Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - tips and advice for first visit

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm off to St Anton with my wife and son for a week this weekend. We've mainly gone to France in recent years and this will be our first time in SA, so was looking for any tips and advice from any of you folks familiar with the resort.

I'm actually quite looking forward about going somewhere different but just wanted to check a few things. (probably should have checked before booking but it was a late deal that I didn't want to miss out on). I've read it described as a resort for "experts". I wouldn't describe any of us as that, although me and my son are reasonably confident and will ski any red and the occasional black so hopefully should be fine. My wife has a number of years skiing but is less confident and prefers to cruise the blues. Will there be sufficient runs there to keep her (and therefore me wink ) happy? Any recommendations of nice runs for her?

Also any tips on where the most snow-sure pistes are likely to be as its quite late in the season and been quite warm recently. Obviously high-up and north-facing would be best but any particular ones we should look out for?

I've also read SA has 'infamous' après ski. To be honest we're happy with dinner and a few glasses of wine in the chalet before bed, but hopefully as long as we're not next door to a nightclub it shouldn't be a problem? We're staying in the Nasserein area of town. Anyone know if that's particularly quiet or busy?

Any other hints and tips about the place?

Cheers. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SlipnSlide, St Anton is a great choice for variety of skiing and atmosphere. A few generalisations from me. I'm sure resort experts will add detailed tips and latest information.

Nasserein is a good location. Handy for quick access to mountains. Away from the often noisy and boisterous atmosphere of town centre.
Plenty of pistes for your group's preferences, not just advanced. Compared with many French resorts I'd say St Anton pistes less groomed and tend to be gnarlier. More Chamonix-esque than Courchevel perhaps?
The new lift links to Lech and Zurs make it much easier to access (used to involve 45 minute bus trip). Skiing there generally easier, a bit more cosseted. Lech and Zurs may be a good place to head early in the week, to build up confidence. Lech is also an attractive well heeled village.

The apres and nightlife is legendary, from afternoon onwards. Again there's something for everyone. Just watch your back if you ski down below the slopeside table-dancing bars late afternoon!
Be interested to see how it goes - enjoy.

No doubt you're keeping an eye on the weather and snow conditions thread?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125658&start=1240
Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I cringe everytime I hear about underconfident people wanting nice blue runs and St Anton. Get over to Lech & Warth and enjoy it there. Stuff gets pretty busy in the St Anton area and you have to look after yourself.

That said Nasserein is good for uplift -if you get there opening time before buses disgorge and deosn't have too many Cloggie drunks wandering the streets at 6pm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few recommendations, and one piste suggested to avoid, in a snowHeads review from earlier this season...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130241&highlight=anton
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SlipnSlide, for less crowded skiing try Rendl area. The long piste R1 from gondola top station down to St Anton village is a good leg warmer, not challenging but with fast cruising sections. Most of the Rendl runs are easy going. Also on Rendl, after fresh snow fall there are easily acccessible off piste loops close to upper pistes above gondola station.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SlipnSlide, looking at the condition right now (I was there a couple of weeks ago) I would absolutely go to Rendl first day to warm the legs up. Rendl the snow better than the gampen side. From mid mountain down in st Anton and lech it will be a bit of a slush fest. Keep to Rendl, stuben and Zurs and you'll find the best snow.
Enjoy - my favourite resort

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-03-17 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Warth is mostly North facing as well and good for a day visit, you can get a lovely circuit around Zurs as well, moving from side to side of the mountain to follow the sun and then stay on the North facing side in the afternoon.

Are you just there for the weekend, ie 2 days skiing?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The new lifts do NOT make it easier to get to the blue pistes of Lech and Zürs for less confident skiërs. Strange advice.
St.Anton indeed is less suited to those who prefer blue and other easy pistes.
Lech is, but is better reached by bus, because exactly the pistes connecting St.Anton to Lech are, well, challenging.... (Valfagehr after 10.00 am, Madloch all day...)
And a less confident skier travelling from St.Anton to Warth....well, not really efficient time-planning, is it?
Why o why do people post such strange things in internet-forums?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 30-03-17 16:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SlipnSlide, Take plenty tee shirts and Factor 50, and stay high and ski early. Drink beers and prosecco on terraces pm.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Langerzug wrote:

And a less confident skier travelling from St.Anton to Warth....well, not really efficient time-planning, is it?
Why o why do people post such strange things in internet-forums?

Well what do you suggest. Admittedly I had to cancel my trip(s) this year but what bit of St Anton area has cruisey blues that aren't over trafficked? At least getting the buss over to Lech or Stuben gives you a bit of an option (& no I wouldn't recommend anyone nervous tackle no 4 to Alpe Rauz most of the day, third biggest sh;tshow in the area - maybe now surpassed by Madlochjoch and the lemming itinerary that all those muppets got hurt on this week. (Happy Valley and the snake past the Mosser being the biggest sh:tshows)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the tips guys. We arrive on Sunday and will be there for the week (1st day skiing Monday). Looks like they have rain forecast for this weekend, but turning colder after that with possibility of light snow so hopefully might improve the pistes a bit.
I had a look at this online piste map for some of the areas that you recommended. Think I found Rendl which looks like its bottom right of the map on the other side of the valley to main St Anton area? Struggled to find Warth though. Is it the little area right in the top right hand corner of the map? Doesn't seem to have any pistes marked on map there. Is it a bus trip to get there from st Anton or can you get there by lifts and pistes?
https://cdn.j2ski.com/piste_maps/o/AT/Arlberg_Piste_Map.jpg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SlipnSlide Warth on the bus will take you about 5 hours 😜, road is closed in winter and youd have to go via Dornbirn.

I'd suggest Rendl blues and over to Lech for easier skiing. Warth is great but I'd say it's too late in the season for that area, best January lots of south facing slopes and gets very slushy pm, icy am.

Have fun, get out as early as you can and sharpen your edges, could get icy. Lovely time of the year for cruising about and like I said above long lunches.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OMG....Warth is known for its north-facing slopes....it was one of the reasons for Lech to make the connection...
(But still too far out from St.Anton for a timid skier)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 2-04-17 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OMG....Warth is known for its north-facing slopes....it was one of the reasons for Lech to make the connection...
(But still too far out from St.Anton for a timid skier)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Warth has the highest snowfall in Austria, non?
ski holidays
@SlipnSlide, can't remember the number but the blue down to St Christoph was my wife's favourite when she had only a few week's on skis.
ski holidays
I think its best not to know much at all about a place your going for a holiday.
If you know too much, where is the adventure, and thats what we love about skiing..
going into the unknown.

That said you'll have a great time.
There is some tuff stuff in St Anton, but most people dont ski it and dont need to.

Make sure you take the easy slope down to St Christoph, then have lunch in the Hospitz, make sure you go to the loo while your there too.

Thats enough clues, go and enjoy Stanton.
latest report
Stay in Lech.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy