Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Winter Tyre / Snow Chain Question (sorry)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Sorry, I know there are a lot of posts about winter tyres and snow chains, but I couldn't find an answer to my question in any of them.

I am renting a car from Unirent (Europcar) on 3rd April from the Swiss side at Geneva airport.

The voucher I have confirms that the car will come with winter tyres (Winterization), but snow chains are an optional extra.

We are driving to Les Menuires, I am just wondering if Winter tyres negate the need for snow chains in the eyes of the french authorities or are snow chains a legal necessity?

Thanks in advance Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Legally you'll still need a set of chains in the vehicle.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@newrealm22, slightly surprised the answer wasn't evident in other threads as it has rather been done to death.

If if has snowed enough you will be obliged to fit chains unless you have a 4/4 with all round winter (3mpsf) tyres in which case you might /probably get away with it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If its not snowing or forecast to be going to I wouldn't even give it another thought.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, also has a point.

I've lived in Geneva and spent most weekends in the alps and (my car is 4/4) don't even own chains.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The op doesn't say how long they will be in resort for, but if it's a week or more than they aren't going to know whether it's likely to be snowing for their return journey.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thelem, while I totally agree that such mid term forecasting is unreliable, a trend can be established.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy