Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My ski boots really stink...

Poster: A snowHead
So yes I realise this means I have minging sweaty feet, but given that I won't be using them again for a while (sniff!) is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell that doesn't involve taking the linings out?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fabreze and leave them somewhere dry but cool?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why dont you want to take the linings out?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queen bodecia, and buy yourself a pair of boot dryers to use every day after skiing for next season. Hubby's have been stinky this week too, but once he started to dry them out properly every night the smell's gone. He doesn't usually have minging feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Electric fan boot dryers are the way forward. Most have a timer so you can leave them to dry themselves.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I should have mentioned, I already sprayed them liberally with Febreze last week when I got back from Austria. But the sweaty foot smell remains.

@marcellus, because I can't get the linings back in.

@Hells Bells, they seemed to dry pretty well this year, Flangesax's place has a 'hot room' and Kooky's place has heated flooring. They're certainly bone dry now, but still very stinky.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a couple of socks (clean, obviously) that I've filled with bicarb that I leave in them over the summer. Does quite a good job of helping to neutralise the smell.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodlesMcFlude, thanks, I'll try that.

And maybe I do need to invest in some dryers for next season. Thanks all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queen bodecia, If it's any consolation I didn't notice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geepee, Laughing

I kid you not, when descending the steps from the plane at EMA last week I could smell something really bad. I put it down to the stench of Britain's litter welcoming me back. But they may just have been unloading my boots at that precise moment...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@queen bodecia, I know you don't know Grandma Sunshine but he put his boots in the loft when he had some mice up there. He described them as 'Weapons of Mouse destruction'. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you tried washing your feet Toofy Grin wink

Merino wool socks might help.
Second the boot dryer option.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queen bodecia, how old are the boots?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, I have wool socks and clean feet!!

@Hells Bells, 5 years now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I spray in them a little antibacterial Lemon & Teatree Oil Shoe Spray from Superdrug, it leaves a pleasant scent, works a treat. Smile
latest report
I spray in them a little antibacterial Lemon & Teatree Oil Shoe Spray from Superdrug, it leaves a pleasant scent, works a treat. Smile
snow report
I use Boot Bananas and they are excellent.
snow report
Are you saying that can take the liners out, but that if you do you can't get them back in again?
latest report
Sadly, my liners honk after not too many wears. I do wash my feet and use athlete's foot preparations but to no avail.

I remove my liners and put them through the washing machine as I have nothing to lose - if they disintegrate then it's time to get new liners. If they survive then the boots are good for another week!
snow report
Boots do a foot & shoe deodorant.
ski holidays
Tea bags is the trick I was taught.

Yorkshire seems to work the best, but that's the same as what makes a good cuppa.

Can't provide much evidence as my feet will knock out a small village.
ski holidays
use Colloidal silver spray then an anti fungal spray in the boots.
snow report
My boots used to smell.
They don't now.
1. Wash socks at the end of every day's skiing.
2. Take liner out and let the outside dry . Only really necessary if water gets into your boots: mine do, wife's dont, so she don't bother with this.
3. Apply dryer to boots for couple of hours. We also turn the same in the morning, and then we have lovely warm boots to put on snowHead

The smell is largely from bacteria partying it up in the damp warmish environment after you've taken your feet out.
latest report
Trouble with not taking the liners out is that there may be moisture in the shell that never quite dries out.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
@DB,
@Hells Bells, 5 years now.

Time for new liners then. Seriously, the bacterial load will build over the years and once they start to pong you're only ever going to mask it. How long it takes to get to this stage depends on care tips already mentioned and usage.
So not a bad thing but a good excuse to improve/replace your boots.
snow conditions
They probably have been repeatedly wet and I have struggled to dry them overnight in the past. I have even resorted to blasting them with hotel room hairdryers, so it's probably a build up of this which has caused the stinkiness. I'll try some of the deodorant ideas but I'm reluctant to take the linings out knowing that I'll struggle to get them back in again.

I'm not buying new boots after five years, I need them to last a fair bit longer than that!
ski holidays
Take the liners out and put them in the freezer. I've never had a boot where you can't put the liners back in again - what do bootfitters do?
snow conditions
Quote:

what do bootfitters do?

They are big burly Scotsmen, not dainty little girls wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grans remedy. Amazing stuff.

Think it's available in the UK. Has never failed on my permanently damp walking boots, waders, wetsuit boots, teenage rugby boots etc etc. Just chuck a teaspoon in the offending article, give it a shake around and leave it for a few days.

https://www.gransremedy.co.nz/
ski holidays
@musher, in fairness I'm hardly a dainty little girl. But I struggle to get boots on and off let alone start taking the damn things apart.

I had noticed with a certain degree of boot envy that Kooky's new boots are half the weight of mine.

@hang11, I'll add that to the list of remedies to check out, thanks.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
@marcellus, because I can't get the linings back in.

That is contributing to the smell. Even with boot drying bag I remove my liners when I get home and often there is dampness in the bottom of the boot. I'd recommend getting the liners out and getting someone to show you how to put them back in.
snow conditions
A couple of pop socks filled with cat litter, knotted and popped into the boots for a few days....works a treat.
ski holidays
I was a bit worried the first time I time took my liners out as I wasn't sure I could get them back in. There's a knack to it, though, and you quickly get used to it.
snow report
I have non removable liners and not particularly watertight snowboard boots. I have some dry zone boot drying bags - basically a big bag full of those silicon granules you get in some electronics packaging - put in lot overnight, bone dry boot in the morning. Place boot drier on radiator for the day and repeat.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/aE6koyDPy0k
ski holidays
I'm not sure if this is an urban myth but I recall something about putting your liners in the freezer for a few days as the cold kills the bacteria that causes the smell.

Worth a try as it can't do any harm.
ski holidays
The liners are out. They are definitely the stinky bit. I shall try all methods suggested. Everything seems bone dry.

I may need help putting them back in again, but I'll worry about that when I need to!

Thanks all.
ski holidays
Bung the liners in the washing machine @30 degrees delicate. I've done this with the kids boots (3x seasonaires) plenty of times. Never had an issue.

Lots will say don't do it, 30 degrees is never gonna alter the structure of the liner in my opinion.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Bung the liners in the washing machine @30 degrees delicate. I've done this with the kids boots (3x seasonaires) plenty of times. Never had an issue.

Lots will say don't do it, 30 degrees is never gonna alter the structure of the liner in my opinion.

30 deg won't do anything..... your feet are at 37 deg Happy
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

30 deg won't do anything..... your feet are at 37 deg Happy

Flooding them with antibacterial detergent will.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy