Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent ski boot help required - in resort now

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Currently in Madonna Di Campiglio and need some urgent help.

I have a six year old pair of Nordica Sport Machine ski boots that have been wonderfully comfortable up until two days ago. I am now suffering from bad pain in both my big toes - almost like they are being pushed against the front of the boot. I have never had this before and have changed the way I do up my boots or ski.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to solve it. Boots both have custom made foot beds by the way.

Many thanks

Griggs
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Issue is not toe nails as these are well clipped !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sock issues?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Griggs, Have you checked there is nothing in the toe area of the liner? Obvious I know, but unlikely if on both boots.

Is there any indication that the liner has degraded, and is thereby thinner, so allowing you foot to sit further forward?

If you previously took out your liners, is there any chance you didn't replace a shim layer, which would increase the volume, allowing your foot to sit further forward?

Are you wearing much thicker socks?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Using Falke SK4 socks so quite thin. I have to confess that I have never taken out the liners - boots are always dried using Thermic boot dryer so no smelling issue either !

I might take them into town and ask one of ski shops to take a look at the liners. Could the custom made insole have broken down slightly and need replacing or this unlikely?

Griggs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Griggs, liners packed down so now the boots are too big
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had similar problems recently after my old merino wool socks became worn out with holes. Replaced them with some ever so slightly thicker merino ski socks and had all sorts of problems (Blisters, foot pain) that I hadn't experienced before in my ski touring boots.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing more in the back seat?

Do you now need more support under your arches. I had a problem with my boots about 8 years ago, and an orthotic footbed supporting arches sorted it out. Rarely even unclip my boots during the day now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Griggs,
Quote:

six year old

Liners packed and now feet slopping around, either buy new liners or boots is my advice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does not feel as though I am more in the back seat. Possibly need more support under my arches to stop my foot moving forward. Going to head into town shortly and ask a ski shop to take the liners out and take a look at the state of play.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

six year old

Liners packed and now feet slopping around, either buy new liners or boots is my advice.

How many weeks have they been skied? Liners of well fitted boots shouldn't pack down to a problem level for ~150 days, IME. 6 years old doesn't tell anything about how much they've been skied in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, you must buy better boots than me! My last two pairs of boots both packed out enough to cause me real pain after 11 weeks (70 days).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you been drinking more than usual? I know people who have had issues with their boots fitting after a heavy night
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I know people who have had issues with their boots fitting after a heavy night

That must be an extraordinarily heavy night.

Quote:

you must buy better boots than me! My last two pairs of boots both packed out enough to cause me real pain after 11 weeks

I may well buy better boots (they are invariably top of the range race boots). But that sounds as though yours were too big to begin with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boots have been skied for two weeks a year for 6 years so 12 weeks in total. Shop took the liners out - they were in good condition. Boots were checked to make sure they are the right size for me - all good there as well. It may be that I have not been cranking them up enough on the top buckles so my heel is not being pulled back enough in the back of the boot. It is very slushy here at the moment so there may be a slight issue with getting thrown back in the boots and therefore skiing in the back seat a little.
snow conditions
@Griggs, sounds plausible.
ski holidays
Quote:

Skiing more in the back seat?

That will be it. And as you say - slush can encourage you to do that.
Also once you have bashed your toes they are then tender and apt to scream with much less provocation.
latest report
Probably a combination of factors including liners gradually packing down so there is more room for your foot to move around slightly, and footbeds do (eventually) soften and allow the foot to move around (although probably not after 12 weeks). But if it is the ends of your big toes that are sore it has to include leaning back on your boots which will pivot your foot forwards so your toes hit the front of the boot.
snow conditions
@Griggs, how do you put your boots on? Before fastening any buckles bang your boot heel on the ground a couple of times to make sure your heels are at the back of the boots, then fasten the top two buckles before the front two
latest report
Hi All

Many thanks for all your responses to my in resort boot issue.

So whilst in resort as reported above I took the boots to a ski shop who checked the liners etc and could find nothing untoward. The day after I first posted I cranked up the boots more and tried to not get in the back seat at all. Pain did not reoccur to the same extent - I suspect that the damage had already been done and the end of my big toes were very sensitive due to the earlier issues.

I have a trip planned to Serre Chevalier in January 2018 so am going to use the boots then and see what happens. If the same issues occur again then I will look to purchase a new pair of boots before my March 2018 trip when the old slush will be out in force again !!!

Will post a TR in due course on Madonna Di Campiglio for those SH's that want to know more about the resort.

Regards

Griggs
snow conditions
@Griggs, have you done a shell check to see if the boots are about the right length for you? Remove the liners and place your foot in the boot so your toes just rest against the front of the shell. Then measure/estimate how much distance there is between the back of your heel and the rear of the boot (it's easier if you have someone else do this with a torch). Let us know how much space there is at the back of your foot.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/WZx4GYLS5FE

http://youtube.com/v/Byj0wywypqM
snow report
Hi

Just a quick update on the post for those that contributed - and anyone else who may be interested !

I took the boots back to the original fitter today for a health check. Liners are all in fine shape - fitter reheated them then remoulded them to my feet. He also added a slight riser underneath my foot beds so lifting my heels slightly. Shells are all fine in terms of length.

Issue was primarily me skiing in the back seat due to the slushy conditions. Note to self to get my weight forward more and not ski so defensively !!

Bring on January 2018 !!

Griggs
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy