Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Precautionary knee brace

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations?

I don't have any specific problems, but I guess there is a bit of a weak link, as I have a bit of arthritis going on in my right knee and I had the cartilage trimmed many moons ago. I twisted the knee slightly while on the slopes last week; we are off out again in 12 weeks time, so I'll be doing the usual knee/stability exercises, along with general leg and core gym work (at my age I can't afford to NOT prepare for skiing!).

I had a quick chat with my physio who suggested using a precautionary knee brace, one that has side stay/hinges, just for when I'm actually skiing, to give some additional support and protection.

There are a huge number out there, with a wide range of prices, and I'm just wondering, before I trawl through millions of reviews, if anyone is in a similar position to me and can suggest a brace.

I saw a similar thread, started 5 years ago and recently updated, and 'mojo' was mentioned - but the prices that came up on a quick Google were eye-watering!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use the Mueller HG80 brace on my left knee (which has lost half the reconstructed ACL and had 2/3rds the cartilage removed). I just use a patellar stabiliser one on my other knee but as the physio suggested a hinged one the mueller meets that requirement.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@t40ora, a very good hinged brace is twice the price of a mojo. Ive got a grand's worth of gubbins strapped round my knees! The one @NickyJ recommends is very affordable
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxxOoosh. A grand? Death by a thousand cuts, eh? If you need the kit to keep you on the piste, you'll pay for the kit. I'll be out there for as long as I can - so I feel you.

@NickyJ, thankfully, your suggestion is more in line with what I was hoping to spend. As I say, at the moment it is only as a precaution, as I know the knee is not a fully healthy joint, but there is nothing specific. If it ever gets to needing to spend four figures on it - then I will!

Thanks guys.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@t40ora, My wife uses this one for exactly the same reason as you, slight instability and "wear and tear" so that unexpected twisting can be painful, but not enough injury to need anything more substantial.

http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Elite_Hinged_Knee_Brace/3106/38718.html

It has been excellent as a precaution and has reduced pain compared to going without. It is probably a bit clunkier than the Mueller one but seems comfortable and solid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Col the Yeti, cheers. I'll check this one out too. Similar price, which is good!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do be careful not to waste money.
You may the best value from a cheaper brace like a simple knee sleeve.
I wrote a blog post on this subject , as it gets asked so often.

Don't forget to ice at end of day and try anti-inflammatories , if you tolerate them.

Jonathan Bell

http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/blog/to-brace-or-not-to-brace-by-jonathan-bell
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonathan Bell, thank you. I'll read the blog when I'm using something more sensible than my phone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get one that over supprots you will never regain enough stregth in your knee muscles. You should get something easy on your knee like

https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/knee-support-brace/

Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 10-02-17 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nosnowballz, that won't be a problem. It will just be for skiing. I'm happy to exercise without it (barbell squats, deadlift and suitcase walk etc) but I want something to give it some rigidity while I'm on the piste.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went for the cheap option and got a Vulkan 3072 from Ebay.
All of 26 quid, including delivery.
Took a couple of Advils most days too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ardbroilach, just ordered one. Plenty of paracetemol and ibruprofen will also be packed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

ibruprofen will also be packed.

Have you read the latest warnings?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. I'm not overly concerned, with the amount that I take.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy