Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Sweden - any and all advice appreciated.

Poster: A snowHead
May find my way near Are in Sweden in late March, and looking for any advice on terrain, lodging, food, apres, etc. if there is an existing thread, my apologies, I did not find it via search function.

I'm a decent skier on and off piste, wondering if I should hire a guide for back country or side country tour, and then do I bring AT gear? There are 2 of us travelling, my mate is not a great skier, but he may be happy lodging and drinking all day. I know nothing about are, is it worth even making a trip out there? Lodging suggestions?, etc. a bit broad based questions, but anything is appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Redwine, will reply later today....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece

He knows Åre well - but you say "near Åre"?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Redwine. My TR is - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2869147&highlight=#2869147

My family loved it, but we didn't do any off piste.

There are three main areas - Are By (main skiing area), Bjornen (area for beginners/kids) and Duved (few km down the road). My TR gives a brief review of each area.

Lodging is easy using Skistar website.

You mentioned your mate is not a great skier - how good is he? Bjornen area is good for beginners, but there aren't many cruisy blues in Are. If he can handle reds, he'll be alright.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Redwine

On the backside of Åreskuten there is a bit of offpist, otherwise you have to be liftet up to a other mountain. http://www.exploreare.se/heliskiing/ (not for your mate!)

Skistar is the way to go for lodging. If your mate likes drinking he will get poor - or has to go to "Systembolaget", and you have to stay in Åre By for afterski or nightlife.

Bjørnen (family-area), Duved and Tegefjället are a bit out of the way if you stay in a appartment/hut, and have to go shopping.

http://copperhill.se/en/?gclid=CLnKk_2AutACFasNcwoddroJHQ is in Bjørnen area but you are pritty isolated there (in the middle of nowhere).

For your one night nice eating out I could recomend http://villatottebo.se/index.php/en/home/ but look closely at price (for wine as well). Have to reserve at least day before.

Cheap breakfast hotel is "Renen" in Duved, but cut off from nightlife and you have to go by bus to Åre By, but good for 2 persons. Sauna is avalible many places.

For lunch we often went back to http://www.ulladalsstugan.se/ there you feel you are on the edge of the outback.

Tegefjäll has a bit of offpiste (not much) but you have to use skins.

It is worth making the trip - the largest place in Scandinavia, and it is the right timing you go - light is back and not to cold - but anything can happen.

If you have wheels there are outher options. snowHead

Check the price of redwine before you order! Laughing

A bit of infomatione here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2883528&highlight=%C5re#2883528
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dobby, @Hyst, thank you much for all the information. Looks like I will be able to notch another country that my ski's will touch.

On the off piste, is it true off piste A(ie, one should take a guided group or else get lost in the wilderness, I am also not comfortable in reading avalanche conditions), or more like "through the gates" in the US, or what I have learned is called itineraries in Europe (or at least switzerland), ie avi controlled, but not patrolled that may require hiking or cat walks, etc. essentially, should i line up a guide, or is it easy to just join an off-piste group when I arrive.

Is it possible to see the northern lights from someplace close by?

Thank you for all the help. We had the first flakes here in Boston, so my anticipation grows.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hyst, you are not wrong on checking the price of wine before ordering!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Redwine, I am not qualified to give you more advice on offpist as I already have done. Sorry. (I am realy only a old piste skier! 60+)

If you go away form the resort it is much more empty than in the Alps! There will be no "Avi - controlled" area there - you will be in the middle of nowhere. - if you go there find a group.

For the northern light go furhter north or come 2 months earlier, when it is dark. Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-11-16 16:08; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dobby, Madeye-Smiley

In this case particular the "Redwine" Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hyst, Cool Cool . @Redwine, I think Hyst is right. It's not "through the gate" or itinerary off piste. Also, conditions can get a little blowy, especially up top, so I wouldn't bet against some accumulations which could be unstable (I could be blowing out of my backside on this one). Very Happy Very Happy . Have a great time when you are there and please do a trip report - always good to get people's opinions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are heading back to Åre this winter for the 3rd time. Its a good resort, different to the alps. Åre is the busiest centre of the area, but the cheapest to stay at is probably Duved, about 10km west of Åre. Bring your own booze as it can be a little expensive. though the food is very nice. If getting to the area from Trondheim remember to stock up with duty free when you land.

There is some good skiing to be had coming off Åreskutan (the main hill above Åre). If skiing off to the east of it then you will certainly need some skins. The summit is a walk from the top station and from memory you can ski off all sides of it. There was some nice skiing out to the west where you could join back up into the ski centre. There is a great long unmarked run back into the ski centre from the top. Needs a little bit of care, and some polling at the bottom. If you have not skied the area, i would probably go into that area with guides, or one of the organised ski star trips.

There is also some nice touring around Duved and Tegefjallet. We had a nice tour of Mullfjallet hill which is located above these resorts.

As someone mentioned above, it does get windy here, and certainly early in the season the top station gets closed a lot due to the weather.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good advice above on where to stay, buy food and alcohol etc. Note, Sunday is typical change over day. Åre By (village) is the best place to stay for bars and resturants, or Åre Fjallby by the race arena and VM8 lift (A22). But it is most reds and blacks in that area.
For your friend, Björnen and Sadlexpressen (lift B37) are good areas to ski. If there are the right group lessons, they only £50 for 3 hours each day. Pay attention to where they meet. They often start at Björnen (lift B41) or Rödkullen (lift A17), so it would be a trek if you are staying in Duved or Tegelfjall, or even a journey from Åre By could be tricky.

For you, go to the Skistar Åre website and click on skischool and other products, and it will take you to guided tours e.g., Huså tour, the back side (Baksidan), the ravines (couloirs). I did the avalanche intro, which was great value and good fun. Åre Lavincenter does more serious courses www.arelavincenter.se.

Åre area: Lots of offpiste. Whenever the Kabinbanan (A29) or Gondolen (H23) are running, drop everything and ski the top area. Those lifts are vulnerable to wind and icing, so take advantage when open. The whole top area is an offpiste playround. Easy (blue) offpiste heading down to Stendalsliften (H24, and H25, H27). My son in this area:

Short hike up to the top where you can ski the back side (Baksidan). Or if you go with a skistar group they pull you up on a rope behind a piste machine. Nice video from someone on Backsidan https://www.freeride.se/video/56968/. On the back side you can take routes down round Lillskutan to Sadeln, or down into the east ravine.

Also from the top and back side there is an easy (blue) offpiste run all the way north to Huså. Not done it myself, but aiming to after Christmas. Obviously if booked through Skistar they will get you back, or you can get snow scooter transport back to Stendalen (lift H24) for 170 kr http://www.gruvbacken.se/. I’d call them through before setting out.

Offpiste either side of Tusenmeter lift (H28) is good. Another video from this area https://www.freeride.se/video/57060/. From there you can continue down into the west ravine (Västra Ravin), or from the top of the lift traverse across to the east ravine (Östra Ravin). Both come together and out at FjallgårdsXpressen (A34).

This article marks some offpiste areas in Åre https://www.freeride.se/spotguiden-are-del-1/. Use Google translate. Great book is “Åre Offpiste” by Kristoffer Frenkel. Probably hard to get it outside of Sweden, and it’s in Swedish… But it gives lift names and marked diagrams, so is easy to figure out.

In the areas above there will be lots of people skiing offpiste. Of course there is risk of avalanche like any offpiste. The piste map marks some areas, including the ravines (which are also obvious terrain traps). Avalanche prognosis can be found here http://lavinprognoser.se/ and this map shows different areas of avalanche risk in Åre http://www.fjallsakerhetsradet.se/ImageVault/Images/id_594/scope_0/ImageVaultHandler.aspx.

Tegefjäll: If you look at the piste map, there are areas with trees cleared to allow some tree skiing https://www.freeride.se/video/56850/.

Duved: offpiste (side of piste) https://www.freeride.se/video/56832/

Some offpiste areas in Duved and Tegefjäll are noted in this article https://www.freeride.se/spotguiden-are-del-2/.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
See, @Redwine, we told you @Themasterpiece would be along to sort us all out....snow base is building up nicely.... less than three months and I'll be there....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yuppie, and @Themasterpiece, Hei, hei, can you tell me if there is a place to test/rent the Extrem skis that are made in Are??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would contact them directly, I'm sure they would arrange a test for you.

Communicating in English should not be a problem at all.

http://www.extremskis.com/contact-us/

I think i will do the same. I'm up there just after Christmas, so this might be a fun afternoon activity Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece,
Keping a watchful eye on this thread as I'll be visiting Are for the first time in December.
I'll be there from Dec 26th to Jan 1st and would love to meet up with others for some local knowledge on the hidden powder stashes?
I'll be staying in the Brunkulla apartments. Give us a shout if you fancy meeting up
snow report
@dvb, Use the snowheads calender "where are we going" Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98245

So far only Themasterpiiece is listed in Sweden.
latest report
@Hyst, thanks, done
ski holidays
@dbeatski,

Got this reply from Extrem regarding demo skis:

"We will have a demo center next to the lift VM6. Starting in January and we are open mainly in the weekends."

Sadly a little to late for when i am there.
snow conditions
@yuppie, cheers for that, I was thinking of going in March or April, but a pity for you.
ski holidays
@Redwine, I have been reticent of posting because I'm not sure our requirements of Åre are the same as yours, but I figure if you are coming from so far, it's better to have too much information than too little, and I guess you are bright enough to filter out what you don't need.

All above is good info, we would add that if you are coming so far, stay two weeks, and hire a car. Several smaller ski centres within 300km, Norway just down the road, the frozen waterfalls at Tannennfossen and much more. Having the car would enable you both to share a trip.

For your friend, I am sure beginner and intermediate group lessons are also held in Åre By and Duved as well as Bjornen

Even visiting Norwegians get pi55ed before they go out, so use system bologet and stick to beer when you are out.

Skistar has loads of very reasonable priced accommodation, I think they maybe lose customers because people think that the price is pp when it is the price of the accommodation, for the week, whether full or not.

Last season mrsthcramps and I had a very high quality apartment to our selves, 40m from ski in/ski out, with our own sauna, boot warmers, ski clothing dryers, wifi, good kitchen, etc, in march for £460 (in total, not each). we were 10 mins max from the town walking.
snow report
Thank you all. I am always amazed by the knowledge snowheads have in their heads. So air is booked, will arrive are march 26, and get to ski 27/28/29 and part of the 30th. Then off to a crazy dinner, which is the reason my mate is going, he is a chef and lusts over the cooking being done at faiveken.

Looking for lodging now, and if anyone finds themselves there at the same time and fancies a meet, give me a shout.

Thanks again. Such good info and impossible to find anywhere else.
snow report
Enjoy Smile Remember, in resort you cn save a lot at lunchtime by using one of the warming picnic huts where they even have microwaves so that you can heat your own food.

When we went we all took a 5lt box of wine in our main cases, helped out a lot with the drinks bill, although the gov booze shop wasn't as pricey as we expected.
snow conditions
use skistar, best website ever
ski holidays
Quit skiing for the day here in Åre, wet day .... where's the best bar?
snow report
If you are young: http://www.verandan-are.se/
snow conditions
Not young and got 2 kids in tow, a decent boozer would be nice Very Happy
ski holidays
forget about afterski! Laughing Max will be it! snowHead (but have to consider if there is a wife allong)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 29-12-16 15:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, my kids always join apres ski in Switzerland ... and before you say it ... yes, this isn't Switzerland. Anywhere a bit family friendly aka tolerant?
ski holidays
There used to be a beer bar a little up from Villa tottebo into a yard. Sell local beer very quiet.
edit: But can not find it on the net anymore!

http://www.are360.com/en/Dine/Bars--Nightlife/

I can not do better sorry - did stayed in Duved.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-12-16 14:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Parkvillan, opens at 17.00 Very Happy
ski holidays
Whoo getting cold up there in a weeks time - remember to dress up. Around minus 20 in daytime sounds cold.

@Themasterpiece, good you know the area. snowHead
snow conditions
The hotel at the top of the Bergbanan lift seems to be a place of heavy metal mayhem from about 4pm onwards, if you like that sort of thing
snow conditions
Very wet here at the mo but must soldier on. Kids in pool today so just me doing a bit of water skiing .... the higher the better of course. Tried http://www.parkvillan.se last night, small bar with great beer, small restaurant at the back (very burger based) with beers to match the food .. 12 draught beers, yummy. Going to eat there later. Getting cold in the days to come and as per the rest of Europe, needs more snow
ski holidays
@dvb, thanks for the tip re Park Villan - will visit in Feb. Seems to be unseasonably warm ATM in Are.
ski holidays
@dobby, it is what it is, gotta get out. Met a couple of groups today ski touring and had a chat, might be the best option tomorrow as the ski pass price is not worth it in these conditions, still great to be off work and in the mountains Very Happy
snow report
I saw it had been raining. That sucks. But as you say @dvb it is what it is. You could look at the skistar experiences under the ski school section of the website - you may be the only one signed up. Avalanche intro is interesting. There was a small avalanche a few days ago, seems naturally triggered https://www.freeride.se/mindre-lavin-i-are/
snow conditions
Some snow forecast early in the week, but its going to get a bit chilly Shocked

ski holidays
@dvb, I quite agree. I'm very much of the opinion that it's a ski holiday so you go skiing. Seems like it's going to get a little colder.....min. temp when we were there last year was only -16C - not too bad, but a bit charpy on the lifts.
snow conditions
This (and the other thread) have inspired us to book a trip of our own, so we're off to Are in March...however we will be with our 2.75 year old, so any suggestions on toddler friendly activities?

We're staying at the Copperhill Lodge for 5 nights, then switching to somewhere in Bjornen (tbd) for the last 2 nights, so I think (hope) we're in the right sort of area for little ones.

I checked with Skistar and we can get her a private lesson for 30 mins/1 hour (if only so I can get some Go-pro footage to show her when she's older wink

Interestingly they also said its fine to take little ones on the travelator yourself (i.e. without an instructor)...not sure if that's a good or a bad thing Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy