Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Slush

Poster: A snowHead
Hit heavy slush today for the first time - it's been around but have been simply avoiding it.

I suddenly started to do something right. Felt in control with a firm platform. The pressure on my feet felt different and I thought I was just pushing down harder on the skis.

I think I've now worked out what I was doing. No ankle or knee angulation. Just hip angulation and inclination. The difference I felt was feeling pressure on my feet across the width instead of simply on the inside edge.

Am I on the right lines?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowheads68 wrote:
Hit heavy slush today for the first time - it's been around but have been simply avoiding it.

I suddenly started to do something right. Felt in control with a firm platform. The pressure on my feet felt different and I thought I was just pushing down harder on the skis.

I think I've now worked out what I was doing. No ankle or knee angulation. Just hip angulation and inclination. The difference I felt was feeling pressure on my feet across the width instead of simply on the inside edge.

Am I on the right lines?
Yes. Ski slush like "slow powder". Lots of pressure to bend the ski, minimise twisting of the ski (it takes a lot of effort, and easy to get one or other of your skis to catch a heavy edge). Don't overdo the inclination as there is a danger you'll get stuck on the inside ski. You don't sink in to slush, so being outside ski dominant is not a problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Answer - it wasn't "heavy" slush - you have stopped dead or gone through it to your knees. But corn snow slush is a thing of beauty ski really 2 footed, use the bases to plane through it, in fact ski your bases not your edges.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd take slush over ice any day. You'll not lose an edge and wash out in slush. Madeye-Smiley

Too much of it does become tiring, combined with the fact that warm temps are usually associated with slush puppy time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A little extra speed can help power through it (as well as being more two footed).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Ankle" angulation? Qu'est-ce que c'est le feck?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You'll not lose an edge and wash out in slush

I went a blinder the other day!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use fat powder skis, ski fast and be aggressive - like this slush can be lush!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

You'll not lose an edge and wash out in slush

I went a blinder the other day!! Laughing

You and me both!! Even weirder, I was straightlining it after reaching the bottom of a (blue) slope. Still don't get what went wrong!

Lucky slush is nice and soft wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sparklies wrote:
Lucky slush is nice and soft wink
But it gets everywhere! I once had a ski ripped off by catching an edge in slush, couldn't hold the turn on my inside ski so fell and slide down the piste for what seemed like an age (it was long enough to receive a text message and have time to wonder what it was about - turned out to be an invite to a vodka party). By the time I came to a stop I was completely drenched, with slushy snow everywhere.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
But it gets everywhere! I once had a ski ripped off by catching an edge in slush, couldn't hold the turn on my inside ski so fell and slide down the piste for what seemed like an age (it was long enough to receive a text message and have time to wonder what it was about - turned out to be an invite to a vodka party). By the time I came to a stop I was completely drenched, with slushy snow everywhere.

Yeah, being damp for ages afterwards, even if it's fairly warm and sunny.. I was not a fan of that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
'Ski like a snake' is what I was once told
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
runkmc wrote:
'Ski like a snake' is what I was once told

Do snakes ski? wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, those snow snakes seem to like grabbing skis so maybe they do Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tip #357 - don't have too many Bombardinos before tackling some leetle slush bumps unless you enjoy chin surfing Toofy Grin
snow report
Strips all the wax off your skis though
latest report
Aye lad, that it does. Takes a bit of skin off the chin as well.
snow report
Its not called poor man's powder for no reason. Crack slush and those powder turns you dream of get an awful lot closer.
Slush is a lot easier to find than powder and just as much fun (it's true Toofy Grin).

More good news - it's not technical, yes really.
Bad news - it is tiring.

Get centered and stay centered, focus everything on that, wax up, speed up and keep turning - "ski like a snake" I like that Very Happy
latest report
The other "fun" thing with slush is how easy it is to boot out when setting high edge angles. Once your knee or boot top is splashing through piles of slush you're getting the clue that may be a bit less carving and a bit more pivoting is called for!
latest report
Hmm, thought I posted this last night...must of had too many Smithwick's.
The Key to having a blast skiing slush is a good stiff pair of long, long-radius skis and an aggressive clean-carving attitude. The fun thing about deep slush is you don't need to worry about booting out; dragging your boot toes through the slush doesn't send you adz over tea kettle like booting out on ice would.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy