Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Jump 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Hemel have put some footage up on Facebook of some of the 'celebs' on skis - mostly talking about how great Hemel is, but a couple of turns too.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154945453192650&id=114296457649
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
I very much enjoyed the Jump in previous years (basically ANY skiing related tv gets my vote as theres not enough) however this year Id prefer them to stick to "core" snow sport activities such as slalom, downhill, snowboarding jumping etc rather than crazy track races that arent winter sport activities and are highly dangerous (IMHO). I doubt any / many of us here on this forum do these "snow cross" activities, so I dont feel that is what winter sports is all about really.
Peter
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mix would be good, but personally not interested in seeing celebs ski down a slalom course - much rather see them smacking into each other on an ice track
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Id eliminate the celebs totally. Could care less about which teenagers who think theyre celebrities are involved. I just like watching winter sport related programming. (Spent 3 hours on Saturday watching Eurosport skiing. Id never watch any other sport fro more than 30 mins)
Clearly tho general public interest in wintersports on tv is low, hence we have only a limited run of BBC ski sunday lasting only 45 mins per ep.
Peter
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Theres a coaching video of them all floating about on YouTube, they get great tuition, jealousy tuition! Mad how much they progress after a day on skis!
One called caprice who I presume is the model from the 80s, she seemed fairly decent for a beginner.
Looks like more slalom etc rather that that stupid stuff this year
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Groom wrote:
Id eliminate the celebs totally

I think they had a good go at that last year didn't they? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Groom wrote:
Hi
I very much enjoyed the Jump in previous years (basically ANY skiing related tv gets my vote as theres not enough) however this year Id prefer them to stick to "core" snow sport activities such as slalom, downhill, snowboarding jumping etc rather than crazy track races that arent winter sport activities and are highly dangerous (IMHO). I doubt any / many of us here on this forum do these "snow cross" activities, so I dont feel that is what winter sports is all about really.
Peter

How many people on this forum regularly ski gates ? 1% if that I'd guess and as for ski-jumping...

No; quite happy with the mix and these new formats of winter sports are becoming much more popular than you'd think; especially with younger skiers. I'm well into my 50s and more than happy to chuck myself down a skier-cross course if I see one. Can't wait for my grandkids to get old enough to race me (my 3 20+ yr old girls despite being good skiers aren't that likely to be interested unfortunately)

Anything that gets people on boards or planks and into the mountains is good IMHO
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have had to "race" my teenagers down the snow cross course, which essentially means I follow them down and only overtake if one of them stacks it. Good fun though! we also get to do the fun ski runs with jumps and obstacles and banging gongs etc with your (rented) poles. Happy to do it a couple of times a day as a break from just regular piste skiing.

I do like watching the Jump, makes me realise I'm not too shabby as a skier compared to various C list celebs. The crazy track races are what make it watcheable, there is already a lot of standing around listening to Davina as it is!
I reckon Wiggins will be decent.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My money is on Kadeena Cox
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's the video of them in kuhtai with Warren Smith. You might want to watch before predicting any winners.

http://youtube.com/v/R5T66AXamIY
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After watching that I think that chap Warren Smith has a good chance of winning. But is he a minor enough celeb?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like a bit of PR offensive after the accidents in the previous series', to say "look how much training they're getting".
@olderscot, It'd be interesting to see their progression from the start of training through to this vid' and beyond before making any predictions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

My money is on Kadeena Cox

she cant do any worse than she did on minorcelebrity mastermind
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, probably right. Although ironically I don't think that many got injured doing the skiing bit, it was always the weird stuff and ski jump that caused the issues.

Not watched whole video but Thomas and Smith looked alrightish, Fowler less so!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Fowler less so!

Being a scouser and a red, I'm interested in seeing how he does. Fortunately his footie career is not at risk Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Spencer looked ok considering he's a boarder.
ski holidays
Quote:

It'd be interesting to see their progression from the start of training through to this vid' and beyond before making any predictions.

I couldn't agree more. Clearly some of them have skied a lot more than others but then you can also see they've got some bad habits that are going to cause them problems.

I suspect the winner will probably be someone who can get their skiing up to a certain level but who's then prepared to really throw themselves into it. Wiggins looks likes he might end up quite a good technical skier but he also seems a bit cautious to me rather than a real risk taker. Mind you, that might just mean he survives the events while everyone else drops out with injuries!

Quote:

Spencer looked ok considering he's a boarder.

I thought that too. Plenty of speed and good edging, even if he looks a bit stilted and unnatural.
snow conditions
I suspect Wiggins did a couple of "team bonding" ski trips hen he first tuned pro but then they fell out of favorites with teams. They were notorious for those who could ski having a good time and the rest getting injured. He won't have been in his later career. He does like learning new stuff and is very used to video analysis so will improve quick. He was never a great/keen defender on the bike though (although all pros are good by normal standards). As long as he stays off the speed he'll be ok... but he does like a pint and can't hold it.
snow conditions
@adithorp, did you see the video of Peter Sagan and the Tinkoff ski trip last year? Sagan looked pretty impressive but was taking a fair few risks (nothing new).

Is it me or are there more sports people in The Jump this year? Maybe they hope that sports people are less likely to get injured (didn't work for Beth Tweddle). Interestingly Kadeena Cox has had her funding cut by BC and UKA until after she has finished the programme and can prove her fitness.

I think most of them look ok on skis, certainly a fair way past beginner level, would be interesting to see their starting point.
snow conditions
Dreadful program and highly irresponsible. Skiing is dangerous and to put these inexperienced people in the situations that they do and expect them to be safe and not injure themselves does our recreation pass time no good at all. The list of participants who have injured themselves is quite long. It is not Celebrity Dancing or whatever.
snow report
The blokes all look pretty solid in the wozzer clip. Smith + Matthews actually look a fair bit better than most holiday punters. Robbie Fowler has some weird t Rex arm thing going on. Rugby boys look fine. Caprice looked like she's done a fair amount of skiing.

Some will get hurt but that's competition
latest report
TCSC47 wrote:
Dreadful program and highly irresponsible. Skiing is dangerous and to put these inexperienced people in the situations that they do and expect them to be safe and not injure themselves does our recreation pass time no good at all. The list of participants who have injured themselves is quite long. It is not Celebrity Dancing or whatever.

Oh come on, they're all adults and have decided without coercion to do this. The issues have been so well publicised that I can't believe any of this years participants aren't aware.
snow report
In the video, Louis Smith does stand on his skis evenly but is banking - given some training, that should be easy to change so IMO he has some promise. Not seen him at Hemel on other 'The Jump' coaching sessions. In the jump/hop turns i watched a group of them doing about a month ago, seemed to me that Vogue Williams was doing cleaner and faster turns with lots of energy and enthusiasm, jumping up / landing, with slope vertically - quite controlled. Since learned she was winner of Bear Grylls 'Mission Survive' 2015. Pretty face - all made -up for the camera's but a very determined and seemingly strong competitor despite the 'make-up'.
WS instructors giving privates to Kadeena Cox and Jade Jones ( you're doing really well. etc. etc...) - both girls at very, very early stage intermediates/parallels ( not really though), about a month ago - no prediction, both coming from a long way back but given their Olympic backgrounds, who knows - i'd say outsiders even though both were training hard / seriously etc.
No other 'stand-outs' from what i saw there. Not all the competitors were at Hemel. No idea about Sir Bradley Wiggins either, professional athletes under contract aren't normally allowed to go skiing. But given their accidents on roads i wouldn't be surprised if professional skiers weren't banned from cycling!

For fun, i'd like to put a tenner or more on the nose of Vogue... Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 14-01-17 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If you've seen Gareth Thomas on other celebrity sports shows, he'll be going all out to win.

Which may be his undoing.
latest report
@Mike Pow, True i have seen him, very strong, very athletic but being 'gun-ho' without balancing and control as you say isn't a winning tactic. Forgot about him actually. Embarassed
snow report
any ideas when it's actually on the telly?
ski holidays
@Tim Heeney, Wiggo has been retired for a couple of months, so I'm guessing this early on in his retirement he has no/very few contractual obligations. Although he'll no doubt be spending more time managing Team Wiggins and has mentioned a desire to set up a ladies Team Wiggins.
latest report
endoman wrote:
any ideas when it's actually on the telly?

Starts 5th Feb I've read.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsoutar wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:

Oh come on, they're all adults and have decided without coercion to do this. The issues have been so well publicised that I can't believe any of this years participants aren't aware.

+1 and it's hardly as if they're just thrown on the slopes and told to get on with it, they're coached, there is strict risk assessments and medical support.
snow report
I completely agree with this:

Quote:

They're all adults. Many of them are successful sports personalities looking for something new and exciting plus of course a sprinkling of 'celebrities', some of whom you do have to wonder what on earth they're doing in the show. One in particular seems to be taking a lot of serious falls in training and you have to wonder how long she's going to remain unhurt.

You do have to wonder how realistic the risk assessment is though. There were a lot serious injuries last year and Eddie Edwards was reportedly axed from the show because he kept raising the issue that someone was going to be hurt if things carried on as they were.

I loved the report in the press saying that there'll be less live action this year for the participants safety "The producers don’t want to risk anything this year and pre-recording most stuff makes it a lot easier. There have been a few injuries on ­camera in the past — not just in training — so they want to avoid those situations... "

That doesn't sound to me as if it has anything to do with safety. More about just being able to edit it out so no-one can see it.
ski holidays
New video up from Warren Smith. I was watching on my iPad so hope this links works.

http://youtube.com/v/iZT5Jw0B0dU
snow conditions
Coo, wish I was being paid to get that level of detailed instruction!
snow conditions
They certainly have come along since Hemel in Nov / early Dec.

With the pressure to succeed, with the TV camera RIGHT ON YOU, having a young able body, with lots of skiing AND with
WS ski academy constantly teaching / encouraging you, I'm not surprised the giant strides some have taken.

It's going to be interesting...
snow conditions
@Tim Heeney, indeed. In fact it's amazing, given the level of the tuition, that some people in previous series have been so poor! I suppose that they may have stepped up the hours of tuition for this year...although not sure how that will stop people doing things like Adlington did.
snow conditions
It may be that this years batch are more engaged in the learning, I understand about recording more of the show as you can then pick a choose the best conditions for the competitors rather than them having to just do it no matter what the weather is doing.
snow conditions
Hmm, whats the odds that with an able group, being well trained and competitive, and not falling over and breaking themselves to bits every 5 minutes, ratings for the show will go through the floor and it won't get picked up again next year.
snow report
It may also be the fact that this year there are far more ex sports professionals that know the worth of a good coach & listening to what they are being told & putting it into practise, over those PITA reality stars.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, true...although iirc some of the reality stars seem to have been pretty good in the past. The short maid from Made In Chelsea was a really neat skier (bit of an odd stance)
ski holidays
A very good promotion for WS. Personal discussions with Fowler, Smith and Jones, no doubt, that's just chance...
This isn't the whole batch of all the contestants but i suspect it's the best of that particular crop. Some tidy skiing by some...
I'm impressed by the vast majority keeping both skis fully planted on the snow with no inside ski lifting to be fair.
I'm actually now wanting to follow 'The Jump'...
It's got to make you want to do a WS course hasn't it ! ? Razz
ski holidays
Not sure why Wozzer needs to be wearing his airbag other than sponsorship reasons.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy