Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping up cardio fitness without functioning legs?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So here I am, stuck on the sofa, wrecking my upper body playing on various computer gadgets whilst trying also to do whatever quad and hamstring strengthening/preserving exercises I can and slowly building up to hobbling with a straight back and vaguely straight and not-too-wobbly knees. Not a chance of my normal hill walking, nor even anything on the flat at present, and whilst static cycling may be achieved within a week or so it'll only be at very very gentle levels and minimal resistance - might wreck the poor demuscularised legs, but unlikely to get the lungs much.
So not only am I now chicken legged (never thought that I'd be complaining that my thighs were too thin! - although it's more just saggy flabby at the moment Sad ) but my hard-fought-for CV fitness is disappearing fast.
Can do sit ups, but not really getting me out of puff; some minor upper body work is possible but difficult without legs/knees being brought into play.
So, any ideas?
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gym and a hand bike. Very tiring.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swimming? Or are your legs in plaster/boot? 🏊‍♀️ snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't swim if chlorine, and don't have a local pool anyway (and how do I get there???) Also can't flick or kick out legs.
No local gym, couldn't get there and nowhere to put handbike at home (where do you get one anyway?).

Sorry - maybe needed to make it clear, has to be able to be done at home (no public transport, no local facilities) and fit in with healing badly-wrenched MCLs and whatever other internal mess there is in both knees, minus ACLs (not reconstructed yet, just earlyish days post injury).

I wondered about a bit of jogging on the spot (flat footed) or maybe gentle running on the spot, but the consultant said nothing "impact" - he then expanded that to mean no rolling of the foot and no walking (I think he meant not outdoors and not on uneven ground - which bu66ers me in a rural area!).

Or do I just slob it out for a couple more weeks? Boy am I putting on the pounds and flab - even trying not to eat or drink much... Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Punch bag - should also help with your frustration levels?

As would sex of course...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I doubt it's getting that bad, that quickly..

Chill.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, i agree with @under a new name...you are going to do your head in. It wont be the end if the world to lose fitness, you will get it back when you are able. You shouldnt necessarily put weight on. I slobbed for 3 months and lost 2lb as my husband made sure meals were light and healthy....hairy bikers diet recepies and no 'treats" in the house
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, I was unable to exercise for 5 years and finally had back surgery.....I'm now doing 10 hrs a week in a gym. You will have a much easier time getting back to fitness, but get back you will. As others have said, "Don't Worry too much."
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, on a serious note (though both the activities I mentioned are good for your cardiovascular system wink) it really isn't as bad as it seems now. I remember telling my friend I'd come to her wedding being fat but with one withered yet saggy leg and the reality was nothing like that and she laughed at me for having been melodramatic. Your appetite will eventually adjust to your activity levels and actually I ended up having to make myself eat more as a consequence as I realised I was starting to lose weight a bit after a while and wasn't taking in enough nutrients. The best thing you can do now is eat well (as holidaylover says... healthily) to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need for healing.

I was quite a bit less active immediately post-op than I was immediately post-injury (simple ACL rupture rather than your complex problems) and I was absolutely ravenous and eating a lot but didn't put on any weight and realise now my body must have been using a lot of energy in the healing process after the op. Your post-injury body is dealing with more than mine was and the best thing you can do for yourself now is eat well and focus on taking your stress levels down. I know it's difficult when you just want to be able to actively do something, anything, to speed up the process. But my GP here gave me the best advice... "Animals are far more intelligent than humans... when they are injured they listen to their bodies and lie still while they recover - I suggest you do the same."
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hand Wringer wrote:
"Animals are far more intelligent than humans... when they are injured they listen to their bodies and lie still while they recover - I suggest you do the same."

Officially-approved taking to the burrow it is, then; or lying in the sun and visualising healing thoughts (if the dratted evil-rayed thing ever comes out again!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ actually the ski instructor I referred to on your other thread who wrecked both knees and was also knocked unconscious in an accident did find "meditation yoga" really helpful in terms of both dealing with recovery and the psychological aspect of returning to skiing. I went with her to a session (we had been to more physically active classes together) and it was a lot of "ohmming" and "visualising a little sunshine travelling through your body" etc. and to be honest it "wasn't for me" at that point in time but she said it really did help her - maybe some podcast/audiobooks/DVDs/online guided meditation would actually be helpful for you at the moment? I know it's sounds a bit 'out there' but it's certainly something I would now consider.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Punches, possibly with weights as you get stronger is supposedly good cardio. I suspect youtube has some seated exercise routines. Maybe alternate punching/upper body exercises with abs work?

Burrowing is ok, burrowing, sulking and eating own bodyweight in chocolate isn't...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Randomsabreur, anyone supply me with a certain idiot over-fast unaware skier to practice on?
@Hand Wringer, I actually have quite an interest & background in visualisation, hypnotherapy &the like. First thing that I did was to set the knitting, bead-threading, clean-up and building block parties to work inside my knees (that makes physiological sense to me). So far, seem to be doing a grande job, deserve a nice long lie in the sun now Very Happy
Got all the claim form & reports nearly typed up & ready to scan & print off - boy, what a hassle just when you don't need it- so time to put more into healing etc now too.
There are schools of thought that visualising activity can produce fitness/strength improvements just on its own, so we'll try that too; though lying and thinking about what I can't at the moment do..? Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy