Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making Carved turns longer on short skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Henwc, I sent you a PM
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster wrote:
@under a new name,

why would ski manufacturers make (non FIS piste) skis with a longer radius then?

Becasue most punters ski medium to long radius turns. Personally I think both ends of the performance envelope are right - try to carve too tight a turn for the radius of the ski and you will have to have some degree of pivot/stivot to make it, equally try to make a short radius of ski "carve" a long turn with any degree of performance and you are fighting the ski and/or backing off the edging to such a degree it is no longer a performance turn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, short radius skis e.g. SLs are somewhat too twitchy for most people I expect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Becasue most punters ski medium to long radius turns. Personally I think both ends of the performance envelope are right - try to carve too tight a turn for the radius of the ski and you will have to have some degree of pivot/stivot to make it, equally try to make a short radius of ski "carve" a long turn with any degree of performance and you are fighting the ski and/or backing off the edging to such a degree it is no longer a performance turn.

Yes - I agree with that.
But I was asking @under a new name, because he seems to think a 12m radius ski can carve much longer turns perfectly nicely.

Quote:

@jedster, short radius skis e.g. SLs are somewhat too twitchy for most people I expect.

skis aren't twitch on edge are they?
And you are arguing that you can keep an SL on edge across a huge range of turn shapes so how so?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="jedster"]
Quote:

And you are arguing that you can keep an SL on edge across a huge range of turn shapes so how so?

My logic, is that an SL ski can go straight at one end of the spectrum; and can carve very tight short turns at the other.....therefore, the more progressively you ease the edge over onto an angle, the longer the turn will be. You have to be much more sensitive doing Long Turns, than on a dedicated GS ski....and the faster you go, the more difficult and uncomfortable it becomes, until you get to the point that you have to back off.....or at least that is what I have found on my SL11s.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 27-04-17 16:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, pretty much that, although a female friend of mine handed me my derriere in an Inferno a few years ago, I was on DHs, she was on girlies' SLs... full length course as well... Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, sorry as I am sure this is an egg sucking lesson but the sidecut radius doesn't really relate numerically to the actual turn radius - as you are working in 3d whereas it's a 2d measure.

In fact it's actually an infinite radius if you measure at 90 degrees Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is an infinite radius sidecut not just another name for a straight edge?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name,

Yes but the ski also bends which tends to make the radius shorter than the sidecut. If you want a long radius you have to offset that too
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
2 pages!! 2 pages!!! 2 pages!!!!

So much over assessing here peeps... I guess that is because all your seasons are over Sad
How many pages will this be by late November?... I'm going for 24.

I'm sitting here being a keyboard warrior watching meters of snow fall on a completely closed resort so thought I'd add to the length of this highly detailed thread.

My advice.... go skiing with SL skis and learn how to chill out and do a long turn!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:
2 pages!! 2 pages!!! 2 pages!!!!

So much over assessing here peeps... I guess that is because all your seasons are over Sad
How many pages will this be by late November?... I'm going for 24.

I'm sitting here being a keyboard warrior watching meters of snow fall on a completely closed resort so thought I'd add to the length of this highly detailed thread.

My advice.... go skiing with SL skis and learn how to chill out and do a long turn!

This is an SL thread, so will be shorter....to get a longer one, you need a GS/SG thread. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag,
The turns might be tighter but from experience it will be just as long.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, it may very well slide off the rails at a few points though.... that'll extend the distance it can go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does make you wonder though when a ski is advertised as a certain radius how bent it is assumed to be when that is measured.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iSnowhead wrote:
It does make you wonder though when a ski is advertised as a certain radius how bent it is assumed to be when that is measured.

The given radius, is the size of the circle that would be theoretically drawn from the given sidecut.....so not measured with the ski bent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy