Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Ski hire, use Crystal or Hire in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to Tignes this coming Sat. I'm going with Crystal but as yet haven't booked any ski hire. I'm booked in for a boot fitting with Jo-jo @ Nevada sports on the Sat aft with the intention to buy my own boots. I'm just looking for advice on if I'm better off ensuring I can pick up skis and poles on the Sat via Crystal and whoever they use or if I should just hire in resort? I don't believe Nevada hire skis otherwise I'd likely just use them. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Intersport are always very reasonable and they have branches in both bits of Tignes. I am on their email loop and they had an offer last week that expires this Thursday for a free child pack with x2 adult packs. You can book online but you will need to know everyones boot size etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes Spirit are excellent , they can deliver and collect from your accomodation too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I saw intersport's website. It's me and a pal going. Staying in Tignes le lac. €70-80 doesn't seem too bad for skis as hopefully wont need boots if I've bought my own.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@willski17, Thanks. I'll keep them in mind.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@blacksheep, unless Crystal are running some deals on ski hire I'd say there's little value in going through them. Definitely look to pre-book something though, you're much more likely to get it cheaper with an online rate as opposed to just turning up in resort.

Skiset and intersport are two of the bigger chains but there's bound to be many more available online, so it's worth shopping around.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blacksheep, try this link http://rentskisandboards.com/rentskis/homepage.aspx - you can untick the Include Boots box for skis only prices.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
willski17 wrote:
Tignes Spirit are excellent , they can deliver and collect from your accomodation too.

plus 1 for tignes spirit, altho you may also wish to check out sport 2000 just down the road on opposite side from jo jo's guys shop worth a look
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks again. Sport 2000 looks decent value. We're staying in chalet airelles so not to far away.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with only using Crystal if they are running a good deal.

I'm sceptical about booking online, as it ties you in, so they won't necessarily give you the best they have in that group.

Know the online price and threaten to go elsewhere if you don't like what you hear/see. Competition is high and they are unlikely to let you walk out of the shop.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, that seems sound advice. There does appear to be several shops in close proximity. After a long days travel and I've a boot fitting booked I imagine I'll just be wanting to get some skis sorted ASAP and grab a beer. Then of course there is my limited knowledge of which skis are good and which aren't (in terms of what would suit me). I will be putting my faith in the shops somewhat on that front.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@blacksheep, last time in Le Lac I booked online with skimium. Good price for higher quality all mountain skis. Shop was couple of minutes walk from Toviere gondola.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anybody used Precisionski before? Their prices look pretty good (10% code for email newsletter).

https://www.precisionski-rent.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@blacksheep, I don't ski (snowboard) and no longer rent. When I was setting out i rented for a couple of weeks before committing. Both times we travelled with Crystal, rented via them on the 1st trip, not on the second. This was a good 12-15 years ago, so things may have changed, and might only apply to the particular circumstances.

On the first trip (Alpe D'Huez) I rental the "Upgrade" board and boots, around €20-30 over the standard package. Whilst I was in the rental shop on the second day picking up a longer board I was chatting to the assistant and he made two very interesting points.

1) There was no upgrade package, i.e. only standard hire kit. I did complain to Crystal who refunded my upgrade fee.
2) Crystal took somewhere in the region of 60% of the rental fee as a commission. I was told there was no real scope for discount on the rental fee, but if I had rented direct from the shop that I would have been considered one of "their customers" and service/product might have been superior.

Like I say it was a while back and only a one off, but this might still ring true.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What time are you expecting your boot-fitting to end? You'll have to take the boots along when you hire skis to have the bindings adjusted to them. Have to consider the ski hire shops' opening times!
ski holidays
@Kenzie, I'm booked in at 4pm with Jo-Jo so my intention was to head straight to the ski shop after. I'm anticipating 2 hours for the boots. Hopefully the times work out otherwise it would be a first thing Sunday job to get the skis which obviously I'd rather avoid. Good point though.
snow report
@rogg, I've definitely decided to book direct. The internet has made this process a whole lot easier hopefully.
snow report
In Selva this year Crystal's price for ski hire was the same as the shops..
latest report
@blacksheep, If you haven't already booked then you could also consider Duch Sports who are located at the lower end of the Rue de la Poste. Not fully clued up on their rental prices but my other half demo'd some skis for a day and that was just 17 euros. Very helpful staff too.
snow report
albob wrote:
In Selva this year Crystal's price for ski hire was the same as the shops..

They often are (or at least the same headline price as the shop they're aligned to advertises at). Same for lift passes and instruction.

Going through the TO for ski hire, though, you're stuck with using the shop(s) (often only one) in resort that they're aligned to; which can be a pain if its actually a bit of a distance from your accommodation. And often there are online discounts to be found for a few per cent off the price if you go direct with the hire shop.

TOs sometimes do 2 for 1 deals and other offers for money off the headline price, but in the absence of that I'd always encourage just going direct with a hire shop that you know where it is and that you can find some discount for.
latest report
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've booked through precision ski, costing about £55 for their premium level (6 days). Will report back on the service etc one back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy