time. The start of a season it may seem that way but as staff become more adept at their roles, you will find that you can easily get 4-6 hours a day skiing. You have to manage your time & tasks to do it well. Why restrict yourself to wanting to work in just one place. Be a bit more open to others as most TO won't guarantee you a particular resort anyway. As for not being 'qualified'? Well that really isn't a big deal. If you are personable, service oriented and people person, that is far more valuable. Just going back to the money angle. No one really doe's a ski season for the money, it's far more about the life style. If you don't spend all your money on booze, which a lot of seasonaires do, you can still come away with savings at the end and have many more friends than you had before. Good Luck.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Look at Verbier. Everyone speaks English 😜
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Typically the more you earn the less you ski for yourself.

I usually cam home from my '80s seasons cash positive, a little.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @dmckillen812 welcome to snowheads,
Best job must be bar manager, your job is all about keeping the guests happy and listening to them.
You are the person that can make the the holiday for them.

Work on your English, its the best language for bar staff, you can get some tapes to learn the other languages.
Good Luck!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good advice above. If you are a little older then look at the smaller chalet companies too. Also a good option check out www.latania.co.uk which is a handy website with loads of contact details in La T -and Tim (who I think runs the website) has one bar and a restaurant there with many Brits working for him-which may be the sort of thing you are looking for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy