Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis too stiff/too soft

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've read on various threads about skis being either too stiff or too soft. I get the concept of ski stiffness but I don't know how I'd recognise a ski being too soft or too stiff. Anyone care to describe to symptoms/sensations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie, it's rather subjective but mostly down to ease of turning, or the lack of it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For a ski to work as designed, it needs to be put on edge and pressurized....which bends it into an arc and allows you to turn.

If a ski is too stiff for you to bend, either due to your weight, or your ability, you will have difficulty turning and the ski will feel scary as it "runs away" with you. You will have little turn flexibility, find it almost impossible in moguls and find the tips sink in the off-piste unless going at mach 5.

If the ski is too soft for you, it will feel like a noodle under your feet. It will be unstable and squirrelly at speed, may wash out of turns as it loses edge, will have little life in it and may over-steer for a given pressure/edge as you crush it.

Also, a ski can be torsionally stiff, but have a benign flex.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 23-03-17 17:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Valkyrie, some touchy, feely sensations:

Travelling quickly on a soft ski makes me feel like the ski is going to "give up", perhaps losing grip in the turn, breaking away, bending too much. Basically I have no confidence in its ability to translate my inputs in to outcomes.

Being on a ski which is too stiff feels like it is hard work because the ski is a bit "headstrong", so you can't get it to make the turn shape that you want, it can feel like it is running away with you so not much speed control, maybe it pings you out of the turn. Basically, the ski is dominating me rather than being controlled by me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I think the stiffness of my skis must be fine for me now as I don't suffer from the issues described.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valkyrie, thanks for asking this abs to those that answered. Found it really useful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valkyrie, it's only at the extremes of too soft or too hard that I don't feel happy on the ski. There is a very large operating window of stiffness where it's a case of "yeah, whatever" and just ski it. That's not to say I don't notice the difference in how the ski performs, but generally the inputs I make (both skilled and unskilled) are far more important that the characteristics of the ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea, as @rob@rar, says, it's hard these days to find a bad ski, or one that doesn't really suit, but sometimes you find one that really works.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valkyrie, if you'r a confident skier then too stiff is better than too soft. Soft skis will give up in fast turns, washing off speed and turning a carve into a skid, similar sensation to understeer in cars. Stiff skis you can always apply more pressure to make the edges grip (within reason obv, good luck if you're on GS racers...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dr John, owner of FIS SLs, GSs and SGs...

Disagree totally. Too stiff and they won't work when you need them to. Too soft and you just dial things down a bit.

Softer better than stiffer if you have to have an error.

That said, I'm only 60kgs and have encountered a couple ofn
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, fair enough, just my experience (not my natural inclination to dial down). Was a facetious comment about GS, if you know how to use them not so much of an issue, made an assumption the OP doesn't.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy