Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calf muscle pain, possible causes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For many years I have suffered with calf muscle pain after skiing. It feels like I've climbed a 1,000 steps the day before. After a few days of skiing it subsides. After talking with an instructor he reckons it was from not having my shoulders forward enough and using the calf muscles to pull yourself too upright. After a recent week of skiing and concentrating on positioning I feel I've improved somewhat. I do plenty on the crosstrainer machine and pretty fit otherwise.

However I went to the local snow dome yesterday and it was as bad as ever today. Sad Is there another cause of calf overuse? Does gliding strain them much? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would think poor form usually affect the quads more than calves. I'm susceptible to tight calves, more from cycling than skiing. I find stretching and foam rolling them helps a lot. They feel quite sore and constricted after a long ride if I haven't been good with my stretching routine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@king key, have you had your boots professionally fitted or checked? They could be leaning to far forwards putting to much strain on the calves as one example of where it may be equipment related. Lots of things can be done inc shims in boots etc etc. I have to stretch my calves twice daily (whilst doing my teeth) as I suffer from tight calves from running and playing hockey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies.

I feel it's unlikely to be the boots as it's been an ongoing issue for 30 odd years and I've used upteen boots during this period. I currently have a pair of Salmon X Pro 100 boots heat moulded to suit and custom footbeds by Profeet (very comfy). I'll try stretching the calfs more (a bit lazy on this sort of thing Embarassed )

"foam rolling them helps a lot" Puzzled Please explain?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/M5ypIlpSJBI

Horribly painful until u are used to it. Helps blood circulation. Let the muscle melt into it if u can bear letting ur weigh just sitting on the roller. U should also do quads, it band on the roller. Each more painful than the other. But keep at it, it really does help.

Get the black foam roller. U may want to try something call "the stick" also. Any runners store will have it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I've never come across this technique before.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are tight, it will hurt a lot at the start. I can do it for 5-10 few minutes now. But need to roll, my quads and it band more often. U can also roll your lower back to loosen tightness there. It's quite a useful thing to have.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@king key,

The advice will depend on how old you are>
If you are fit and do cross train its seems a little odd.

Things that spring to mind are

you are doing no calf work ( especially soleus)
poor biomechanical setup with boots
need work on ski technique/position on skis
an unusual cause like poor blood flow ( more likely is a smoker and over 55) or neural ( any age)

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again.

Just to fill in the blanks, I'm 52, non-smoker, non-drinker, use the crosstrainer every other day in the 2 months leading up to the skiing season. Prior to this I prefer cycling as my main means of keeping fit. I don't find the crosstrainer strongly uses the calfs, rather find the machine gets you generally fit without focusing on any particularly group. I consider it my cardio and stamina workout routine. I'll confess to being lazy with regular stretching. Embarassed

I bought one of the foam rollers as suggested above, kin'll! it's an instrument of torture. Sad I've started doing some exercises at strengthening the calfs and I'll persist with the roller. Any other tips?? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@king key,

Sounds like you need some calf strengthening.
Skiing really uses the soleus, which helps with fore aft balance and control of foot/lower limb position.

Foam roller may facilitate with stretching, but it sounds more a strength issue if you are otherwise healthy.

If it doesn't settle get it looked at properly

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Update.

Thank you all, the issue with the calfs seems to be getting much better. I've been doing regular stretching, exercising the soleus (never heard of this muscle until it was mentioned here Embarassed ) and using that instrument of torture roller. I went skiing for 3 hours yesterday at Hemel and for the first time ever no calf pain the following day. Very Happy Very Happy

So once again many thanks. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update number 2.

Had a week in Chatel and for the first time in 30 odd years of skiing no calf pain. Very Happy Very Happy

Many thanks for the diagnostics.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now the real fun begins! Just make sure the first cliffs you huck have soft landing zones.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy