Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing With Hemiplegia Advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Note: Posted first on The Piste yesterday but advised to post here .

Next year I will be taking my son and his girlfriend skiing for the first time. She is 25 and has Hemiplegia on her left side. As I know very little about Hemiplegia I wondered if anyone has any advice ,recommendations or tips on what she should do pre-skiing (e.g.Physio ,podiatrist etc )?

She has mild Hemiplegia and finds it difficult putting pressure on her left foot.

I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me what in practical terms the effect of Hemiplegia is on a skier ? and if the teaching needs to be different ?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Following from from previous thread.

I think it's going to depend on if "difficult" is "hard to do, awkward but can be overcome" or impossible.

I've suffered a stroke on my LHS and learnt to ski afterwards so with determination lots is possible but I've been told my "style" is distinctive - you can't tell normally but when I ski with people who don't know they'll often ask me if I've hurt my arm... (see below).

I have a lack of confidence in my Left Hand leg that is mostly subconscious but means I'm really reluctant to commit to turns or weight that side fully.

Over the years I've been given lots of exercise using TRX bands for support that practice putting weight on that leg and shifting weight from one leg to the other.

Below are some old images (I've improved but couldn't find it quickly) of me whilst learning. You'll see some spasicity in the left arm (it stays in that position all the time when I'm focusing on things).
You'll see me looking at my skis as I lack some propreoception and so can't fully sense where the leg is I have to see it (if that makes sense). You'll see the left leg isn't really weighted.

Hope those help although clearly not a direct comparison.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sweaman22 Thanks again for the input and well done for skiing after your stroke. With a strong will and determination a lot is possible as you have clearly shown.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not check out Disability Snowsport DSUK (http://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/) and book a lesson at one of the UK indoor slopes where they operate. You will get a qualified adaptive instructor who can assess your son’s girlfriend and work out the best way to teach and also provide any necessary kit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
try a skibike. they work great for hemiplegia!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy