Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-wear for women - some questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

A friend and I are doing some research on potential clothing brand opportunities in the female snow-wear sector. We've put together a quick questionnaire and would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on what you look for when you buy new

It shouldn’t take longer than a few minutes to answer and we would be hugely grateful for your feedback.

If you have time to help us out, here is the survey monkey link:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/53BVDB3

Thank you so much for your help! We really appreciate it Smile

Hannah
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done, but you might like to put this in a ski forum as well if you want skiers to answer it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Question 9 - would prefer I "I don't have a brand preference" option, question 10 frankly price is most important - at my level it's all much of a muchness.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Embarassed half way through and I realise it's fer da better half of slushnuts . . . oh well, may as well finish it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah sorry - yeah I probably wasn't clear enough. It's for the ladies only at this point, but thanks so much for filling it out on her behalf Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much for completing it @Hurtle and @holidayloverxx.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Completed Smile

The biggest thing for me is the lack of choice for larger ladies. I don't consider myself 'that' big (size 18, 5'7" ) but there is little choice in jackets or trousers that are not black and nasty. I currently have a mans ski jacket (might be a boarding one?) which has ridiculously long arms. Its lovely and long but very tight around my hips and HUGE everywhere else!!

If someone could make a range of ladies kit to fit 'real woman' curves and go to proper sizes (or even if the size on the label was actual the size it said, not two sizes smaller) then that would be totally AWESOME!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 Same problem as @chaletgirl, outdoor wear companies seem to think no one over a size 14 does any sports.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mags2009 wrote:
+1 Same problem as @chaletgirl, outdoor wear companies seem to think no one over a size 14 does any sports.

My challenge last summer was to find size 18-20 cycling shorts Shock Ended up going on line to a site called 'Fat Lad at the Back' with a section called 'Fat Lass at the Back'!! I don't consider myself fat (curvy, so doesn't look as bad as the scales may say!!) but the name did make me laugh, and, whilst expensive, the kit was made to fit 'real' sizes. Flipping brilliant Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Done, with lots of comments!
I don't do brands or specified uses, I do what works for me and what I want out of it (if I can get it). Usualy that isn't female-orientated stuff as it doesn't fit (too small, and I'm only about a size 12 +/-; kids' stuff, however, often fits better) and is usually rather lurid in colour or design and not aimed at technical people but more those who want to look good on the slopes than survive the elements.
However, that is not true of every female skier, and there is one big problem in trying to aim at what they think is a specific and separate market (i.e. girls, ladies, women, females...).
Personally, I nearly always wear men's stuff; and I only buy when I need something new (well, usually, unless it's really cheap or good) adn expect stuff to last me 10-20 years. Still in a kid's ski jacket bought in Scotland 15 years ago, a Burton boarding jacket bought a few years ago in a dirt-cheap sale (great for ski-ing in too) and recently decided that the best ever warm and good-looking trousers are from E Bay, China. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizzler wrote:
Done, with lots of comments!
I don't do brands or specified uses, I do what works for me and what I want out of it (if I can get it). Usualy that isn't female-orientated stuff as it doesn't fit (too small, and I'm only about a size 12 +/-; kids' stuff, however, often fits better) and is usually rather lurid in colour or design and not aimed at technical people but more those who want to look good on the slopes than survive the elements.
However, that is not true of every female skier, and there is one big problem in trying to aim at what they think is a specific and separate market (i.e. girls, ladies, women, females...).
Personally, I nearly always wear men's stuff; and I only buy when I need something new (well, usually, unless it's really cheap or good) adn expect stuff to last me 10-20 years. Still in a kid's ski jacket bought in Scotland 15 years ago, a Burton boarding jacket bought a few years ago in a dirt-cheap sale (great for ski-ing in too) and recently decided that the best ever warm and good-looking trousers are from E Bay, China. wink

I've tried the mens stuff for skiing and motorbiking but I'm the wrong shape Sad None of it fits properly Sad So I lose out all ways (as I'm sure many others do too) Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done! Please come back and let us know the results - most people don't for some reason. If people did, I think surveys would get more responses in general.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chaletgirl, You can recognise me in men's stuff: small semi-dumpy mature female with a jacket half way down her knees, sleeves rolled up and trousers sewn up at the bottoms.
Ah, that'd almost be standard snowboarding gear, then Very Happy Still, it hides the large female derriere (albeit still not padded enough for falling off snowboards tho'!)

@chaletgirl makes a valid point. Whatever your sport or activity, eveyone is different shapes and sizes (and my motorbike gear is also huge baggy men's too). There doesn't seem to be a good fit out there to suit everyone (except some military gear, which now comes in a surprisingly-wide range of size combinations these days, especially for boots and trousers. Good on them Smile ) and you then end up buying colours or designs that you really hate or not finding what you wanted, or putting up with a poor fit and overall look (if that matters to you). My personal compromise is baggy for acceptable features and colour; underneath it all is a svelte yet curvy attractive little woman, honest!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find it really difficult to find good quality, technical gear. I was in Snow and Rock a few weeks ago and there wasn't a single item of ski wear that could be described as a "shell", everything was insulated.

There are only a few companies that even produce 3-layer Goretex shells for women – Arcteryx, Norrøna and Peak Performace do, possible TNF but theirs was a really nasty colour – and they are about three times my budget. Many other companies make men's ones, but I'm quite little so that's not something I would even consider.

And then there's the fit. I know these items are designed for layering, but I don't need enough space for two of me around the waist!

And some pockets please. As many as a men's jacket would get.
snow report
Thanks again everyone - all your comments are really insightful and I'm getting quite a good response on the survey in general which is amazing.

More than happy to post on here with updates on the response... I'm planning on giving it a couple of weeks (cause have posted on other forums too) but will come back on here once I have a few more results.

thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it Smile
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Womens goretex/shell – a few other brands to look at: I’ve got a great Sweet Protection I picked up on sale on SportPursuit. I’ve also seen lovely Scott womens jackets, and came very close to buying a great one from North Face – just didn’t need it, so held off.

I agree that it can be hard to find a selection to choose from for women. I probably will replace my sweet protection jacket soon (it’s now done 4 winters, including 2 full seasons, and several festivals! Still going strong, I just fancy a change Smile) and I’ve not seen much yet I’m actually interested in for all the reasons above (good spec, fit, enough pockets).
ski holidays
Done.

@chaletgirl, I find the implication about 'real' curves quite irritating. All body shapes are real surely? Just because someone is a size 10 or whatever doesn't make any "curves" or lack of them any less of a "real" or "womanly" body shape? I'm tall but don't feel the need to try and imply that it makes me more real than those of Pixie height on here (that's a self imposed term by the women in question btw and I wouldn't dream of commenting on their height in any sort of negative way).

More to the point is that the choice of ski/snowboard clothing for women is woeful in this country, as pointed out by several posters, and I hope @snowflake17, is going to use the data to prompt some better ranges to fit all shapes and sizes
ski holidays
_sam_? wrote:
Done.

@chaletgirl, I find the implication about 'real' curves quite irritating. All body shapes are real surely? Just because someone is a size 10 or whatever doesn't make any "curves" or lack of them any less of a "real" or "womanly" body shape? I'm tall but don't feel the need to try and imply that it makes me more real than those of Pixie height on here (that's a self imposed term by the women in question btw and I wouldn't dream of commenting on their height in any sort of negative way).

More to the point is that the choice of ski/snowboard clothing for women is woeful in this country, as pointed out by several posters, and I hope @snowflake17, is going to use the data to prompt some better ranges to fit all shapes and sizes

Fair point Poor choice of phrasing on my part. But I suppose I choose to use that phrase after having a lot of stick for being fat. I'm curvy and not skinny. But don't really think fat is the right description either! But I can see that the 'real curves' comment could be read in a way I didn't mean it
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
@chaletgirl, You can recognise me in men's stuff: small semi-dumpy mature female with a jacket half way down her knees, sleeves rolled up and trousers sewn up at the bottoms.
Ah, that'd almost be standard snowboarding gear, then Very Happy Still, it hides the large female derriere (albeit still not padded enough for falling off snowboards tho'!)

I seem to end up in poorly fitting men's jackets and black trews. I hate wearing black for anything so that grates a bit Sad And I'm not convinced any amount of natural padding is enough for falling off a snowboard - I tried and had to buy padded pants, luckily at the end of my first season, so could find some to fit. Doubt I would now tho

Grizzler wrote:
@chaletgirl makes a valid point. Whatever your sport or activity, eveyone is different shapes and sizes (and my motorbike gear is also huge baggy men's too). There doesn't seem to be a good fit out there to suit everyone (except some military gear, which now comes in a surprisingly-wide range of size combinations these days, especially for boots and trousers. Good on them Smile ) and you then end up buying colours or designs that you really hate or not finding what you wanted, or putting up with a poor fit and overall look (if that matters to you). My personal compromise is baggy for acceptable features and colour; underneath it all is a svelte yet curvy attractive little woman, honest!

My sister has the same issue with scuba diving - she is very slim but busty. TShirts labelled XL don't fit her. Who the hell labels clothing with XL when it is actually a size 12???
snow report
See, now there's another thing, because I rarely wear anything but black (unless wanting to be seen, in which case bright orange).
We is all different.....

And don't get me started re snowboard padded shorts! Why do they always have loads of unpadded bits just where my side to posterior regions always hit the ground Puzzled 2 other cheap EBay China pairs later, and a pair of scissors, a big needle and thread and we're finally getting somewhere near covered....
Yes, my bum does look blinking big in them Laughing
snow report
chaletgirl wrote:

My sister has the same issue with scuba diving - she is very slim but busty. TShirts labelled XL don't fit her. Who the hell labels clothing with XL when it is actually a size 12???

Confused on this, what part of scuba diving is an issue for slim but busty girls? If she needs some help there are quite a lot of recommendations around for kit that fits. Other than wetsuits, which can be a real challenge, but are available made to measure, I can't think of any kit that isn't available to suit even fairly extreme slim/busty combinations, and I think I've fitted kit to almost every body shape in existence.

Off topic a bit I guess, but I've noticed XL t-shirts are a bit of an odd one. In lots of brands XL is far too big for me, in others I end up with them barely covering my belt. Even mens clothes seem to have little standardising, but I could imagine plenty of XL clothing that wouldn't fit size 12s of different shapes.

Do feel free to share a pic of this very slim but busty sister so we can help with the issue Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
chaletgirl wrote:

Confused on this, what part of scuba diving is an issue for slim but busty girls? If she needs some help there are quite a lot of recommendations around for kit that fits. Other than wetsuits, which can be a real challenge, but are available made to measure, I can't think of any kit that isn't available to suit even fairly extreme slim/busty combinations, and I think I've fitted kit to almost every body shape in existence.

Off topic a bit I guess, but I've noticed XL t-shirts are a bit of an odd one. In lots of brands XL is far too big for me, in others I end up with them barely covering my belt. Even mens clothes seem to have little standardising, but I could imagine plenty of XL clothing that wouldn't fit size 12s of different shapes.

Do feel free to share a pic of this very slim but busty sister so we can help with the issue Toofy Grin

I've no idea what particular bit of kit was the issue as she ended up with a made to measure Dry Suit before she came back to the uk Very Happy I know she let rip at a stall selling branded t shirts cos nothing fitted, despite being labelled XL!

And, definitely no pics, she'd kill me!! LOL
snow report
+1 Chaletgirl. I'm curvy rather than fat too but end up buying men's jackets and salopettes which render me shapeless. I also hate the pastel and girly colours offered in the women's ranges. I hate girly colours and patterns. It's not like there's a huge range to choose from to start with.
latest report
MayaL wrote:
+1 Chaletgirl. I'm curvy rather than fat too but end up buying men's jackets and salopettes which render me shapeless. I also hate the pastel and girly colours offered in the women's ranges. I hate girly colours and patterns. It's not like there's a huge range to choose from to start with.

I find that buying a jacket to fit curves tends to mean that the bottom of the jacket is really baggy. So even with the 'snow apron' done up, you can end up with a load of snow being caught under your coat if you fall. Clearly the best thing is to do is not fall in the first place, but a jacket that fits would be nice too.
snow report
Hi everyone
I just wanted to say thanks so much for your continued support! We really appreciate it, it's so helpful.
Lots of themes are coming out - sizing is definitely an issue, and I think it's safe to say many people feel that they are not catered for with the current offering. This is all very much proving our hypothesis so we're pleased!
Thanks again
snow conditions
@snowflake17, Shocked I've no better'alf, you'll not find a maiden to put up wit' moi. My replies are just an old boarder's thoughts.

'tis interesting to see the differing ways individuals see themselves and balance style, fit and freedom of movement to that vision . . .

. . . btw, blokes are just as bad . . . though you'd have to submit their plums to 'threading' to get them to admit that Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Done!

I dread to think how @Masque, may have skewed your results Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Done, with comments. I refuse to wear gear designed for men. Too big in shoulder and waist, too small at bust and hips. I am size 12 but with a large chest and getting jackets to fit is tough, if the bust fits the rest of the jacket is too big or if it fits in the other places the boobs are squeezed and squashed flat...lovely. For the last 6-8 years I have got all my ski gear at TK Maxx. Salomon jackets, Peak Performance, Hyronic, loads of stuff and in nice colours as well. I have purple jackets and lime green trousers, bright blue trousers, bright yellow jacket and black trousers. I still drag out my red Degere jacket if the weather is really cold / wet, mind you feel dreadful in it though. Got a lovely Spyder jacket I bought in resort pre-children...who has that kind of money now? As for the kids, am a huge Boden fan as the colours and patterns are good. Had them out in -15 degrees in that stuff with the right base layers. I loathe the pale, pastel single colour stuff for them and me as you tend to just merge into a sea of pink, pale blue, navy or grey. Good luck with the project. Please report back.
snow report
chaletgirl wrote:

If someone could make a range of ladies kit to fit 'real woman' curves and go to proper sizes (or even if the size on the label was actual the size it said, not two sizes smaller) then that would be totally AWESOME!!!

Amen. Is there an update on this project??

I need new ski/boarding pants and can't find anything to fit. I came to this forum searching for any recommendations. All the women's pants seem to be going slim fit where the thighs are the same size as the waist... so if you have an back bottom and strong quads you can't get your legs in them, when you find a size to fit your legs the waist is too big rolling eyes As for real sizes who are the twig pixies TNF has been modelling their gear on lately??

More and more I feel the emphasis on women's gear is about look and not function, I want 5 minutes in a boardroom with designers to given them a few choice tips.

I'm a size 10/12, but I have curves (shocking I know), if anyone has any tips on anything that's out there that might fit please let me know... I leave for Meribel in 2 weeks, I'm starting to get desperate Laughing
ski holidays
Maybe they should look at a few of the ladies competing in various Olympic (and World Cup) events. Twigs they ain't wink
Mind you, what's under the snowboarders' kits is anyone's guess...
ski holidays
Agree twigs they are not... Still, elite athlete bodies aren't exactly average are they? I'm thinking I could start filming myself trying to get into these teeny tiny trousers that are labelled Large. I'm prepared to forego my dignity for progress on this front! Laughing
latest report
I wonder if this was the project?

https://www.snookswear.co.uk/
latest report
Well spotted @under a new name - if it is them, I wish them luck but hope that they go for colours that 'pop' a bit more. @Skiswithass you did make me LOL. I have wasted many an hour changing rooms 'shaking my back bottom' trying to get into trousers. My sister picked up a pair of b+w Escada ski trousers in TKMaxx in early Jan. They were a thing of beauty. Seems to me that trouser designers struggle to realise that women over 30 might still ski, hence the tiny sizes and odd designs. I have also noticed a move towards the old style race trouser again. They look gorgeous and I can see it on a size 8/10 but not sure if they'll look as good in bigger sizes.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I wonder if this was the project?

https://www.snookswear.co.uk/

Ooooh thanks for sharing! I like what they have there so far, although I'm not sure I'm 'down with the kids' enough to pull it off haha! Let's hope this expands because it sounds really promising!

In the meantime I await the delivery of a pair of Protest snow pants, finger's crossed they'll fit and look good!!
snow conditions
@Skiswithsass, I've got a pair of Sweet Protection Salvation pants. They are a little big on the waist even when pulled tight with the velcro, but are quite baggy on the legs so no issues there. I just have to channel my inner teenage snowboarder Laughing
snow conditions
Success shopping for pants today!! I found a pair of Recco pants in Mountain Warehouse in a great colour, the size 12 fits nicely in the leg and the waist! But also has an adjustable waist! And they were on sale!!

Took pics of my struggles with other brands I tried on today, I'm going to post them to my Instagram account (no vids I'm afraid; was too hard to hold the camera Laughing ). In other news, I noticed that Salomon men's pants have more pockets than the women's and an adjustable waist, while also being £40 cheaper Mad
ski holidays
@Skiswithsass, welcome to the world of women’s skiwear retail. Where everything* is pink, poorly fitting, overly insulated, less technical, expensive and doesn’t have enough pockets rolling eyes

*well not quite, but there’s considerably less choice than in menswear, especially within th UK market.
snow report
For what it's worth, my wife is a snowboarder, she's 5 ft 2 in and she wears:

- sweet protection voodoo pants in black and in green

https://sweetprotection.com/sp_no/snow/technical-clothing/voodoo-r-pant-wmns

(£200 in the sales)

- sweet protection salvation jacket (reddy pink)

- arcteryx zeta AR jacket (black)

- 3/4 thermal Merino bottoms and merino top.

-Patagonia Nano vest puffer

- smart wool socks.

- dakine mittens

And a rab fleece

All women's versions all bought in the sales and all fit nicely.
latest report
@Skiswithsass, your implication that wimmin over 30 will have bigger backsides is a bit odd. In the exercise classes I go to I'd say there was no correlation between age and bumsize.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy