Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler - Week Following Presidents Weekend???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Considering a trip to Whistler next season. Planning to arrive into the resort on Sat 17th Feb (to coincide with school half term holidays) and have been told it will be very busy because its Presidents weekend. My question is - will it just be busier over the weekend or would people normally stay on in the resort for the week afterwards making it busier than normal all week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickr, Lots of USA folks now take the rest of the week off too - so potential for it to be busier than normal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bones, thanks, that's what I suspected. Are we talking huge queues all week? I hear they can be a problem even under normal circumstances?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did the same this year, to be honest it wasn't that bad, the weekends were busy but we never queued for more than 15 minutes. The absolute key is to be up early though, queues at the base were horrendous post about 9:30am, although they do move quickly. Once you get up past mid mountain, we found that the area is so big that it spreads people out well.

We absolutely loved it so I wouldn't let it put you off, however it's worth doing some planning before you go, we were with our mate who lives out there, so knew which lifts would be quiet, where the good snow was etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Northernhills, thanks for the heads up. We've actually decided to go the first 2 week in the new year. More of a gamble with the snowpack I guess but should be quieter, particularly the 2nd week. The issue with getting up the mtn really early will be my daughter being in ski school so we wont be hitting the lifts until around 9am I guess.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't have kids, but one of my mates is an instructor and you drop the kids off around 08:30-08:45 next to the lifts and you can go straight up so you should be Ok.

One other tip that will make more sense when you get there, is if you are skiing Whistler Mountain don't be afraid to use the 4 man chair to get up from base. Everyone packs out the gondola which is quicker (as you have to change lifts on the 4 man) but if it's really busy the chair can be a good way to get up the mountain efficiently!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent, good to know!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Northernhills wrote:
Did the same this year, to be honest it wasn't that bad, the weekends were busy but we never queued for more than 15 minutes.

Can confirm this was the case. The majority seemed to just come for the weekend. Would expect similar next year, although we will have to see what effect the epic pass has.

First 2 weeks of the year should be really quiet, although weekdays outside holidays are always pretty quiet. Expect the weekends to be a lot busier (5-10min queues for lifts). As said above the main bottleneck is getting up the mountain, but you can avoid this by arriving early or taking Fitzsimmons then Garbanzo chairs rather than the gondola. Blackcomb is usually quieter than Whistler. Conditions at that time this year were good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It really depend on your luck. If the top of the mountain is open, it spreads people out. But when the wind or the fog closes that down, which is actually quite frequent, it really jams the mid-mountain lifts.

I was there in March, not even on a weekend. The wait was MORE than 15 minutes on EVERY lift in one of such days! So if the same condition happens on President's week, it can potentially be worse.

But like snow conditions, you have no control of weather either. The only thing you can control is when to be there. If you can go at other times, do that. But if President's week is the only week you can go, just keep your expectation in check. You may be pleasantly surprised.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
But when the wind or the fog closes that down, which is actually quite frequent, it really jams the mid-mountain lifts.

How are you defining "quite frequent"? I've been here all season and i wouldn't agree that it frequently gets shut down. Maybe you just got unlucky.

Quote:
I was there in March, not even on a weekend. The wait was MORE than 15 minutes on EVERY lift in one of such days!

I'm guessing that was on one of the big powder days? Lots of snow brings all the people and can mean the alpine gets closed due to avalanche danger. Kind of sucks if your just up for the day, but usually means awesome conditions the day after when they get it open. If it's looking like one of those days you have to go to blackcomb because they usually get more lifts open and quicker, queues are usually smaller, and the lower mountain has way better skiing than Whistler lower.

Whistler has its negatives but honestly non-holiday weekday queues are not one of them. You could get unlucky, but I wouldn't worry about it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nickr, I am with @abc, on this it is more luck than anything.
We went in "Discovery" week only to have all the top lifts closed most of the time with avalanche risk so Whistler Red & Emerald lifts were a pain. The dumps of snow also brought out the locals which added to the issue. There are plans afoot to build a load more lifts and in my opinion not before time. On the plus side they do manage queues really well so at least there is no European funnel barging needed.

As @boarder2020, Garbanzo lift is your friend in these conditions though it does limit the runs available on Whistler. Also I agree Fitzsimmons/Garbanzo up is much faster than using the Gondola. They upgraded the Gondola on Whistler allegedly but all it means is you get a seat for the 20min ride up where previously you stood. No extra capacity which seemed a waste of opportunity to me.

What you need to do in these conditions is go across to Blackcomb; Gondola is all in the same place, as they have many more mid mountain lifts so it tends to get spread out more. Much more complex mountain I have never got my head round personally in over 10 years.

Daughter is a supervisor in ski school and they do manage the kids brilliantly. Drop off is in many different places depending on what you are wanting as they run 4 different "Pods". Village, Creekside, Blackcomb & BaseII. She is hoping to do next year but needs to get a Visa which is on-going. So check the various programs available and where they are in relation to where you are staying.

Most years base is good even by Jan1st, bigger issue is cutting down the skiable terrain with top lifts not opening. We did New Year once and if was a pain.

Remember the free local guides which split up as per level of competence. Also if you go in Max4 lessons, which are not expensive, you jump the queues.

Also always get in to eat before 11:30 anywhere !!!! If you want to sit down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boarder2020, @boarder2020, @Jake43, fantastic guys, thanks v much for all the advice. We're all booked in now for the first 2 weeks in Jan staying at the Delta Suites. I think its a 10 min walk to the lifts but fantastic value for what appears to be pretty nice accommodation. Fingers crossed for the snow now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nickr, We always do the Delta as we like the suites, it is no more than 10mins all pedestrianised. Do be careful not to get room 2206 though as it is right over the Bar and very noisy. Get moved. Not sure how they think they can actually sell that room.
Best is looking out the back of either block 1 or 2 (Swiming pool/gardens) as if you are over the other side the club kicks out at 2am ish and wakes you up with load idiots having fun shouting to each other. Especially bad on you first night when you have gone to bed early after the long travel.
We always do own breakfasts in room then eat out most nights. 2 super markets for food. Biggest is just short walk down main street then at the bottom nip through the pedestrian walk way and you are there. [Note you need photo id to use a credit card !] The other is up into the village half way on the Village Stroll to the Lifts. Bit smaller so we do tend to use the other more.

Not sure if you are hiring skis but you can leave them up in the Plaza by the lifts. We use Summit which is right next to Ski School (Under the Hilton) in the plaza and they do free ski storage. Carry up ski boots change at Summit and then leave walking boots there until dropping off skis again. You can rent space in Carlton Lodge if you have your own gear, which is just across the way.

There are many threads on here for Whistler but if you have any specific questions do ask.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jake43, thanks that's really helpful. We've booked with Ski Safari so will ask them to try and guarantee a room in Block 1 or 2 overlooking the pool. Thanks again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy