Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Ortisei, 5-12 March 17

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Returned Sunday after a week in Ortisei...

All in all a wonderful week. Positives: Short transfer from Innsbruck, about 1:25 out, 1:15 back. Spectacular scenery compared to France (first time elsewhere); fabulous hotel, (Adler) and a great week's skiing. The pistes were all man-made: there was a dusting of snow on night 1, but had no effect. All areas were open as far as I could see. The snow went from rock hard corduroy, to decent snow to slush as each day progressed, and dependent on aspect, but every day was skiable and enjoyable. Short queues in the main, but see below..

Less positive: Apres is very different! When you descend from the Alpi de Suisi to Ortisei, the ski vibe evaporates, so it's just another (very pretty) town. All the (many) 'huttes' served exactly the same things, for exactly the same Germans and Austrians! We lunched daily on the piste, and in not one place could we have a pizza! Not one! Two meals and 2 drinks was usually about 35E, which is better than France, I'd say. The lift infrastructure is tired in most places (2 seat chairs), but with a small amount of new 6 seaters too. Something I'd never seen before, was a mix of chairs and bubbles on the same cables to accomodate the many walkers. Looked really cool and odd at the same time!

The skiing is not demanding enough for thrusters, but was perfect for developing my timid wife's range and style. As a result, I'd say the 3V will really open up to her now, in a way they weren't in only January. Very cruisy reds (= blue in France in the main) and only 2 blacks I could find for me to play on.

We are both late starters (3rd year, 6th trip), and at 60, I can see this bit of the Dolomites being a 'knackered knees' ski venue in a few years! But not yet.

CG
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy