Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been watching a bit of the Freestyle Worlds this week. Sierra Nevada might be a perfectly functional ski area, but it sure ain't pretty! These champs certainly aren't selling it to me!

I dare say the bare patches and the brown snow doesn't help. I assume the snow colour is due to the sand/dust/desert thing as opposed to mud coming through?
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, sand dust desert? Are we on about Sierra Nevada in Spain? The terrain there is rocks all over. I've been in summer and the only comparison I can give, is that it's like skiing in a slate mine quarry. Very little grass but I'm not sure what you mean about sand/desert?
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dust blows over from Africa and coats the snow turning it a yellowy brown colour.

I can't remember where we were one week but it was somewhere in the Alps and the snow was a yellowy colour as it had been coated with dust blown over probably from the Sahara. There were quite a few photos of it on here at the time.

I can get the slate mine thing, I said to the OH that the town reminded me of a Welsh village.
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied it yonks ago. It's a bit weird skiing and looking at the Med in the distance. It's a good day (or 2) out if you're in the area, I wouldn't make a week long destination of it. We were staying with friends near Malaga.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here we are, this is what it's like. The website this is from confirms that it's Sierra Nevada and dust from the Sahara.

ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days; it's a great little resort! The brown "off piste" was somewhat disconcerting at first, I'll admit. But decent conditions underfoot and a decent uplift system too. I'll be going back in April for a day or two, really enjoyed it there.

The observatory and satellite dish are like something out of James Bond, and there's a few runs that make it feel like skiing on the moon. definitely really nice to do something different to "traditional" Alpine skiing though. 4 euros for a pint in resort was somewhat different to the French experience too....
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was in Andorra a week ago and it was like that but not nearly so bad - guides were indeed talking about Saharan sand.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I live 200 Km away from Sierra Nevada and I usually go there a couple of times every season. This is a rare phenomenon that it isn't usual. Normally the Sierra is nicer and more beautiful. It has not slopes between trees because of the high altitude. But thanks to it you can find good snow even in the late season and in spite of being in South Europe.

And, usually, the snow is white there Madeye-Smiley
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some of the riders at the Freestyle championships have been less than complementary about the FIS's decision to host an event at the Sierra Nevada at this time of year.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Some of the riders at the Freestyle championships have been less than complementary about the FIS's decision to host an event at the Sierra Nevada at this time of year.

Yeah, I saw James Woods was pretty scathing about the whole affair.

I'm hoping to go there for a couple of days in mid-April, which is sounding more and more optimistic as each (sunny) day goes by....
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dav wrote:
I was there a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days; it's a great little resort! The brown "off piste" was somewhat disconcerting at first, I'll admit. But decent conditions underfoot and a decent uplift system too. I'll be going back in April for a day or two, really enjoyed it there.

The observatory and satellite dish are like something out of James Bond, and there's a few runs that make it feel like skiing on the moon. definitely really nice to do something different to "traditional" Alpine skiing though. 4 euros for a pint in resort was somewhat different to the French experience too....

We went the other week and were lucky to get some snow for a day, was good the next day but melted so quickly. Enjoyed it but like others have said wouldnt go for longer than a couple of days. We commented on how bad it was going to be for the championships and were glad we werent going to be jumping or doing moguls in those conditions

The main thing I learned from skiing there was to wear suncream, my god did I get burnt in one afternoon.

The satalite dish was indeed pretty cool but the other thing we found there that Ive not seen at any resorts before was the sausage tree, this needs to be incorporated into the other typical skiing dishes. I think if it came with a fondue or a raclette it would be the greatest skiing meal ever

[/img]
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
Skied it yonks ago. It's a bit weird skiing and looking at the Med in the distance. It's a good day (or 2) out if you're in the area, I wouldn't make a week long destination of it. We were staying with friends near Malaga.

I was thinking of trying it out. Recent snow record looks a bit dodgy, but maybe that is just dodgy statistics. Am I right in thinking that weekdays (when lift pass is cheaper), are a better bet in season?

The bus from Granada is about 5 Euros each way and takes an hour. So I was hoping to avoid staying there, and maybe have a few nights in Granada.

Anyone here used the bus?

I would probably have to hire skis and boots, as a couple of days skiing is not worth the ski carriage costs.
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigtipper, as I understand it, SN was open at the start of last season before a lot of the major Alpine resorts were. I'm certainly hoping for an early season trip there myself in December for a couple of days, so I'll be paying close attention to the snow reports from November onwards.

I've not done the bus before, only driven as I have an apartment on the coast. The drive is wonderfully easy and the whole set-up for parking is really good. Everything that I've read about the resorts states that weekends get busy but weekdays are quiet; although I was there once on a public holiday and the lift queues and pistes were absolutely fine.

There's loads of ski hire shops in resort so no worries there. Accommodation in resort is definitely pretty expensive though, so it's worth staying off-site even if it does increase the journey time day by day.
latest report     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy