Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vegan Food on the Piste - Sainte Foy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You became Vegan to reduce your carbon footprint, yet you are going skiing in the Alps:
- how are you travelling there? - walking or cycling?
- Is the electricity in your accommodation from renewable sources?
- Is the electricity for the chairlifts/cafes etc offset
- Are the piste bashers hybrid or pure electric?
- Is the snow natural, or man made? If man made, what is the carbon cost of producing that?

Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grinning wrote:
if you do find "Vegan food on the Piste" in Ste Foy or anywhere else, then I suggest you leave it there.

I'll get my coat...
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tele wrote:
You became Vegan to reduce your carbon footprint, yet you are going skiing in the Alps:
- how are you travelling there? - walking or cycling?
- Is the electricity in your accommodation from renewable sources?
- Is the electricity for the chairlifts/cafes etc offset
- Are the piste bashers hybrid or pure electric?
- Is the snow natural, or man made? If man made, what is the carbon cost of producing that?

Razz

To be fair my reading of what he has said is that he acknowledges that he does have an environmental impact, but that his way of minimising it is to be Vegan.
Not what I would choose, but it is the kind of non preachy stance that I admire..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a (mildly) serious note, you could probably have a reasonable-ish meal in the Tapas bar (Le St Germain), I know I've had some lovely veggie dishes there - you could ask them to hold the cheese for your GF.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can imagine it will be just green salad everywhere. You can't guarantee that there will be bread without animal products,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar, I have to agree with you. Despite the fact that many of us regard veganism as utterly faddish and bonkers ("Guilty as charged, M'lud"), one does have to applaud the OP's lack of 'preachyness'. Still, at least he hasn't tried to suggest that fox hunting is wrong.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd better shut up. Not been on a hunt for years though. And that wasn't as a sab.

There may be green salad, but I still wouldn't trust anything that goes with it, including the dressing if I was veggie or trying to follow a diet because of intolerance. Did see "Sandwich végétation" in one shop in france. Sure it did contain vegetation, but that doesn't mean vegetarian nor vegan.

A friend of mine typically ends up with a whole array of starters at an indian/chinese place, and usually has words with the head chef to make sure it's absolutely not cooked with ghee, sauce absolultely cream free, etc. Not vegan, but follows a vegan diet basically to avoid the things he (medically) can't have rather than just (voluntarily) can't have. Good luck with that in the alps, where butter, cheese and bacon are all "vegetarian".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lost123, as you will have seen, this is about the worst place to find out useful info about vegan food in resort because you just get swamped in irrelevant to the question gush, sometimes verging on the aggressive. This put me off going on a Snowheads bash for 13 years, but I just did, and the vegan catering was fabulous. Join the Off Piste Bash next year to find out.

It doesn't matter why you are vegan, all you are asking is where to get vegan food. Next time try the Vegan Skiers and Snowboarders group on Facebook for more helpful advice.

As for your question, I've been a vegan skier for 24 years and this is what you can get anywhere in the Alps:
snowHead salad - the self service bars often have chickpeas and olives and other filling stuff like that
snowHead chips - almost always cooked in veg fat (only necessary to query at some of the more artisanal places)
snowHead soup - just use basic language skills to check on milk and stock content.

And in some places:
snowHead hand made pizza with lots of toppings and no cheese
snowHead falafel burger at Scotty's in Tignes and Plagne Centre
snowHead Thai curry at Bagus Cafe in Tignes le Lac (if still the same)
snowHead Mexican, Indian and sushi places if you are really lucky, though the French resorts try to keep foreign food out.
snowHead In Austria you can often get a vegan rosti

What I do for lunch:
snowHead eat yummy leftovers and sandwiches to save money and enjoy the views from well situated rocks
snowHead buy a soup or salad and put my helmet on the table with sarnies hidden in it to nibble when staff are not looking
snowHead sandwich ideas: avocado, cashew nuts and chutney; peanut butter and banana; home-made pate and lettuce

Where you can buy ingredients:
snowHead French supermarkets, even tiny ones, are fabulous for vegan ingredients as well as high quality fresh produce. All have plant milks, vegan cream, soya yogurt, peanut butter, avocados. Many have 100% vegetal margarine, tofu, and yeast flakes.
snowHead it's easy to make a simple pate by fork-mashing beans/chickpeas with tomato puree, margarine, finely chopped onion and herbs.

As for good catered accommodation, most small to medium British companies will do well with good notice and you being pro-active in giving them support. My kids have had amazing food in an Austrian sport hotel in Wagrain, and I've heard of other sport hotels being similarly good. Hotel de l'Europe in Monetier les Bains, where the off piste bash was, is excellent - they can even make vegan meringues. Colorado resorts served vegan burgers everywhere even 20 years ago, probably even better now. Whistler in Canada even has a vegan restaurant or two - I want to go there one day!

If you want me to send you the basic vegan catering info I send to any catered ski accommodation place I'm going to stay, just pm me.

I hope you are having a lovely week. I always get home heavier than I left, so I know you'll have no problem getting enough to eat with a bit of planning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SophieFP, I have just had an interesting conversation on FB with a French home owner who insists he can't get any of the chefs in his (very exclusive) Provence village to cater properly for his coeliac mother-in-law or his vegan sister. Apparently sympathetic French chefs do not exist according to him. I am so glad that the Europe catered well for you. A vegan diet is not for me but would argue that everyone is allowed to make a choice and to have that choice respected if possible, even if you are in a minority.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My Mrs is coeliac and of the many places around the world we've been, the UK has been the hardest to get GF meals!! All pretty good these days though to be honest. Sometimes it's a case of a 'meat and 2 veg' option with no sauce, but as long as you don't expect the same choice as the others it's no longer a problem in our experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a vegan with us in Austria who was amazed at the quality of food he got in our hotel and on the mountain - but he did seem happy eating loads of fruit at breakfast. He was even giving away some of his supplementary supplies which he had not used on the night before we left!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not a vegan but I'm a big fan of just bananas, espresso and water on the mountain - not all mixed up - probably not going to fit the bill if you fancy a plat de jour on the sun deck though
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sort for the delayed reply.

@tele, I ski and use planes, transfers, and ski lifts that would be running regardless, which pretty much mitigates most of the impact. I also don't drive in the UK and use public transport / walk.

Anyway, it turned out to not be too bad. First day we had a chickpea and veg soup which was dairy free on the mountain (the next two days it was chips and ketchup at the marquis)

And we had a small kitchen in our apartment so we cooked each night. Though 6 euros for a fajita kit one night was a bit excessive!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
Good luck with that in the alps, where butter, cheese and bacon are all "vegetarian".

Butter and cheese ARE vegetarian - just not vegan.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lost123, Glad you survived and didn't starve. I know you are aren't remotley prechy, but this bit did make me laugh:

Quote:

I ski and use planes, transfers, and ski lifts that would be running regardless, which pretty much mitigates most of the impact

If the animals have been slaughtered anyway, does it make it OK to eat them? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy