Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Look NX 12 forward pressure

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got a link to a recent technical manual including these?

The leaflet that came with them isn't the best and the 2 ski shops I've taken them into came up with conflicting advice! I'm used to the ones with the arrow in the window and the yellow/black gauge etc but these have a slightly different system.

Where I think they should be/where they feel and look right doesn't correspond with what I think the leaflet is telling me.

Boot out photo below.

Boot in photo below, feels right, but leaflet seems to suggest the silver 'rod' should be further inside the grey plastic part?

If I adjust the heel piece so the distance between heel/toe is one 'notch' smaller then the boot still goes in, but the heel of the boot seems to move the binding further than normal. I might be wrong, but 2 ski techs giving differing opinions hasn't helped!

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The instructions with the binding are correct.

From the 16/17 Tech Manual

"PIC.6
Lock the boot in the binding.
The setting is correct if:
PIC.6.A
The backward pressure indicator is completely
inside the housing.
PIC.6.B
The backward pressure does not stand out of the track"

You need to shorten the binding to a length that, with the boot installed, the end of the indicator stud is slightly recessed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much for that.

Will sort them today and avoid a certain branch of a well known ski shop!

Think I also need to learn to trust the instructions supplied!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Jon

Dont suppose you could post PIC.6.A and 6.B as the pictures in the "user manual" do not correspond exactly to what is in front of me. On my brand new binding the backward pressure indicator is housed in two different coloured plastics, the mid grey rotating lock part for adjusting the heel position and a 4mm wide very dark grey/black U shaped part that is open upwards. Just as shown in mattg4321's photos. This U shape part is not shown in the user manual illustrations.

When the binding is adjusted as instructed for boot length and the boot is locked in the binding the backward pressure indicator is recessed inside the U shape but because this is open upwards it is still clearly visible - it is about 2mm inside the black U shape but about 2mm outside the mid gray plastic. To my (perhaps pedantic) mind it is not clear that this is "completely inside the housing".

If the binding is set any smaller the boot will not enter the binding at all so there appears to be no possibility of getting the pressure indicator actually inside the mid grey part of the housing.

Many thanks as always
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stiffdrink, I can't copy the pics from the pdf manual but if you PM me your email address I'll send you the complete manual.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Following up on this, the OP shows a manual that's older than the binding he's working on. Anyone have a confident answer about where the forward pressure indicator "pin" should be set?

I recently purchased skis with Look SPX 12 Dual WTR bindings that match the original poster's NX 12's design. When I set them within the boot range perfectly (boot size 305, toe @ 308, heel @ 304), the pin is flush with the black "U" directly behind the 'adjustment lever'.

The next adjustment smaller, brings the pin slightly inside the "U".
The next adjustment even smaller, too tight. Boot won't lock in.

Seems to me the original poster's 3rd picture with the pin flush to the "U" is correct, seeing as how I can only go one possible adjustment "tighter"...

Anyone able to confirm?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JimbotheBull, on your binding set the toe to give the fore/aft position of the boot where you want it on the ski, usually boot line over mounting line. Ignore the heel length scale as half of the time it's not accurate. Position the heel so that the end of the pin is inside the U when the boot is installed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Look/Rossi bindings do like a bit of forward pressure eh wink Never feels right stepping into them, but they work really well
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the responses.

To be 100% on this, with the boot in, set right over center line on ski, my binding matches this:

That pin can only possibly be another 2mm recessed with a tighter adjustment (the only tighter adjustment before the boot won't fit), but that surely doesn't seem like a logically engineered design. Most bindings suggest their indicator fall in the middle of the "5 lines" in the window a la Rossi Axial:

I know these forward pressure indicators aren't perfectly accurate, but I sure as hell want these bindings to pop when I need out, not when I'm charging hard east coast crud.

@spyderjon You're saying go another notch forward on the heel, recessing the pin that extra millimeter or so??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm still a bit unclear on this too. The first image I posted in the OP seems to suggest that the pin needs to go right inside the housing.

However page 17 here http://techtraining.rossignol.com/manual/LOOK%20BINDING%20TECH%20MANUAL%202017-18.pdf seems to show the pin being ok anywhere just inside the housing BUT ALSO ok within the u shaped piece outside the housing.

The image I posted in the OP shows the pin being within the u shaped piece as NOT ok. The image I posted was the information that came with the skis/bindings from new.

Why don't they make it crystal clear!!!

Jimbo you said that my OP image was from an old manual? But that was what came with the skis. However I agree with you that from previous experience with other bindings, to get the pin right inside the housing seems a bit too tight. Within the u shaped section 'feels' correct. However the info that came with the bindings says otherwise
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally, I think flush with the black "U" is the right spot, if accurate (which my bindings are 2018, brand new).

Intentionally too loose puts the pin close to the spot without a boot in. And as I've mentioned, there is only one more adjustment tighter before the boot no longer will physically fit into the binding.

I'm still awaiting a definitive answer, but I'm going to set it flush with the black plastic "U" and pray these bindings don't pop early.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I think the top picture in my OP is wrong. Rossi cocked up and they changed it in the new 2018 manual and whats shown on page 17 here is correct http://techtraining.rossignol.com/manual/LOOK%20BINDING%20TECH%20MANUAL%202017-18.pdf

Would be good to hear opinions on this before I go ski on them the week after next though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MattG -

Reading through the tech manual, it looks like my 305mm boots should be set toe 300, heel 304. Forward pressure pin should be flush or recessed with the black "U".

Not terribly intuitive, but I'm satisfied with this as an answer. @KenX is right about the heavy pressure Look wants.

I'm going to go with the slightly recessed, heavy pressure, and lower the din from 8 to 7.

Thanks all, Jimbo
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimbotheBull wrote:
MattG -

Reading through the tech manual, it looks like my 305mm boots should be set toe 300, heel 304. Forward pressure pin should be flush or recessed with the black "U".

Not terribly intuitive, but I'm satisfied with this as an answer. @KenX is right about the heavy pressure Look wants.

I'm going to go with the slightly recessed, heavy pressure, and lower the din from 8 to 7.

Thanks all, Jimbo

That's totally the WRONG thing to do. You can set your toe position anywhere you want on the rail. The sole length markings are just a guide to give an approximate position for were your mid sole line on the boot will align with the mounting line on the ski. You can decide whether you want to be in front of the line, on it or a bit behind it - which will vary how the ski performs. Once you've put the toe were you want the boot to be positioning on the ski you then adjust the heel position until the forward pressure is correct. And upping the forward pressure and lowering the din does not balance out the release forces equation as there are other factors at play. And saying the all Looks need heavy forward pressure is not correct as the heel binding vertical pivot mechanism is quite different between the different models as is the spring rating of the forward pressure spring in the underside of the heel base.

I've torque tested a lot of these bindings (both the SPX and NX) and they're accurate with the stud within the U. Slightly recessing an SPX gives too much forward pressure IMO. I've stated many times on this forum never take at face value what a ski industry manufacturer tells you (particularly a French one).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My 364mm boots should be set to toe 364 heel 360 according to the manual. This places the forward pressure pin just inside the 'u' when the boot is inserted (but not completely recessed inside)

Think I'm going to go with that.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
JimbotheBull wrote:
MattG -

Thanks all, Jimbo

That's totally the WRONG thing to do. You can set your toe position anywhere you want on the rail. The sole length markings are just a guide to give an approximate position for were your mid sole line on the boot will align with the mounting line on the ski. You can decide whether you want to be in front of the line, on it or a bit behind it - which will vary how the ski performs. Once you've put the toe were you want the boot to be positioning on the ski you then adjust the heel position until the forward pressure is correct. And upping the forward pressure and lowering the din does not balance out the release forces equation as there are other factors at play. And saying the all Looks need heavy forward pressure is not correct as the heel binding vertical pivot mechanism is quite different between the different models as is the spring rating of the forward pressure spring in the underside of the heel base.

I've torque tested a lot of these bindings (both the SPX and NX) and they're accurate with the stud within the U. Slightly recessing an SPX gives too much forward pressure IMO. I've stated many times on this forum never take at face value what a ski industry manufacturer tells you (particularly a French one).

Thanks Jon. It seems and feels right to me that the stud should be within the 'u'.

It seems like Rossi made a mistake with the manual sent out with the skis/bindings last year that has now been rectified with this years manual?
snow report
@spyderjon, my bad, was assuming all Look/Rossis were the same regarding forward pressure, I've got 2 pairs of the Axial 2 & 3 and the boot feels wedged into the binding compared to say a Salomon in order to achieve the correct reading.......
latest report
The Axial 2 & 3 are essentially the same design with the release spring in the lever whereas the NX has it's release spring in the heel housing.

If you want to feel a binding with a lot of forward pressure try clicking in to a Jester/Griffon/Duke/Baron.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
JimbotheBull wrote:
MattG -

Thanks all, Jimbo

@SpyderJon -

Based on what you're saying now, the forward pressure pin should be fairly flush with the black plastic "U" housing that MattG and I have both posted multiple times. (See his third picture in the OP, first picture in my earlier post). When I set the binding to make that "flush" pin, it feels right, but the tech manual says to go another notch tighter on the heel.

As I've mentioned, I can get the pin recessed to about halfway into the "U" and still click the boot in, but literally cannot adjust another rail notch tighter after that because the boot won't fit. Are you telling me the perfect forward pressure on this model binding is the tightest setting before the boot won't fit?

This has nothing to do with the toe piece, it's already aligned to center the boot over the ski. Only discussing forward pressure setting. Thanks guys.
ski holidays
JimbotheBull wrote:
.....As I've mentioned, I can get the pin recessed to about halfway into the "U" and still click the boot in, but literally cannot adjust another rail notch tighter after that because the boot won't fit. Are you telling me the perfect forward pressure on this model binding is the tightest setting before the boot won't fit?

I'm telling you that the binding tests accurately with the end of the stud within the U, including flush with the end of the U.

That may or may not be the shortest setting before the boot won't fit in as that would depend upon the specific sole length of the boot compared to the vague boot sole length 'range' printed on the toe & heel tracks. Some boot lengths might go one more click some may not, depending on were they are withing the indicated range.

I reckon that on at least half of the boots I set-up on this type of rail system end up with a mis-match between the actual sole length of the boot versus the length stated on the rail when the foreward pressure is correctly set.

Any rail system that has boot sole lengths printed on the heel scale is a poor design as it's very misleading. Far better to have either A,B,C lines or 1,2,3 lines etc as a reference as that forces the user to use the forward pressure indicator correctly instread of just blindly using the sole length scale.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy