Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep Terrain Kick Turn

Poster: A snowHead
Had the GoPro on today as I was filming Les Rando Chiens and then was talking to OH about kick turns, and she was complaining how she could not swing her ski round, and there's no way I'm any more flexible than her, so I sort of exaggerated how to get the ski around and then how to bring the ski close up to the knee and pivot it around without the need for a kick.

As ever was very easy on not too steep a slope and spring snow rolling eyes

Should also add that I have a mini Vesuvius ulcer on my ankle bone so kick turns are feckin painful at the moment for me

http://youtube.com/v/M_OTZoo3Meo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That does clear things up. I guess they're pretty light skis you've got there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without wishing to complicate matters, there is a slightly more polka version of the movement for the first ski (old uphill), where the ski is drawn back so the tip is next to the ankle, then the ski is pivioted around the tip somewhere between 100-170 Deg, depending on your flexibility, then the leg extended uphill to clear the tail from overlapping, then the little mantle shelf as before, with the option of stuffing the tail under the other ski if the ground is soft enough. I must add if I'm going to cock it up it's never with the first ski move, rather when I've transferred my weight then catching the tip of the second ski in the snow above. The pole thing is also interesting, some swear by having both poles uphill, others, myself and it looks like weathercam included go for one above and one below, which can be very handy if you don't quite make it Smile
@Weathercam, I see they are scott skis you have there but which ones? Superguide 88?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski's are indeed Scott Superguides 88's

And yesterday I was on my K2 Coombacks 115 and a little longer and I was climbing a really steep face and my technique just went out of the window with the bigger ski as the gradient increased, so much so that I had to resort to boot pack the last 50m to the ridge.

So thread drift, when do you give up kick turning and resort to boot packing rolling eyes

Stunning views over to La Meije and La Grave from the ridge

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, when the long blue dashes change to dots?
Seriously, I tend to wimp it out especially if there is some boot packing anyway. It's a similar dilemma with crampons, the tendency is to put them on either skis or boots after someone's taken a pisser.

I've been thinking of getting some 88s to supplement my powdairs. How do you like them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jbob, I have Scott Powdairs as well - I use those for hut to hut tours or road trips when I'm not too sure of conditions and routes so they're a good all rounder.

My 88's are great for routes when I know I'm not going to encounter cold fresh (deep), or heavy snow, i.e classic spring corn and they are very light with Dynafiddles.

Then my 115's are my de facto powder ski.

I do also have a Scott Cascade with Scott Guardian bindings, except I'm down to just the single one at the moment after getting caught in a slide couple of months ago so hope to go up in the summer and find it.

The blue dots do give you a good idea that it's steep, but you can see that from the contours, I actually went to roughly where it's 3005 on the ridge.

I've just been looking at another route that I did a few years back and some 40 kick turns and that's blue dots all the way and we did not boot pack at all on that, though that's not one I'd do on my own as it's N facing and I've seen it slide often.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been trying to do the Ski Touring Kick Turn for years.
But a combination of old creaky joints and terror always ruins the process.
And i end up doing the knackering scary "walk round".
There's a bottle of malt whisky for anyone who can get me to do it right.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, my worst turn was when I chopped a bum sized hole with my axe, stuck my ass in it and lifted my skis round below me.
I guess you could call it an A turn, not recommended.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
no one should be taught to jab the tail of the ski in to make a kick turn.
That's going to work about 15% of the time......
Better to learn to make a proper kick turn - quicker more efficient and safer when it gets steep
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chamo74, totally agree, what I keep in mind is trying not to let my feet get too far apart after the first part of the turn, much easier said than done.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^It's obviously not 'how you should learn' it, but it is a very useful tool which should be taught (especially if you spend any time skinning for powder on big skis).

@jbob, the key for me is making sure the downhill ski is parallel to the slope and not pointing uphill; everything else then seems to follow much better. But I have short inflexible legs so YMMV.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, my problem is getting my feet into the position,
https://ballethub.com/ballet-lesson/five-basic-positions-ballet/
This means the more parallel my downhill foot the steeper my up hill ski. Eck!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, I'm 59 and stiff as an old board with uber tight legs so it is difficult.

The answer for me is to swing my legs twice, scooping the tip up but not actually turning look at vid top of page and 44 secs in and then third time lucky I swing and it goes round perfect to a solid parallel position to the slope.

It's almost that it opens up my hip flexors, if I don't do I can then get into the V of death Smile

Once you have that solid position you can do what you want with the other ski depending on snow depth / gradient, classic kick turn or drifting the ski around the top of your boot as I do at 50 secs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, I’ll definitely try that. My focus this year is to end up with my feet a little closer together.
I’m hoping my 88s will be as nimble on the turns as my old dynastar alti trails, problem was they were crap to ski on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jbob, try it in your house or in the garden It's almost harder as opposed to being on the hill.

I'm now going on those pesky things, xc skis!
snow report
@Weathercam, I’m doing more and more xc skiing. Used to have the odd day if it was snowing hard now I’m doing at least a day a week. Even thinking of up grading my decathlon kit. I’m now getting chicked by mrs jbob on her super duper skis with nylon kicker skins.
ski holidays
Well past it now but learnt this (on easy terrain) in Norway in 1963 with skis as long as hands held above head. Was young and flexible then.......

Skiing with a bunch of family kids and others from the same hotel some years ago two of the kids - on blades - could turn out so well that their blades formed one long ski, one behind the other, and do turns down an easy slope like that. One was my niece - a dancer and gymnast - the other a young boy who was a fabulous ice skater and hockey player. Showing off? O yes, but I, for one, was impressed.
snow conditions
@jbob, after yesterday's XC outing now seriously thinking about skating gear as appeals so much to the old athlete in me.
snow conditions
Go for it, @Weathercam. I'm sorry I came to XC too late and am too crap at it to do skating.
snow report
Thought this kick turn was interesting 30 seconds in http://arelive.se/2018/04/06/klipp-tips-for-toppturen/. Not particularly steep, but being inexperienced at touring it looks easier and more balanced to turn the ski behind the other boot like he does, rather than swing the whole ski around as you see in other videos. Comments?
latest report
http://blog.alpineinstitute.com/2018/02/backcountry-skiing-skin-track-corners.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy