Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines, Megeve current conditions?

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is with me for 2 more days and we usually have 1 outside Chamonix valley. Not fancying Courmayeur too much and wondered if anyone could report on conditions (both on and off piste) at either or both resort.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HammondR, I'm not there still but there only look to be a few runs open in Megeve at Cote 2000 from the status report. I think you will find that off piste is grass. Les Contamines looks to have more open.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-04-17 16:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not there either, but I'd be pretty certain that Les C would be a lot better than Megeve. Go up in the gondola to the big caff, whose name escapes me for the moment (Signal?) and take both stages of the gondola back down again!

The east facing upper slopes in Les C are one of the best bets around, late in the season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just got back from Saint Gervais and the Megeve area was pretty poor. Only a few runs at Cote 2000 open and not worth the bother. I didn't get to Les Contamines myself but others said it wasn't too bad towards the end of last week.

I'm not sure when it was going to close, though. Saint Gervais closed a week earlier than planned due to direness Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't talk from personal experience of skiing as our part of the Evasion closed a week ago (as was scheduled, irrespective of conditions) and then we were fully booked with a wedding all week so wasn't even thinking about getting anywhere near my skis and have spent the last couple of days snoozing on the sunny terrace after a long season to be honest. It is hot and sunny, green grass and budding - rather than falling - snowdrops at 1200m and summer-like (I am going hiking tomorrow). There's been a significant melt going on over the last few weeks and all looks very different snow-wise from my photos of this time last year, so I'd be surprised if either were great to be honest - it's just one of those years in these parts. But it's still not a bad time to be up a mountain - Cote 2000 holds the piste snow pretty well but will be much smaller area than Les C so would opt for the latter for sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks to all for the helpful replies.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'd be surprised if either were great to be honest

So would I, having been out in the mountains till last Thursday! But Les Contamines likely to be less awful than most of the alternatives. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But yes, check closing dates.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Goiny to give Les C a try today, 27 runs open yesterday. Will be a bit strange as had lunch in shorts today, not sure if I should bother with a jacket
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a possibility of us booking a chalet in Megeve for two weeks in Feb and would appreciate some idea of the actual conditions rather than historical snow reports.

My concerns are that it's quite low compared to some of its counterparts. Dates are 10th - 24th Feb and as a fairly large group wouldn't want to comit to a hit and miss resort.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not a hit and miss resort anymore than Morzine and the PDS for example. If there were to be a problem mid February, there would be a problem everywhere in the region.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@homers double, Actual conditions now will tell you that most of the skiing is on grass so it doesn't need quite as much snow depth.

At least your dates don't match the Paris school holidays.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

some idea of the actual conditions

What, now? What would that tell you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Don't be stupid, why would I want to know what the conditions are like in April when I've stated the Feb dates and mentioned historical snow records?

Actual meaning those relevant at the time.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@homers double, I don't think anyone is being stupid. Possibly your request is confusing?...
Quote:

Megeve for two weeks in Feb and would appreciate some idea of the actual conditions rather than historical snow reports

Do you mean you want to know what snow was like in Feb 2017...or what? Puzzled
ski holidays
I drive through Megeve at least 12 - 14 times a season and have skied in next door and same altitude Praz sur Arly in February for the last 15 seasons but being stupid probably can't help.
snow report
Perhaps the "actual" part was confusing so my apologies and perhaps I should have said... Does anyone have any experience of the conditions in mid Feb?
Historical snow reports are giving an average similar to the PDS in terms of depth but do temperatures tend to give poof conditions later on in the day due to the lower altitude?
ski holidays
The EMB doesn't have a lower altitude than the PDS?
ski holidays
@homers double, you would be very unlucky to get poor conditions in EMB in mid Feb.
If possible, own transport provides good back up, just in case. Makes access to Les Contamines much easier. Also separate lift pass area of Chamonix valley, eg Argentiere, not too far away to drive.
On a 2 week break, Megeve is better than most French resorts for occasional rest days and other activities.
latest report
@intermediate, thanks for that, its looking highly likely they its going ahead!
ski holidays
@homers double, you're welcome. Out of interest, wondered which place you're thinking of booking? One in Megeve I've stayed at which is very good. Very Happy
snow conditions
I've skied at Saint Gervais/Megeve over the last three Februarys and it has been fine. Clear skies and good snow first year, cloudy but loads of good snow second year and this year was okay.The lift queues weren't as busy as I'd expected, either.

Okay, it's not a very high area but the skiing is good throughout the day at that time of year.

No guarantees it won't be different next year but we'll be going again.
snow report
@intermediate, it's a private chalet a little out of town.
snow report
@homers double, thanks, different to one I've stayed in, which is 5 minutes walk from church and town square.
ski holidays
The hot tub on the terrace sealed the deal on this one, for mrsHD anyway.
latest report
Just back at work after Easter in Les C
Snow cover was worse than in last few years but most pistes were open until we left (Sat). I see that Les C will get through to its scheduled close (21st) but only just - quite a few more pistes now shut.
The skiing was actually a lot of fun - plenty of options to follow the spring snow round the mountain as it transformed. Late lunches in the sun, lounging on the balcony late afternoon, mustn't grumble!

On @homers double's question, I'd have no worries about booking Megeve in February - conditions have always been fine. Xmas and Easter I'd book late once I knew what the conditions were looking like.
snow conditions
Thank you @jedster, (and others of course) just the sort of answer I was looking for Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy