Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter - Avoriaz, Chatel, La Tania or Saint Foy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SHs,

Trying to get a late holiday booked for Easter (8-15th April) and have been offered good deals at Morzone (skiing in Avoriaz I'd expect due to height), Chatel, La Tania and Sainte Foy. Question is what are the odds of getting half decent snow in any of these resorts? Key drivers are kids in ski school and decent area for some child free time (ideally with a board park to relive my youth). Options I have can be summarised as follows:

Morzine - very good value at under £300pp for a catered chalet with hot tub, shuttle to lifts etc. Lift passes are free for kids when buying an adult pass so this works out at very good value..... but I expect I need to get up to Avoriaz to get good snow? Would this be too much hassle with kids?

Chatel - luxury chalet option with all the bells and whistles for a bit more money. Free shuttles to lifts so hoping there works still be plenty of snow in the Pra da Joyx area (where we would drop off kids at ski school) and looks like easy access to Avoriaz. As above free kids lift pass make this a good value option for standard of accommodation etc.

La Tania - few options here, fairly standard chalet accommodation, bit of a longer transfer. Is the snow likely to be much better? Don't know much about the resort....

St Foy - would normally rule it out due to size, but a few prior I know have raved about it especially for families. Nice chalet and very reasonable (similar cost to Morzine option as lift passes are free for the kids). Looks a fairly decent altitude and mostly north facing slopes so probably the best conditions? Free beer/wine anytime is a plus!

So the the question for any knowledgeable (or less so) SHs is what would you go for and why?? I hate making decisions!

Thanks in advance,

Ted
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At that time of year I would go to la tania as it is linked to higher skiing. The transfer is not too bad. Although morzine has higher skiing in avoriaz there may be little or nothing left in morzine. Of course with the way the season has been for the last three years the snow has been pretty good in lots of places in April
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At that time of year I would go to la tania as it is linked to higher skiing. The transfer is not too bad. Although morzine has higher skiing in avoriaz there may be little or nothing left in morzine. Of course with the way the season has been for the last three years the snow has been pretty good in lots of places in April
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't you go higher e.g. Tignes or Val Thorens? There should still be good deals. All the places you are looking at are very low so high likelihood of lots of up/down lift to get to/from decent snow. It's very warm now and nothing significant showing on the mid term forecast so I'd be very cautious with a low resort. Alternatively leave the booking until a couple of days before and that way you will have a better idea of conditions
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Free beer & wine ??...sounds like Chalet Marigold ??.....if so then that's a shoe in for me.......the standard of food in there is amazing.......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stefoy4me, what is St Foy like for April skiing? Not one I have been to, wondering if we should at the list?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been several times in April...a lot of it is north facing so protected for longer periods from the fierce sun at that time of year........we love it but I guess it depends on your group composition and how many miles you want to ski......its too small for many, but then the mega resorts are too big for us.

our kids are young so we feel comfortable they know where they are going if they want to do an extra run whilst we are finishing lunch or having a break.......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stefoy4me, our children are 7 & 10. Next year we are going to Sweden for half term. Sticking to school holidays really limits our options (due to budget constraints). Now that the children are older and we will be skiing together (with the youngest on autistic spectrum and dyspraxic) I would rather have smaller resorts than miles of skiing. It does sound like a good option. Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Sainte Foy for the second week of a two week Easter ski holiday. The runs it does have are enjoyable but not being an off piste skier I found it too limited. It is also full of Brits and l like to feel I'm in France speaking a bit of French. The other thing to bear in mind in the second week of April is that a couple of runs might have shut by then making the ski area even smaller. The lift pass is not that cheap per km compared to other places. It also has the most expensive ski school we have ever come across. I was glad to have experienced it but would not rush back. I much prefer neighbouring La Rosiere which has the excitement of the link to Italy.

@Fast_ted, I would see if you can find anything in Les Arcs, Tignes or Val Thorens that week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, I had not read your post above when I made my post. Sainte Foy might be a good option for you if you are not fussed about a large ski area. It is family orientated and at the end of the week the ESF organise a slalom competition open to adults as well as children snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all for your responses

Chris - for whatever reason la Tania has the least appeal but will take a closer look.....

I may wait a week or two and see if any significant snow is forecast as that could change everything.

St Foy does concern me size wise but the chalet company that has offered us a deal (not Marigold I'm afraid!) said they could do some freestyle snowboard coaching which could keep us occupied for a while when kids are in ski school.

Will have a look at Tignes, Val Thorens etc. The offers I've got were through chalet direct solutions (that someone recommended on here) but tend to favour PDS or La Tania/Meribel for some reason. Problem with these resorts is transfers can cost a fortune and we leave early on the 15th, plus small kids all favours a shorter transfer.

Just to give you an idea of costs for the options I'm looking at, as let's face it certainly makes a difference. Costs for all 11 of us in catered accommodation, transfers, lift passes and ski school for the 6 kids as follows:

Morzine - £5,200 (Avoriaz ESF)
Chatel (high end) - £7,850
La Tania - £7,500
St Foy - £5,600

for me personally about £1,250 difference from top to bottom.

As I say hate making decisions!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any other good sites for finding late deals??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
whiteroom then ?? LOL
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stefoy4me you clearly know St Foy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
although I don t know him personally had friends stay with Whiteroom and were very happy with them, and he is definitely very accomplished on the plank!!!!
latest report
I'm surprised that any of your list are open mid April. If they are, none of them are really high enough to be snow sure, especially when spending that sort of money.
snow report
You say that but take the likes of Flaine which is one of the most snow sure at 1600m.

I was in Morzine/Avoriaz a couple of years ago in the last week in March and not much low down but plenty higher up. But that was a better season overall I think....

Will see if find any comparable deals higher up but don't fancy my chances.
latest report
I have a biased view and can only recommend Chatel from your list! The Pre La Joux area gets a lot of snow and holds it well due to its mainly Northerly aspect - the upper slopes are just a tad lower than Avoriaz (<100m?), which is easily accessed. It's a month away and hope to have one or two snow falls before you go. Only downside is getting transported to the bottom of PLJ area which may not be to the liking of everyone in your group.
snow report
Thanks for the reply Ozboy. I've always fancied Chatel. If we went with that option then the chalet company bus you to PLJ so that shouldn't be an issue. May wait and see if the weather brings any more snow
snow report
You should also be able to access via the Linga area which easily connects to PLJ.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy