Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good value packages early April - Hard to find this Season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH wrote:
If he's a good skier it shouldn't be a problem - try some different skis maybe?

Yup the great powder ski fallacy that they are just for Big powder days and redundant most of the time. A pow ski can be skied all through April if you wait out the first hour or so for the refreeze to soften.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
splashrollandplod wrote:
Day before conclusion for April 1 late booking:
1. Very few Scotland flights, none to France.

We're flying from Newcastle this time, and talking to parents at Hillend I'll be seeing at least 2 families of trainees at the airport. Original plan was to ski in Scotland for some of the kids Easter hols, so this was a late booking once local snow confirmed as limited.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
If he's a good skier it shouldn't be a problem - try some different skis maybe?

Yup the great powder ski fallacy that they are just for Big powder days and redundant most of the time. A pow ski can be skied all through April if you wait out the first hour or so for the refreeze to soften.

Same goes for smallish powder boards. I love playing on something like a Salomon Derby/Jones Hovercraft/Sick Stick at this time of year. Slush surfing FTW
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all suggestions and comments. With frequently changing snow conditions and weather forecast, we left booking to 24 hrs before leaving UK. Certainly not a cheap bargain break, but a very well timed and welcome one. My snowbuddy decided to come, tried out several different pairs of rental skis, had a great time and no problems with slush.
In summary:
Bham-Geneva EasyJet flights, 4-10 Apr. Hol Autos rental car (Mazda 3) through Alamo. 5 nts in central Tignes hotel on chalet board. Ski rental from Duch Sports, near Palafour chairlift. 1 night in Megeve hotel dinner b&b on journey home, enjoying spectacular Val D'Arly drive on way. Not far short of £1k each for whole package, but vg quality accommodation.

Snow conditions mostly very good across EK, with just the first day snowy and low vis. Otherwise sunny, pleasant temperatures and not too crowded, considering it was first week of Easter holidays.
We were offered good bargain priced catered accommodation in lower resorts of Tignes (and other areas such as La Plagne) but decided to spend a bit more for the convenience of higher village. The 3 day FrancoFolies music fest in front of Maison de Tignes was an added bonus for the ears.

Referring back to title of this thread, overall I think it was a difficult year to find early April good value late deals. In 2018 Easter Monday falls on 2 Apr, so maybe mid March best to find bargains?
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the update. Glad you got sorted and had a good one snowHead

Out of interest, what were the lift queues like at the Upper end of Tignes, Val Claret & on the glacier ?

We stayed in La Tania last week. Barely had to wait for a chair or more than a gondola or two to get on a lift in Courchevel, but the day we toured to Val Thorens to find better snow we found it pretty busy - packed pistes and 10 minute waits at each lift. Queues spilling out beyond the entry tape, so a bit of a scrum to get in.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gazzza, thanks, it was a great morale booster for me.
Lift queues in Tignes generally very short. Considering it was a GB Easter holiday week for some and a Paris school hol week, I was pleasantly surprised.
At peak times the Lanches chairlift had a 5 minute wait. A bit longer for the Grande Motte cable car. We headed up there during lunchtime and sailed through.
Heaviest queues were above La Daille, eg Marmottes, Tommeuses, Borsat chairs. Even then not too bad.
Impressed with new Solaise gondola, though you had to be sharp loading skis and boards on outside.
Not surprised Val Thorens busy in the conditions we had. Hope you got a good deal and had a great time.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gazzza wrote:
Barely had to wait for a chair or more than a gondola or two to get on a lift in Courchevel

Happy to report it was much the same the week earlier when we were there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy