Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble city to Val Thorens for one day - HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing a year abroad and I'm currently doing an internship in Grenoble.

My family are going on a skiing holiday to Val Thorens on 1st-8th April. They'll be travelling on the Saturday so on Sunday 2nd I would like to go to the resort to spend the day skiing with them, travelling from Grenoble city.
I want to make the day of it so early morning and evening travel times but I can't seem to find any busses at all or any trains that are early enough for me to get a full day skiing.
I'd appreciate it if anyone has any advice on what to do.

I've considered hiring a car but I'm 21 and the charge for being under age is a lot, I've considered staying in a hotel/hostel on Sat night but they don't allow people to stay for only one night, I've considered a train to Munieres but it doesn't get there till 11am and then an hour bus is wasting the morning.

Does anyone know what to do? Confused

Thanks!! Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you checked https://www.blablacar.fr/ ?

On a weekend I can imagine there would be others looking to ski for a day who can give you a lift.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Yeah I forgot to mention I've checked bla bla car, there's only one on the day but it doesn't leave Grenoble till midday, maybe if I check later there will be more popping up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.grenoble-airport.com/en/access/shuttle

And try calling or emailing the Val Thorens tourist office: http://www.valthorens.com/en/contact.78.html (there's a 'Need advice?' phone number if you scroll down)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleep on a sofa or the floor where your family are staying? If it is a TO chalet it'd be a hard hearted chalet girl who didn't turn a blind eye in exchange for a suitable "tip" and you can bribe the other guests for having a vagrant crash there with a nice box or choccies or bottle of spirits.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@altil, Can you not get your family to rent a car for the weekend and then come and pick you up in Grenoble or Moutiers on Saturday then drop you off on Sunday evening? you can catch the train to and from Moutiers if they don't want to pick you up in Grenoble.
As @Dave of the Marmottes, mentions you should be able to find somewhere to stop in resort on the Saturday night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hiya,

As you've discovered, getting from Grenoble to Moutiers is impractical due to them being on different branches of the trainlines (they separate at Chambery, which means you have to go back there to get from one to the other, and as such the earliest you could arrive in VT itself is 12 or so).

Looking at Blablacar there are plenty of offers from Grenoble to Moutiers in the coming days, though nothing for the 2nd. It's very possible that offers will appear in the next few days though, so worth keeping an eye on. There are buses from Moutiers to VT (altibus) and I'm guessing some are early enough that you could get a full day's skiing in. So that might be your best bet. As Dave says, otherwise crashing on the floor/sofa of wherever your family is staying.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mad for chelsea wrote:

As you've discovered, getting from Grenoble to Moutiers is impractical due to them being on different branches of the trainlines (they separate at Chambery, which means you have to go back there to get from one to the other, and as such the earliest you could arrive in VT itself is 12 or so)..

They actually separate at Montmelian.

The problem is, it is Sunday and SNCF only run a skeleton service on Sundays these days. During the week he could get to Moûtiers for 7h45 leaving Grenoble at 5h07 just in time to catch the 8am bus for Val Thorens which would get him into Val Tho (totally knackered) for 9h15.

So what he should do is go on another day if he wants to use public transport.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't know if any better an option. Travel down Maurienne valley to Orelle. Then a gondola and chairlift ride to higher point of Val Thorens. Depends on rail or coach service down that valley on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
intermediate wrote:
Don't know if any better an option. Travel down Maurienne valley to Orelle. Then a gondola and chairlift ride to higher point of Val Thorens. Depends on rail or coach service down that valley on Sunday.

Orelle would be the ideal spot for a train station - but there isn't one for some bizarre reason. it just needs a platform that is used in season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy