Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For Sale: Amazing Value: Head Absolute Joy 9 Women's ski, 158cm, excellent condition

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm selling my Head Absolute Joy 9 ski's after just two trips as they are too long. The retailer has offered to sell me the 153cm at cost price if I can sell these ones. They are an outstanding ski, so light and versatile, high performance and a lot of fun.

They are in top notch condition - I paid £375 for them in December and have used them in Whistler and La Plagne this season, all on piste skiing in fabulous conditions so no marks on the top of them and only a couple of very light scratches on the underside. They've hit no rocks, no chips or anything. They are my first set of ski's after 12yrs skiing so I was taking amazing care of them.

The retailer has offered me a free service on them too, if the buyer would like. I am based in Dartford so ideally pick up only or I could deliver in the Essex area, or have a pick up location there.

Ideally I'd like £250 for them as that's what I will pay for the 153cm's. They really are a bargain due to the condition and low use - I don't want to profit from the sale, just sell them so I can replace them. I can supply photo's too, I just haven't taken them yet.

Also, does anyone recommend any other places I might be able to sell these, other than eBay?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-03-17 16:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@InvictaWhiteSki, You may want to buy your new ones from someone else. These are available retail for much less than the 'cost' price you have been quoted.

http://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/pure-joy-slr-joy9-2017-HEAD00124.html?size=153%20cm&gclid=CjwKEAjwkq7GBRDun9iu2JjyhmsSJADHCD_HOIeTzfMPrhMBtlIWCTLcU-cRpuNSQZczddKIfJOnkxoCKrnw_wcB
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those aren't the same ski, mine are the Absolute Joy, the ones in your link are the Pure Joy.

These are the ones I have:

http://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/absolut-joy-slr-joy9-2017-HEAD00123.html
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, my mistake. They get good reviews.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problem. They are fantastic ski's, really versatile and a lot of fun, and so lightweight too. My speed/carving has improved a lot this year thanks for a much more advanced ski, but I just want the slightly shorter length as my short/quick turns suffered. I always hired ski's between 147cm-150cm so I think the jump to 158cm on a much more challenging/less flex ski was a little too much too soon.....although it could be completely psychological too! But after two weeks skiing on them, I think the 153cm will suit me better. It was the shop that convinced me to get 158cm, otherwise I would have bought 153cm to start with. (I will query the cost price of the 153cm though if I find I can buy them for the same price elsewhere! wink They actually came from Skee Tex....not far from you!) Unfortunately, I'm not confident I will be able to sell them though as it's so late in the season so I will likely be deferring until next season.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@InvictaWhiteSki, Are you sure this is a good idea? Hire shops often hand out skis shorter than you might purchase yourself, especially if they suspect the customer is a beginner/intermediate skier. I learnt on 140s, progressed onto 150s and now my piste skis are 159cm, but I'm happy enough on anything up to about 164cm for that type of skiing. I certainly wouldn't go back to short skis on a permanent basis.

As you seem to have established, used skis can be difficult to shift for anything like what you paid for them, so this "downgrade" is likely to cost you at least a little bit of money. Might you be better off holding on to them and improving your technique so that you feel a bit more confident on them (this with the caveat that we don't know anything about you size or ability unless you decide to share it)?
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet what is your ski background? When did you start skiing and how often do you ski? Trying to get an idea of your background to put the ski progression in context - it sounds like you are much more advanced than me though.

And thanks, I genuinely appreciate the advice/tips. I'm 5'5" tall. The advice I was given was the 158cm are the highest I should go – I think they come up to just above my eye level with regular shoes on so the 153cm will be just below my eye level. I appreciate what you are saying but I lost all my confidence skiing this year on the longer ski’s – I’m classed as an advanced intermediate skier according to all the ski shops/websites (I went to a few shops) - I was going to buy the 153cm and the really encouraged me to go 158cm. I will ski any blue/red runs, and black runs that are wide to give me space to bail on turns if I need to. I’m not a mogul skier, off-piste skier, or tree skier and don’t plan to be as I don't ski enough to get good on them – although I would attempt them sometimes in previous years for fun, but no way this year. I usually do two week’s skiing a year and on all the ski’s I have hired previously, I would have my ‘ski legs’ by the end of day 1 (or recognise if I need a different ski) and be willing to give anything a go with the confidence that I was in control and could stop or avoid any obstacles quickly if need be.

This year on both trips, I was OK on wide runs no matter what steepness (although it’s the first time in years I’ve had no confidence to do a black so didn’t do any blacks) but as soon as we got to narrow runs, whether blue or red, I struggled and ended up in a lot of snow ploughs because I was catching so many edges so frequently…..very unlike me and my friends noticed I was struggling on these types of runs. I knew I had to ski a lot ‘harder’ on this ski to get it to respond and ski like a dream…..and it did on the wider pistes after I had worked them a little and figured it out. I tried all sorts of skiing techniques on the narrower stuff (we have an instructor that comes with us) and I just couldn’t get it right on those runs and was unsafe/not in control. I also gave up little jumps and fun ‘edge of piste’ antics because every time I tried, it just didn’t work. The only thing I can put this down to is that in all these instances, no matter how relaxed or confident I felt, the ski’s felt like clown shoes/really heavy on my feet in those situations. But the carving and speed were great. The ski shop said they have never had anyone have any issues with these ski’s across all conditions/slope types – they sell out every year they are so popular. I started skiing at 21 so I’m not someone that has ski’d since I was a tot, but I am fit/active and have a very good technique……well, mostly until this year. I’ve probably done around 22 weeks skiing in total, I wasn’t expecting to put the ski’s on and love them immediately, I knew they would be work. I wanted my own ski’s to become a consistently improved skier and have consistency in the ski’s I use each year. If the length is purely psychological, then losing 5cm off them should solve that problem. If it’s not psychological, then I will likely have the same issue on the 153cm’s and will need to persevere. I won’t be skiing again now until next year so I can’t see how it will improve without changing something but please do offer any advice as I don’t think they will sell this season anyway.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@InvictaWhiteSki, I've skied for nine years, 3-4 weeks per year recently, around 15 weeks in total. I am about 4cm shorter than you, so I'm going to assume a bit lighter as well (I'm 56kg).

Regarding the edges catching: have you had the skis serviced recently? It is possible that the tune is not the same as it was previously and is affecting how the skis feel, which can then affect your confidence.

I had a look online at this model (sorry, I haven't tested them so can't comment first-hand), but there is nothing about the design or dimensions that suggests they would be too short for you. Unusually, Head do increment the length in small jumps (there are six size options here, where three would be more normal), so you can be quite specific about your choices. However, as you have noted, there is unlikely to be a huge difference from 158 to 153cm, so the problem is likely an internal one and therefore unlikely to be solved.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
THanks @Scarlett My weight is slightly less, 52kg. I did wonder about the servicing - they were serviced when bought though, and then the shop did a free wax and edge between my two trips when I went to seek advice on them so they should have been pretty much the same for both trips. It's the first time I have ever experienced restrictions on being able to just manoeuvre ski's in short turns or quickly on narrow slopes. I wondered about the lightness of the ski versus my own weight and the length too, as they are very light. If I can sell these to try the 153cm with minimal cost, then that's of value to me as I really do enjoy them on the wider runs. If I don't get on with them next season (either 158 or 153) I'll have to sell them anyway to try something else so at the moment, I have nothing to lose with trying to sell them now. If I can't, I will try them again next season. But if the length is all psychological, then at least I would find that out with the 153cm too! As it could purely be psychological, but I think I would have gotten past that now after 15 days skiing this year.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
InvictaWhiteSki wrote:
the shop did a free wax and edge between my two trips when I went to seek advice on them so they should have been pretty much the same for both trips.

Not necessarily. If the base angle has been reduced or the service is poor, that could result in you catching an edge more than normal. All ski services are not created equal, and as a couple of other threads on here have alluded to recently, this can make a big difference.

That said, you are quite light, although this is a lightweight ski so should be fine. Good luck with whatever you decide.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@InvictaWhiteSki, .a couple of things..first, a trivial point: something a bit odd here - you say that they were serviced when bought? Do you mean that they came from the factory with set edges and prep'd bases - which is what one would expect...or that the shop serviced them prior to sale? Never come across the latter. I indeed do some base prep and waxing with new skis sometimes, but never experienced a shop do that voluntarily.
Secondly, and more important, these skis at 158 have a pronounced tip rocker. This makes them equivalent to a much shorter trad camber ski. I haven't measured this specific ski but it can reduce the effective length by as much as 15-20cms. I am 5-7 and for my short piste skis, I have skied on 155ish trad camber skis for ages, sometimes 160. Many would say this is too short for me, but I like staying tightly on edge, doing short turns mostly everywhere, and like the bumps. So short is OK for me. When I had bad injury for a while I skied on 145 trad camber, but that was just for rehabilitation. With tip rocker, your 158 are most likely equivalent to a trad camber ski of 145-140, which is already on the bottom end of the length range for a 5-5 person, if you are interested in a stable ski. I think the key thing is getting pressure onto the front of your skis, which is consistent with the problems you were having. Spending money on 1:1 instruction would probably be a better idea than exchanging skis. Moving to a 153 with rocker would be quite drastic - you could try a hire ski with rocker at that length and see how you get on, rather than change your skis and regret it. It may be that changing the forward lean on your boots - to a more aggressive forward lean might help. It may also be the case that you boots are too soft, and collapsing when you pressure them, which gives the effect of lack of grip and turning ability in the ski.

I found it difficult to get onto the front of the skis after using 145s, but the moment I got the technique back, 155s without tip rocker were feeling a little too short for me, at 5-7.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. Maybe I will stick with them for another season and see how it goes. Between trips, the ski shop checked them for any issues that might be causing my concerns, before doing the wax and edge so it wasn't a full service but they were checking for any problems with the ski's. Maybe I will do a 1-1 lesson at the start of our next ski trip (2018 now Sad ) and see how that goes - although we do have an instructor that comes with us but I hate asking him too many questions whilst on his holiday! I always say I'm going to have a 1-1 lesson just to get some extra tips and such as you can never learn too much so maybe this will prompt me now.

They did tell me when I bought them that due to the rocker, I should feel like I'm skiing on the same length ski I have been used to previously.....that just wasn't the case. I'm sure I'll get there, just wish I could have a few more days on the slopes this season to try some more as it has affected my enjoyment of my two holidays this year. Thanks again all! Smile
ski holidays     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy