Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I suspect true FIS gs race skis from a variety of brands might also fit the description

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. At least, not if you grew up in the days of 203s for SL, 207s for GS despite your height and weight!

But maybe my Völkl SGs are on the softer side. I Infernoed on a chums Nordica SGs this year (same length as my own) and nearly gave myself kittens. But I felt that was a lack of mass problem, not a lack of skillz.

Carving any FIS GSs I've tried cleanly in traffic is likely to result in damage. Skarving them very doable. Open empty pistes and opening them up decidely a way to blow out the cobwebs wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Toadman, I have been pursued* down a Chamonix piste by Glen and Kim Plake. I am going to suggest that he at least is reasonably expert.

I know a few top level trainers and ski school directors. Oh, and a couple of Olympians.

I suspect they fit the definition.

*They may not have been aware they were pursuing me.

I've never met any of them. I stand by my original statement. But I do sometimes ride the chairlift with a 6 time Olympic Gold medalist...just not in winter sports, so I have that going for me! Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, I am trying (and can't) recall why the DP Pros seemed such a handful (other than the fact that I just toppled over when I tried to make my first proper turn).

I think at the time I was mostly on a pair of shortish Rossi 9XOs (hardly a handful!, but a rather nice, easy ski, and probably not as I think they were toast by then) or more likely some 165 FIS SLs and so popping up Brevent with a pair of 195 (?) rather wide effectively-DHs was an eye opener.

I do know the first run took a bit of getting used to but then they were lovely. I couldn't justify them and the 2nd hand price wasn't super cheap for things with such a narrow constituency, even in Cham.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Popped in to this thread to read about skis but interested in the other chat. I've just had the dilemma of how to describe my ability when looking to book in and join a party with a guide. Didn't want to hold anyone back, or pay to get bored so it's tricky.

Agree on 'expert'. Advanced is a broad brush but in the UK often means skis blacks! So where do you go after advanced if expert is world class?

When I did book the group, I described myself as 'strong'. The guide was definitely watching my movements before we even got in the lift. All I'll say is I had an extremely good day...

Oh, and he was a former Olympian and WC SuperG winner who used Enforcer 93s 90% of the season, said he only used his 100's a few days a year.

I described my 97mm wide skis as aspirational. Wider than I really need and purchased for what I want to do. Luckily the weather was kind this year and my skis were brilliant. I'll post some feedback on here on the thread that helped me.

P.S. Have you seen the movie Gnar? Watched it with my boy (4 1/2) before we went. He skied up to 2 ESF instructors and announced 'My Daddy is the best skier on the mountain!'. Priceless.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

.S. Have you seen the movie Gnar? Watched it with my boy (4 1/2) before we went. He skied up to 2 ESF instructors and announced 'My Daddy is the best skier on the mountain!'. Priceless.

Ha! Hope they'd seen the movie too or I'd be turning purple.

Quote:

When I did book the group, I described myself as 'strong'.

I try to be quite specific about the amount and sort of skiing I've done to avoid making value judgments. But I'll use the "expert" word if I feel it's required to get the right equipment or group (with embarrassment I might add).

But it's funny how on several occasions when I and my mates have booked a new guide, after we stop for the first time, he'll be grinning and say something along the lines of "we're going to have a really good day". It's not because we are that good it's just they are obviously used to "grade inflation" from clients.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy