Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another opportunity to critique (my technique)

Poster: A snowHead
So, into my fifth year of skiing (approximately 14-15 weeks), pushing 40 years old, but still keen to improve...

<p>Themasterpiece from Steven Plummer on Vimeo.</p>

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 26-03-17 19:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
seems I also need to improve my IT skills... How do you post a video from Snowmediazone?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece, as far as I know you can only embed youtube videos; but I stand to be corrected.

If I click on the "multimedia" instead of the "Quicktime Video" thumbnail on the media zone page is does open the video for me (in VLC player on this PC). Not really sure why that is, it's been a long time since anyone posted videos on SMZ Madeye-Smiley

BTW, this may be better in the "Bend Ze Knees" forum, say the word and I'll move it there.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 26-03-17 17:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like you are standing too much on your inside ski, and a bit back on your heels. Priority would be to focus on standing on your outside ski as son as the turn starts, perhaps doing some one-footed drills to develop your lateral balance drills.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar thanks. Yep, I'm rubbish at the stand on outside ski and lift the other drills. And on my heels is probably why I get thigh burn.

@Yoda, please do move to the 'Bend Ze Knees'.

Tried embedding the video from vimeo - sort of working.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMO. Sometimes your feet are too close, at other times too wide....and then on occasion they look OK....In other words - "Goldilocks Legs". Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, Any comments on hand position? It looks a little off to my inexpert eye, but I'm keen to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, didn't notice, and to be honest, who cares? I think too much is made of hand position as, in the grand scheme of things, slightly high/low/wide/etc doesn't make much of a difference. There wasn't an especially effective pole plant which I think is more important than hand carriage, but that's not the priority IMO. Improving lateral balance (which will probably help with a more consistent stance width) and fore/aft control should be the focus.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can you bung the vid on Youtube so it's larger than a postage stamp?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@king key, when I click on it now it opens up full page. But here is the link https://vimeo.com/210146324.

Old Fartbag wrote:
IMO. Sometimes your feet are too close, at other times too wide....and then on occasion they look OK....In other words - "Goldilocks Legs". Toofy Grin

Laughing I think I was experimenting a bit in the different videos on stance. Need to find the 'just right' width though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, didn't notice, and to be honest, who cares? I think too much is made of hand position as, in the grand scheme of things, slightly high/low/wide/etc doesn't make much of a difference. There wasn't an especially effective pole plant which I think is more important than hand carriage, but that's not the priority IMO. Improving lateral balance (which will probably help with a more consistent stance width) and fore/aft control should be the focus.

I suppose I was focussing on whether one hand, and therefore shoulder was too advanced or retarded, so therefore I guess I was really talking about any twisting of the upper torso. However, your answer seems to suggest that it looked OK to you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My advice only listen to rob@rar from the comments so far, he's qualified and experienced at this
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I suppose I was focussing on whether one hand, and therefore shoulder was too advanced or retarded, so therefore I guess I was really talking about any twisting of the upper torso. However, your answer seems to suggest that it looked OK to you.
Actively steering the skis by twisting your shoulders is definitely a bad thing, but that's a different issue from whether a skier carries his hands a bit higher/lower/wider/etc than average. The OP's upper body is fairly quiet from a twisting perspective, so I don't think there is a big problem to fix in that respect.

Hand position is sometimes focused when technique is being analysed. I think it is way down the list of priorities unless it is a symptom of something far worse (such as actively twisting your upper body), or is inhibiting something from happening (such as making a well timed pole plant, or developing lateral separation). If hand position is neither a symptom or an inhibitor I tend to take the view that any difference from the norm is probably more stylistic than anything else, and I don't think it's my job to force my sense of 'style' on someone I'm teaching.

Hand position is sometimes focused on as teaching tool, particularly for changes to balance (lateral as well as fore/aft). This is almost always as a proxy for something you are trying to achieve. For example, if a skier is "in the back seat" this will be the result of insufficient ankle flex, excessive knee flex and insufficient flex at the waist, which combine in various proportions to push the skier's centre of mass above the back of their feet or worse. Asking a skier to hold their hands higher or further forward can change their movements at ankles, knees and waist, but often it has no effect and sometimes makes the situation worse.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The hand thing is interesting - it's often one of the most visible signs of whether someone is skiing actively or passively and/or comfortably or struggling. But as rob says a symptom rather than a cause I think. If i look at the still frame the hands seem reasonable relative to the body just that the body seems rather too laid back. I personally find thinking about my hands quite helpful in ensuring I get a good "attack" stance where I am going to be doing the skiing rather than have the skis do skiing to me but I have seen people with pretty good lower body skiing doing all sorts of horrible things with their arms. One things for sure - really good skiers don't do the stupid pole twirls nor open doors extravagantly - they are conscise and precise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If i look at the still frame the hands seem reasonable relative to the body just that the body seems rather too laid back.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've also been told my skiing is laid back, both in a good and bad sense. It's interesting how different it feels compared to how it looks!
ski holidays
@rob@rar,
Quote:

I think it is way down the list of priorities unless it is a symptom of something far worse (such as actively twisting your upper body)

I think that was sort of what I was getting at. I wondered if there was a little too much twisting going on. [Please understand I wasn't actually trying to critique @Themasterpiece's skiing, but trying to learn about my own skiing from watching his. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:

I personally find thinking about my hands quite helpful in ensuring I get a good "attack" stance where I am going to be doing the skiing rather than have the skis do skiing to me
Likewise.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I wondered if there was a little too much twisting going on. [Please understand I wasn't actually trying to critique @Themasterpiece's skiing, but trying to learn about my own skiing from watching his. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, perfect sense. I thought his upper body* was fairly quiet, he certainly wasn't actively steering his turns with his upper body. Maybe out would become an issue if he wanted to tighten up the turn radius (at the moment he's not getting a lot of performance from his skis as he is not well balanced on the turning ski, so it will be difficult to tighten the turn without doing something different.

* Themasterpiece apologies for talking about you in the 3rd person. Hope this is OK.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
I think too much is made of hand position as, in the grand scheme of things, slightly high/low/wide/etc doesn't make much of a difference.

In my own particular case, if my arms aren't forward, I don't feel comfortable at speed....and arm position (for me) becomes even more important in bumps, though I'm not a particularly good mogul skier....but every little helps.

I like to have my elbows away from the body and my hands wider than my elbows....and I try to have my arms a little closer in bumps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy