Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sloping Shoulders

Poster: A snowHead
We went to Pre La Joux (Chatel) Sunday around 10:30 AM, all the car parks were pretty empty, but the guy who was managing the parking in P5 told me I had to move much closer to the vehicle next to mine. This car park does not have any marked spaces, and is basically a big expanse of gravel / snow / mud.
When my car door was open (it does not have long doors like a 3 door car), there was about 10 inches of space to the next car.

I refused saying that previously my other car had been scratched by somebody dropping skis against it, causing damage to the rear quarter, boot lid and bumper. The guy insisted that I move or he would call the supervisor.

I asked if he, personally, or indeed the company “managing” the parking would accept responsibility for any damage to my vehicle which resulted from it being parked really close to the next car.
Naturally he said he would not and neither would the company, and if I wanted to complain I should contact the company in writing.

So as I understand the situation: I am responsible for any damage to my vehicle, but not entitled to mitigate the risk by leaving a space big enough to open a car door, while on the other hand the company who “manages” the parking, and insist you park super-close to the other vehicles, carries no responsibility.

I have lived in France for many years now, so have come to expect this kind of Bravo Sierra. Is this kind of nonsense normal in other ski areas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

When my car door was open (it does not have long doors like a 3 door car), there was about 10 inches of space to the next car.

Am I reading this right. You were able to open your car door fully and still had another 10 inches of space between it and the next car?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Before he insisted I move it ......
After moving it I the passenger door could only open 75% without hitting the next car.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had there been UK-Tesco style minimum spec spaces, would you have parked across 2? Most car parks demand that you park in designated spaces: what's so different about being treated as if there were spaces?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have not lived in the UK for years so do not know how narrow the spaces are ( I imagine that planning legislation would demand that they are fit for purpose), but I would respect the boundaries of the space provided.
If it seemed super narrow, I would go to the farthest corner of the carpark where I could find a space with no car in the adjoining one, if I could not find one where I was able to open my door.
Even car parks with spaces should allow room for you to open your doors ( especially on a 5 door car that has shorter doors than a 3-door one).
Where the guy made me park this was not possible.
Some other differences from the Tesco analogy, are that last time I was in a Tesco car park (13 years ago) I did not notice a bunch of tired people clumping around in ski boots, walking on uneven ground carrying skis and poles.
People who have a roof box / rack WILL carry their kit down in the narrow gap between the vehicles, as they need lo load and fasten it from the side, whereas you can load your shopping into the boot from behind the car.

Also kids have very poor spacial awareness, and will just open the car door as they do normally, irrespective if there is another car close by.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WindOfChange wrote:
I have not lived in the UK for years so do not know how narrow the spaces are ( I imagine that planning legislation would demand that they are fit for purpose), but I would respect the boundaries of the space provided.

Standard size in the UK is 2.4m
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I couldn't tell you the last time I parked in a designated parking space and was able to fully open my doors.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In France it is 2.5m x 5m ( 3m x5m for blue badge) , so for normal parking lots you should have around 70cm between cars. ( if average car width is 1m80 ). Where people need to get between vehicles to load awkward bits of kit, and there are no markings, you might expect the gap to be slightly larger. In any case after my car was re-parked there was about 55-60 cm, when there was absolutely no need whatsoever as there was loads of space in p1-5 and p7 was completely empty.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dode, yep. The problem is that spaces have been the same size for decades (even the size of 2.4 x 4.8 is from imperial sizing) but cars have got a lot bigger, partly for comfort and partly for safety. It's especially bad if you've got a 3-door as the doors themselves are bigger.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, What car have you got?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, The main issue is that for the majority, cars are no longer treasured items, so have become white goods, this is especially so for leased vehicles. If you don't care about your own car, why would you care about someone else's. I have neighbours whose brand new £30-40K cars are only ever cleaned when they get serviced.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the real issue is that it isn't a normal car park, with people just needing to say, put shopping in their cars - usually the boot. This is (presumably) a car park for skiiers and as such, should of necessity have larger spaces to cater for people lugging equipment. I understand that some people do park like d@@kheads and I welcome attendants giving parking assistance, but it sounds more like they are just trying to cram more people in as there isn't sufficient car parking provision. That is different; and it certainly isn't the fault of the individual driver. I think windofchange is right.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think if you can fully open a door that's sufficient space in a car park. Anything extra is just being precious. That's not to say carpark scratches don't annoy me but I tend to take the tool not jewel approach. I was seriously tempted last week to leave a big note simply saying "C**T" on the windscreen of some dick who had squeezed a big SUV in a space which had previously been occupied by a small car which didn't leave me enough room to open my driver's door.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Punto ( 5 door ) with scratches on the back, bumper and a dent on the quarter where something scratchy and denty ( I am assuming winter sports equipment of some kind - I said skis earlier, but it could as easily have been a snowboard, monoski, yooner etc.. ) was dropped against it in p5 @ PLJ. The car is 18 months old and I have just finished paying the finance.
The car next to me was a range rover evoke ( so I wanted to leave room for his doors too, as they are probably bigger than mine).
The other cars are a 2015 5 door duster ( with similar, but smaller scratches from PLJ, and with 9K still owing) and a 1987 defender, about which I am not so precious.

Sorry If I seem to have an old fashioned view about respecting my cars and those of the people parked around me, but these are not company cars, lease backs, rentals, or old bangers, I will want to sell / PX them at some point in the future and that will be easier if they do not look like you parked next to a driving range for a month.

My gripe is that the parking is clearly "at my own risk", but carpark guy ( and I'm sure he was only doing his job to the best of his ability) actively increased (completely unnecessarily) the risk of damage by insisting that I parked where neither I nor the car next to me could open the doors easily without damaging the next vehicle ( before you even consider the of loading winter sports equipment ), especially as the carparks were half empty, and there was really no need at all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
UK spaces are massive In comparison to French spaces in my experience - and they scrape and scratch with abandon - I've given up having the scratches done on our 1 year old car....
ski holidays
I reckon you were just unlucky and got a tosser of an attendant (let's face it he probably won't be appearing on Mastermind any time soon). I have parked in that very car park many times and not got any grief.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy