Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where's the best area to stay in Trysil?

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like Trysil next year at half term, along with half of Oslo. Don't know much about the resort and wondered about the best area of Trysil to stay in? We're all competent'ish skiers, so the Hoyfjellssenter doesn't look so good (that area being mainly green runs on the piste map). Any advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on your level. We've been three times and loved it. It's very heavy on drag lifts which we found a pain and you are right, the Hoyfjellssenter is a green paradise (great fun though). Definitely stay Touristcentre side if you are into more "serious" skiing. Having said that, we were only cut off from getting across to Touristcentre this time because I was nervous about one of the runs (36 only a blue) and one of the Tbars (T9 - green exit leading straight onto the tag end of a black!!!) so we ended up marooned on the Hoyfjellssenter side through circumstance. A decent skier would get across no problem though. Hardly any queues and the staff are all lovely. We stayed in both of the Radissons which are great (with Touristcentre being the best although a bit noisier). The bus transfer is a bit of a bun fight and make sure you have your tickets to hand. Oh and if you have the choice, definitely go half board so you can relax and not have to say "bloody hell, how much?!!!!" every time you go to pay for something.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bambionskiis, thanks. We'll look at the half board options - we usually self-cater. Elder daughter is into steep stuff, so we'll probably stay Touristcentre side - and we'll have a car, probably.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is so cool, I've only been to 2 resorts in 33 years and one of them was Trysil, so you're tapping into 50% of my knowledge.

I'd assume that competent'ish skiers will spend most of their time in neither resort area but on the Hogegga side of the mountain. There are 6 person express lifts to the top of the whole mountain from either start point, and then you work your way down to the lower Hogegga slopes or to the button lifts which take you up to the more challenging parts of the blacks. So all in all I'm not sure it makes much difference which you wake up in.

The time you would get cut off on the wrong side of the tracks is night skiing if that's an issue. There's far more variety at the Turistsenter side. There is a free bus between the two but you wouldn't believe the number of places it visits on the way (more likely we got on the wrong bus).

Half board is great value but be careful to note what is included and what isn't; the cost of what isn't is mind blowing.

Chatting to various people on lifts and in queues this half term, it seemed to me that the main reason for the crowds was not Norwegians but Swedes/Danes as Trysil is the nearest decent resort for Malmo/Copenhagen.
Someone from Oslo can pop up whenever they want and don't necessarily choose to do so when everyone else is there. But queues weren't an issue except when what I assume was the tail end of Doris closed the top lifts and compressed everyone onto the lower slopes.

I had a brilliant time, and I'm sure you will whichever centre you base yourself at. My advice would be to go by which hotel best meets your needs rather than which piste is where.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Penry, thanks for the information. I can see us spending quite a bit of time on Hogegga (it's gonna hurt...)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are there this Easter. If there is anything specific you want to know let me know and will try to find out for you, that is if you can wait that long before pressing buttons.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ster, no worries. Thanks. Flights will be booked. For the accommodation, we'll have a look but probably wait - it seems to come out in dribs and drabs.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby wrote:
@Penry, thanks for the information. I can see us spending quite a bit of time on Hogegga (it's gonna hurt...)

It's not as black as you might be used to; some steep and scratchy stretches linked by what would be considered nice rolling blue elsewhere. Except for the infamous 75, which was closed at the top when we were there, too dangerous apparently.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed half board at the Touristcentre Raddison last Easter and had a great time, there is a medium sized supermarket just across the carpark so with a good hotel breakfast and dinner we were tending to just get some stuff to make sandwiches for lunch along with some fruit and snacks for in pockets which kept the spending sensible.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ref half board at the radisson Touristecentre you can choose to eat in the bowling place as part of the package but it's extra to actually play. We raided the breakfast buffet each day (which is great) and took pastries and rolls for lunch so never actually paid for any food. We also used to have a jug of tap water on the table each evening so never paid for drinks either - preferring to have booze in the room - although the bars look great. Ref flights we booked (with SAS - who were great) in the May for the following February and were glad we did as the prices went through the roof the nearer we got (may he have been down to Brexit the following month though).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OOOH love Trysil, i would recommend hoyfellsenter. But just be careful how far over you stay. Comes out on run blue 13 which is lovely and you can ski back to all areas on small feeder pistes. Loads of lovely chalets. Turisenter is also lovely but smaller aparments rather than chalets. Any questions, just ask, been a few times
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bambionskiis, One thing I can't work out is how you get from the Radisson Blu to the høyfjellssenter ski school for 9 in the morning. If we went to Trysil again it would probably be to the høyfjellssenter side as there'll be a couple of beginners on the trip
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, odd they start the lessons at the same time the lifts open. But doesnt the ski school start from both sides?

Drive if you have a car otherwise isnt there the ski bus. First one leaves Turistsenter at 0800 and is meant to get to Hoyfjellssenter at 0840.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, Sorry i wasn't clear, I know how to get from the Turistsenter Radisson Blu to the Turistsenter Ski School - a 100yd schlep through the tunnel and onto the magic carpet and the meeting point is handily situated at the end - but I was wondering how easy it is to get to the Høyfjellssenter ski school from the Høyfjellssenter Radisson Blu.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah. I asked the ski school the same thing as we are staying that side, they said drive is easiest. Will you rent a car? I'll see if I can check on the walking logistics when we are there at Easter. Otherwise when I have had a question I've just rung up and asked.
snow report
No we'd take the bus from the airport, it was really convenient. Come to think of it we did get on a free bus that took us to both (and everywhere else in the local district) but it does detract from the ski in / ski out feature of the hotel if you can only ski out to somewhere you don't want to be at 9 o'clock.
ski holidays
The big ski school (same one as all over the mountain) at the Turistsenter certainly did all levels from never been on skis to the week long park and off piste session my 12 year old daughter did for big and small people. Is there any particular reason for the Høyfjellssenter ski school @Penry?
latest report
davkt wrote:
Is there any particular reason for the Høyfjellssenter ski school @Penry?

Just that it's next to more greens so that when the missus and daughter want to ski after their lessons, there's a much bigger variety of runs to play on. Both have taken to skiing like ducks to nuclear physics, due to lack of confidence and refusal to listen to any instruction respectively. My son and I would be happy anywhere that doesn't involve being super organised to get somewhere else by 9 o'clock.
latest report
That's a good question Perry and I have no idea. We didn't do lessons over the hoyfyellssenter side but I see the problem. Ski star are incredibly helpful so an email query would be answered very quickly - there has to be a solution. We were usually still having breakfast at 9am so to be at ski school for that time after a bus journey just wouldn't have worked for us. Loved you duck analogy btw.
snow conditions
@Penry, I'm sure the instructors will take them to whatever run is right for the lesson they are doing so just because you start at one side of the mountain doesn't mean you won't end up on the other side. Skistar wouldn't be running all the lessons from beginner to expert from the Turistsenter if there weren't enough easily accessible slopes there.
snow conditions
To clarify there are two ski schools once in turistcenter which is VERY accessible from Skihytta Knettsetra and hoyfellsenter. All easy to get to first thing as you just ski down and the ski school meets at the bootom of lift T2. This is also where the radisson blue is not to be confused with the cheaper radisson mountain resort on the other side of the mountain where the other ski school is and accomodation area Trysil Hoyfellsenter. This area is all greens, it is lovely but to get back to the turisenter you need to take a combination of runs. To get back to this side from turistcenter there is a new bubble car from skihytta, all doable for all abilities beginner to advanced.

If you are competent skiers do not stay over at hoyfellsenter as you will get fed up at always having to come over to the other side.
ski holidays
To clarify, both ski schools i think operate in the same way, they are just in different places. Ski star are fab and if you book before end of september for skis and lessons you usually get around 15% off, which is a great saving.
latest report
The problem with the Radisson Mountain Resort though is that it is below where the ski school meets up at the Hoyfjellsenter. Therefore, the only way to get up there is to either bus it or take a drag lift (T13) up. Penry is saying that the lessons start at 9am, which is when the lifts open.
ski holidays
Drag lift is ok, it is bound to be set up for ski school, thats where the majority of people will be staying.
ski holidays
Thanks, all. We'll probably go for the Touristcenter area because we'll be splitting our time between the blues and reds on the Touristcenter side and the blacks in the Hogegga area.
latest report
dobby wrote:
Thanks, all. We'll probably go for the Touristcenter area because we'll be splitting our time between the blues and reds on the Touristcenter side and the blacks in the Hogegga area.

A wise choice. I wish we had gone back there rather than the other side tbh. Having said that, Hoyfjellsenter is very good for beginners/confidence building.

Have a great time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy