Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis and boots for L3?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - simple question.

What skis (and boots) would you recommend for L3?

I did L2 on Head Titans and Lange RX120, and that worked ok, but I think doesn't quite cut it for 3.

TIA.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
whats your height and weight? which strands are your strongest and what is your weakest? Titans are too soft in my opinion
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @skimottaret, was hoping you'd be along.

175cm, 83kg. Longs are weakest, others about the same, although all need work.

I'm also finding the titans too soft - difficult (for me at least) to get the performance needed on longs and shorts, particularly on harder snow. I tried another trainee's FIS slalom skis on my L2, and was instantly better.

I'm thinking either a slalom ski, or a cheater GS? But if so, which?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-03-17 10:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmmm SL vs cheater GS... Lots of people seem to be passing on SL skis but if longs need work then perhaps something less turny..Not sure full FIS Sl skis are right at L3, certainly some at L4 have used them but tough in the bumps..

for all round tech skis I would suggest Dynastar Speed Zone 14 they are great ski and will handle L3/4 tech duties and are not as stiff as FIS skis but have plenty of edge grip.. medium turn radius and enough underfoot for variables without sacrificing edge to edge speed. I have done exams on these and they were great.. (we are supported by Dynastar..)

also worth considering Kastel RX12, REDSTER DOUBLEDECK GS, Stockli Laser SX, Volkl CODE SPEEDWALL S UVO, Head ispeed pro or the Rossi LT series
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am also working towards my L3 and took skimottaret's advice got a pair of the Dynastar Speed Zone 14. Like you I did my L2 on Head Titans. I have not regretted it. I'm a bit lighter than you, but can still feel and benefit from the extra support from the Dynastars. I think the best way I can summarise them is that I think they will really help me develop my skiing, or put another way they expose some of my technique weaknesses and then respond well when I get it right. I was worried they would not be so good in the bumps as the Titans as I went for a longer ski and they have a significantly longer turn radius, but the Speed Zone's are still plenty nimble enough when I need them to be.

Your Lange boots sound like the right ball park already. I upgraded this year from my soft-and-roomy Head 100-flex boots to Lange RX 130. If you are finding the 120 flex too soft, or they are worn out for other reasons, then go see a good boot fitter and take their advice, but if they've got life left in them I reckon they will likely be OK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @kieranm, very helpful. A trainer I skied with last week recommended the Rossi Hero M18 (which he was on, and I guess is similar to the Dynastars) and stiffer boots.
I joined an L3 group for a session last week, and literally everyone else was on FIS slalom skis, including the (different) trainer. I got on really well with the pair I tried - night and day compared to the Titans for shorts on hard snow. I didn't get to try them in bumps though, and the Dynastars look more versatile. Where did you get yours? I can't find any good prices on either the dynastars (except the 166) or rossis...

My Langes are from CEM and fit really well, but are probably 6 years old or so.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got my Dynastars via @spyderjon (The Piste Office) on the @skimottaret (Inside Out) deal. I believe the Speed Zone 14 might be sold out for the season, but they will I'm sure be back next year, or you could go for the Speed Zone 12 which is the same ski, but with a different binding (the 14 has a race plate). There is also a Dynastar BASI deal that I think @spyderjon can access for you.

If your boots are 6 years old I'd pay another visit to CEM and see what he recommends.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@turbosmurf, doesn't matter how old your boots are, what matters is how much you've skied them...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@turbosmurf, doesn't matter how old your boots are, what matters is how much you've skied them...

And even then - it's really a question of whether the liners have packed out too much.
I've got a pair of boots that are 12 years old with I guess 200 days use and because they originally had a 10mm fit they are still fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a vote for the volkl racetiger GS: https://www.instructorcourses.skinewgen.com/has-dan-wilson-found-the-perfect-isiaistd-ski/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seem to remember BASI introducing, a few years ago, a strong recommendation for candidates on L3/4 courses to be using skis with 16-18m radius, which I thought was still valid (maybe not if many are now back on SLs, as stated above) . At the time a lot of candidates were using SL skis with 12-13m radius and I think BASI made this recommendation as on SLs there were issues with it being difficult in longs to demonstrate control of edge angle through the turn, and in shorts with it being difficult to blend in rotation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spiceman wrote:
I seem to remember BASI introducing, a few years ago, a strong recommendation for candidates on L3/4 courses to be using skis with 16-18m radius, which I thought was still valid
It was never introduced as a rule, and as a guideline seemed to quietly disappear ( I think with the exception of Coach 2 course). Last BASI course I did both Trainers were on slalom skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, my boots are on liner 2 and season 6 = ~360 days ...

Don't owe me much Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, @jedster, yes, i have zipfits in the boots now - the original liners did pack down, so life in them, despite them being a bit battered. A stiffer shell probably wouldn't hurt, but I guess not essential.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spiceman wrote:
I seem to remember BASI introducing, a few years ago, a strong recommendation for candidates on L3/4 courses to be using skis with 16-18m radius, which I thought was still valid (maybe not if many are now back on SLs, as stated above)

On my L2 there were 3 ex team GB guys who were all on FIS spec slalom skis. Most other people were on consumer slalom skis. The level 3 group last week had a couple of level 4 trainees and a few others about to do L3 tech Shocked and all were on FIS slalom skis - as was the trainer. Not sure if either are typical, of course.
snow conditions
@turbosmurf, very interesting, its been a few years since my last BASI course, when GS /cheater GS were most popular.
But I still would question, are SL skis the best choice to demonstrate long turns with a skilfully controlled degree of edge angle/turn shape - basically as the turn is over so quickly on SLs? And on shorts, its not easy to make the blended mix of rotation/edging instead of a high speed carved turn, as the radii will be so close.
latest report
spiceman wrote:
@turbosmurfare SL skis the best choice to demonstrate long turns with a skilfully controlled degree of edge angle/turn shape - basically as the turn is over so quickly on SLs? And on shorts, its not easy to make the blended mix of rotation/edging instead of a high speed carved turn, as the radii will be so close.

I don't know. My only experience on race slalom skis was when I swapped my Head Titans with one of the racer's Head FIS SL skis for a few runs, and I loved them. True there is *less* skidding/rotation, but I think you would just get a high five from the trainer if you could ski the corridor they want completely cleanly!

I didn't get to try them for observed longs, but the other guys had no problem demonstrating control of radius. I imagine bumps and variables would be where they might be more of a handful - although I can still see one of the GB guys take off from a 6 foot mountainbike platform, land in soft bumps between trees, and carry on as if he was on piste Shocked (He passed, in case you were wondering Very Happy )
latest report
Same question for skis only - but any recommendations from the Fischer range?

https://www.fischersports.com/en_en/

I've got access to a good deal on them for this season's skis. Was thinking about the RC4 Speed?

Cheers!
snow conditions
what about these for level 2 and 3?

https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/redster-xti-xt-12-aa1831.html

or

https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/redster-marcel-x-12-tl-aa1945.html

should be a bit softer / lighter than the x-race with race plate i have...... which i was told are about the complete opposite of what i need in bumps lol
snow conditions
I have a question, knowing nothing about BASI courses - do people not use different skis as per the day's activities? From what I've seen on multiple threads here that would no be the case?
snow report
moseyp wrote:
I have a question, knowing nothing about BASI courses - do people not use different skis as per the day's activities? From what I've seen on multiple threads here that would no be the case?

I've always thought that too - but there seems to be some perception/reality that changing skis gets you marked down. I think the practical reality is that no one has time to tune and be instantly comfortable etc on multiple pairs of skis & you don't always know what you'll be doing on any given day.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... & you don't always know what you'll be doing on any given day.
This, and on a typical day you'll be skiing different things from across the performance strands so choosing a ski which is particularly well suited for one strand is likely to compromise your skiing in the other strands. Go for a general purpose piste performance ski, perhaps with a bit more width than a classic race department ski, and get something stiff enough to cope with the performance levels you'll have to ski to. Ditto boots, nothing too soft, but maybe not a full on race boot that you have to unclip every time you get on a lift.
latest report
Then why is everyone on FIS SL skis?!
snow conditions
Because the bar is highest on tech turns and lowest on pow pow?
latest report
I mean why are people using a FIS reg ski instead of a shop race ski or a masters GS type ski with a radius closer to a SL ski?

Like, surely if you're using a full on race ski, you'd be better having two pairs with you or else getting some middle ground ski that does everything?
latest report
If you're ex GB team you've probably spent most of your skiing life on FIS SLs and you could probably cope on random skip specials.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, turbosmurf said everyone on his L3 was on FIS SLs, I know he also said three of them were ex team but that's fairly unusual, most go down UKCP route instead of teaching
snow conditions
I think I'd prefer to have two skis or else get an allrounder if it was in that position (haven't done BASI though so haven't a clue)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp wrote:
turbosmurf said everyone on his L3 was on FIS SLs,
I think that would be unusual. On the L3 courses I've done typically there's one or two people on a slalom ski, but the majority seem to be on something around a 16m to 18m turn radius, 65mm to 75mm width underfoot and fairly stiff.
latest report
Right, that makes sense
snow report
i have trained with L3 level guys and it would seem that most favour the skinnier ski as they can cope better with the variables say more than short and long turns so the have a ski which helps in those depts rather than variables, for me i need something lighter, shorter & softer to help in bumps rather than the x-race skis that i currently have..... i have also noticed that in level 2 students they are going to for a more general ski but the radius now seem to be about 13m rather than the 17m - 18m when i did the some of the course.....
snow conditions
on the L4 techs I have done most of the passes are on FIS SL skis and the girls/lighter guys on regular SL.. a few passed on shorter Rossi / Dynastar Master GS and iSpeeds. One very light guy passed on Magnums but his longs were very borderline. Turnier skis seem to be more prevalent than a few years ago when it was more 16-18 radius..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy