Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it essential to ski if a little one is learning?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We landed back from Åre, Sweden this morning and I think if I could I'd sell up here and move tomorrow...but that aside...

Our (nearly) 3 year old had her second ski trip of the year and although most of it (for her) was spent in the pool and on a sledge, she can now walk/skate in ski's, which is great progress from last month where she couldn't even stand up (admittedly the boots last time were at least a size to big) and seems to be okay on very slight inclines so long as I'm holding the ski reins.

So...my dilemma is this...

I've always skiied a bit and boarded a bit more, this year I thought I'd try and commit fully to boarding and whilst finding it pretty frustrating (struggling to get to grips with my first owned as opposed to rented board), I think I'm more comfortable on a board than on skis.

I deliberately didn't take my board with me however to Åre and had a lesson to refresh my skiing, which went better than expected, but when I was let loose on my own, I found myself sitting back, struggling to keep my skis parallel (i.e. unintentional breaking with one ski on anything with any sort of incline) and increasingly paranoid about some kind of ACL/MCL injury (no reason other than reading this forum too much)!!

My wife had 1 session boarding (in awful conditions) and hated it, but now despite some initial concerns is getting increasingly confident on skis, the little one will initially ski (as everyone does, I think?) and then when she's a bit older can choose herself if she wants to try boarding or not...but, whilst she's learning, should I bite the bullet, get over my ACL phobia and just ski, or does it not really matter (ski reins will be trickier on a board etc.)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@vjmehra, tricky but a nice dilemma to have.
I've skied lots and boarded a fair amount but less. I think for a season or two, when with the child, I'd ski. Much easier to help when needed than if on a board.
However I'd plan some time to swap to a board during the week, especially if conditions suited.

Never used reins when my son was a similar age. They look risky to me. Didn't need them.

In 2 or 3 years, especially if your daughter has lessons, you probably won't keep up any more!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't board but have got kids who've skied since they were three. When with young kids I imagine the choice isn't so much about how I slide over the snow but how easy it is to help them out, carry stuff, pick them up etc. I may be wrong but I reckon having one board of my own to deal with while helping them would be easier than two skies and two poles.

I wouldn't worry about reins either. We never used them. If they did get a little out of control I could always get in front and downhill of them and control them.

Ours are thirteen now... great skiers, fit and almost no fear. The problem is keeping up with them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@vjmehra, I've never skied, and thought that when the kids (now 5 & 7) were starting to learn to ski that I'd probably have to learn too so I could be 'useful' to skiing wife when wrangling the children.

I never got around to it, and bottom line is, it really hasn't mattered. I've continued to ride, normally taking the rear sweeper position and its just not been an issue, if they fall I can get in just as close (and more competently) to help get them up, in fact its easier because I've got both hands free and I can kneel in close to help them, or gather up detached kit.

Only issue is, kids now want to learn to snowboard like daddy already, much to Mums chagrin. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love both, especially telemark I even have a telemark snowboard (now THAT's a learning curve Shocked) And I find that as long as you are competent on either you'll have no problem in staying with and helping yer sprog. And stop worrying about hurting yourself that's what'll hold you back from learning good technique in either skill. Though within a couple of holidays (years) the wee snotminer will be leaving you in her spray so whatever you choose you'll have up your game too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Telemark snowboards exist, wow! That gives me a whole new topic for Youtube this evening Happy

Thanks for the advice so far all, sounds like I'm better off sticking to my stronger discipline (although will probably get some dry slope ski lessons with my wife over the summer anyway just for something to do Happy

The whole worrying about injuries thing is only a minor concern in reality, I just mentioned it to emphasise my lack of confidence on skis really, it doesn't play on my mind with an instructor, just if I'm on my own due to limited snow time I guess (that said if I didn't read about a new ACL injury every other week on here I'd probably feel better Happy. On a snowboard its not really on my mind (but I do have crash pants and a back protector)!

Oh and I fully expect her to be outpacing me within a couple of years...infact I'd be dissappointed if she didn't Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vjmehra, 'Teleboard'
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After 17 years on a snowboard, I put some time in to find my ski legs again a couple of years ago as my boys started to learn to ski. In the first year with a 5 year old, it was 'fun' to ski with him between my skis in front. We then paused on family ski trip whilst baby 3 came along. So, 'back on it' last year, the boys had first proper week long trip, (aged 3, 8 and 10), and the oldest two having gotten to 'main slope' ready level at Hemel - i hired ski's such that i could go with them in the afternoon.

In 'poor' snow conditions (icy mornings, slushy afternoons) - it was apparent that being on ski's was more a hinderance than a benefit (my recent inexperience and lack of technique). And as per @Richard_Sideways, I went back to the snowboard where I was confident.

I won't bother on this years trip, even thou it would be nice to perhaps do similar as our now 4 year old progresses out of the kids ski gardens.

I figure that i am not teaching them to ski, as much as being on the slope with them to guide them and keep them out of trouble! (they can learn technique in their lessons...)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my opinion it would be best to ski until kids are "good enough". Being on skis let me teach the kids (so long as ESF weren't looking), hold them upright, skate up the mountain to assist when they fell behind, etc. And big problem on a snowboard is beginners (including kids) will likely be on green/blues/shallow slopes/cat tracks on which you don't want to keep stopping on a board.

Also I'd say the "average" snowboarder still falls over, or ends up making sudden board movements to retain balance, a little too often to safely stand over toddlers - especially at slow speed.

For me the kids were a reason to get back on skis after years snowboarding. Good fun but probably be back on the board once kids have done two or three weeks and I can no longer keep up!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also went back to skiing as my two learned. Thought it would help a lot to demonstrate things if/when they had difficulties. It's also been beneficial for me as I've taken lessons and (shock) actually improved! Instructor this year said I was on the cusp of "advanced" - well I certainly feel better, and less fearful of bumps and steep pitches, but still feel I'm "catching up". I never felt that with boarding as I had excellent lessons and no bad habits to start with. Aside from a few rubbish days on ice in about 2010, not sure I've done boarding for over 10 years now, so I might get a rude awakening next time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I too went back to skiing after boarding for around 10 years when my little ones started learning and for reasons like kerb, which was basically so I could act as a supplementary instructor during the afternoons. I also had a 4yr old and felt I could "rescue" him (like Richie S) if he got tired half way down a slope - which happened regularly.
If you are confident in your boarding skills and are happy then I would stick to boarding given you are struggling with the skiing - sounds like you would have more issues with being on skis which would be more of a hindrance than a help.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

sounds like you would have more issues with being on skis which would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Very good point and probably very true!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I also had a 4yr old and felt I could "rescue" him (like Richie S) if he got tired half way down a slope - which happened regularly.

An interesting point - This happened a couple of times with our youngest when that age - full on shutdown. Wife brought him down between the skis once and she was collapsing by the end of it, having to basically lock into a snowplough all the way while supporting Jnr. The other occasions involved me bringing him down, basically carrying him - I'm a competent enough rider to do it and know that I'd probably not fall unless something extraordinary happened, and to be able to protect him if it did, but if I'd have been on skis I'd not have been able to do that.

Now he's bigger, and getting better on skis, we've not seen these shutdowns happening and the problem is now reigning him back in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never skied started daughter off skiing at 4 in this country before we first took her away so she had the basics down. She had lessons in the morning and came out with me in the afternoon and was soon zipping down blues happily. I never found it a hindrance snowboarding with her and she's now an excellent skier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, I skied the Foret cat track in Les Arcs from above Peisey, all the long winding way down, with my son between my legs.... I appreciate how your wife felt! He meanwhile was calling out to go faster or shouting "Kachow! look at me I'm Lightning McQueen" (which dates the episode, somewhat)

This year, it will be a case of me pausing at the side of the piste, watching the older pair as they ski 200/300 meters in front, before setting off again to catch them up - if i can catch them, that is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy