Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended stopover driving from Amsterdam to Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks, family holiday is planned for Chamonix this summer, driving down from Amsterdam (off the Newcastle ferry) It looks a beast of a drive to Cham - does anyone have any recommendations for nice places for a stopover - possibly good for a couple of nights with worthwhile distractions to break the journey? This is the first time we've driven down and not been in a hurry. Before I check out the Michelin guide, any experience of places that have worked for a couple of days with two kids of 10 and 12? Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shortfat007, stayed overnight in a place near Metz in the winter, and only saw it in the dark, as we arrived late and left early without a chance to really explore. Looked like it would be great for families in summer as there seemed to be water parks around. Place was called Amnéville. Hotel St Eloy was where we stayed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shortfat007 wrote:
Hi Folks, family holiday is planned for Chamonix this summer, driving down from Amsterdam (off the Newcastle ferry) It looks a beast of a drive to Cham - does anyone have any recommendations for nice places for a stopover - possibly good for a couple of nights with worthwhile distractions to break the journey? This is the first time we've driven down and not been in a hurry. Before I check out the Michelin guide, any experience of places that have worked for a couple of days with two kids of 10 and 12? Thanks!

You have a choice of driving either via Belgium and Lux or Germany. If you take German option, stoping over in Strasbourg is very nice and kind of halfway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, They could also have a bit of a ski at Amnéville.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@shortfat007, the kids might like this place www.europapark.de/en & it breaks your journey up into a 6.5hr / 3.5hr drive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the info guys, looking into the options re routes and stopovers now, really appreciate the suggestions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends which way you are driving. Good Novotel at Tinquex, Riems, 6/6.5hrs to Cham. Troyes might be better or get to Dijon, which is only 3.5/4hrs from Chamonix
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wild card route is through Switz and Cham by the back door, over the Col de Forclaz and Montets, it's not quite up to Stelvio standards, but it beats the peage!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have done the trip a couple of times...I reckon Besancon is a good stopover place up in the hills of the Vosges ..you will get to Lux about lunchtime and fill up there and about 3 hours to Besancon...a nice scenic trip then down to Geneva and on to Chamonix..the advantage is no tolls and a cheap fill up
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We drove Ijmuiden to Avoriaz a couple of years ago, going down through Germany, then Basel and Montreux. We started looking (on the web) at hotels in Basel, and worked our way out to Schallstadt (near Freiburg - a very nice town), where we stayed in http://www.hotel-ochsen.de/. You have to factor in the Swiss motorway vignette, but that's offset by not paying French tolls.

On the way back, we got an early start and drove straight through to Huizen (near Amsterdam), for a mini-break before getting the ferry back to Newcastle.

Personally, I would aim for the day you drive to the resort to be shorter, given that you'll probably have stuff to do when you get there - that's why we went so far before stopping.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 30-03-17 12:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DaveD, Besancon is in the Jura.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ah well . Embarassed ..I was never good at geography...just map reading lol
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like very expensive wayboc getting to your destination
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, I agree. We live quite near the ferry port in UK, but it would cost far more to catch the ferry to Ijmuiden in the summer than drive to the south coast, as we would still need an overnight stop if the drive was 13 hours. The cost of the ferry is usually eye-watering in summer months too, and the cost of dinner on board equally expensive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy