Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

May Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I am taking a week off in mid May to look after my son (three and a half) to cover childcare while his granny goes on holiday - I'm thinking of taking him for his first proper ski trip somewhere in Europe. The winter season will be finished for at least a couple of weeks by then so it's pretty tricky (who couldn't my mum go on holiday in April!). Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm perfectly happy to take on board recommendations along the lines of "don't do it you fool!" Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't do it you fool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would normally say 'get high' but not sure you want to take a young'un on a first trip when it could be crap. Take him next spring when conditions should be a bit better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Presumably the child would need instruction - so you would be skiing the limited terrain by yourself... for a week.

I think you'd be better half doing something else.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll probably do something else thanks for the advice Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Southern lapland resorts in Sweden close 1st May. The more northenly ones like Bjorkliden and Riksgransen should be open, but it looks like the children's lessons at Bjorkliden end on 7th May. Private lessons should be available. It could be lovely up there at that time of year, but it's quite a trek with a small child. You'd need to change at Stockholm probably for a flight to Kiruna, then take the train or hire car for a couple of hours.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Henwc,

Why not try one of the Glaciers in Austria?

Conditions should be excellent in May. Very Happy

I would recommend Stubai, which looks like it has an excellent beginners area. Others may be able to comment on lessons for littleuns, I'm sure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-10-21 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely recommend Stubai at that time.

Morning of skiing. Afternoon at village level playing in the sun.

Some hotels have pools too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alps that time of year will be lovely.
Some years ago I went to Hintertux during the end of May half term and we had fresh snow almost every day.
Saying that, you have to think about practicalities and the lifts would be difficult with one so young that hasn't skied. A lot of lifts on glaciers are T bars.
If it is still open in May, Les 2 Alpes would be good for your youngster as they have a train access to the top so you wouldn't need to use any surface lifts on the slopes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the Austria suggestions, I have only ever summer skied on the glacier at Saas Fee which is not great for beginners all red runs with an unavoidable narrow red on the way in. I was concerned that the terrain on all the glaciers would be similar.

I have had limited training as an instructor so I'm ok with the technical side of teaching him. I'm still considering paying for lessons though.

Stubai sounds promising - am I right in thinking that its pretty accessible by bus from Innsbruck?

I was looking at the kinder hotel at Hintertux too has anyone stayed there?

I'll have another look but if it doesn't work out I can always save the cash and spend it on a week next season
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Henwc, we've skied Zermat the week of the first May Bank Holiday. Conditiins were fine. Weather was changeable: went from Spring with blue skies and sunshine to winter with blizzards and back again.
But, with a three and half year old you wont get much skiing. At that age they ski a bit, but want to play more. You will get expert at toboganing, making snowmen, snowball fights and finding ice cream outlets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Henwc wrote:
Stubai sounds promising - am I right in thinking that its pretty accessible by bus from Innsbruck?

I was looking at the kinder hotel at Hintertux too has anyone stayed there?

I'll have another look but if it doesn't work out I can always save the cash and spend it on a week next season

Stubai is around 45 mins.

I have stayed in that hotel in Tux before it was a Kinder. However, the nursery area in Hintertux at that time of year is pretty hard to get to. Last time I had to do it with a friend, it involved lift to the top and then a piste basher ride. Once there there's no hut you can nip into for a warm up etc. Can't really recommend it. Stubai is definitely better suited.

One thing's for sure, you'll be all alone because not many people bother at that time other than race teams and instructor courses. More atmosphere on the Moon.

Save the cash maybe but also think about just doing 3-4 days and see. Kids of that age get knackered towards the end of a whole week anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the really useful advice on Hintertux I had no idea what it was like (sounds similar to Saas Fee in summer) - hut is a must given how cold it can get up there all year round

I will look at Stubai in more detail although it's looking more like saving the cash at this stage

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will also take a look at Zermatt with the Swiss transfer pass thanks
snow report
Centre Parks in Holland has a proper indoor snowdome! A few lessons for the rugrat and a ton of other stuff to do. Seems to be about half the price of Centre Parks in UK.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Alps that time of year will be lovely.
Saying that, you have to think about practicalities and the lifts would be difficult with one so young that hasn't skied. A lot of lifts on glaciers are T bars.
If it is still open in May, Les 2 Alpes would be good for your youngster as they have a train access to the top so you wouldn't need to use any surface lifts on the slopes.

I don't think Les 2 is opening until 24th June and not sure what they have for such small kids. Tignes also looks to be opening at about the same time for summer skiing.
snow conditions
Hintertux is supposed to be open too. I will be there in May and will probably ski a couple of days, weather permitting. My youngest is 5 so will get her lessons but she can ski blues already. Rest of the time we will explore the valley and region.

I have skied early season at Solden with my kids (youngest was 3 at that time) and just arranged private lessons in the morning. It just meant short ski days and pool/other activity in the afternoon. Smile

I think you just have to change your perspective with the kids (especially when it's out of season) and think it's a ski plus other activities and be happy with that. Your 3 year old probably wo t be able to ski for more than a couple of hours anyway.
latest report
Another option in Northern Sweden is Dundret. Small resort south of Kiruna where you would have to fly into. Hire a car and about 90 minutes drive south. It usually closes in May, so you might need to check if they are open when you want to travel. Accommodation close to the pistes, good beginner area. Just tough to get to from the UK

http://www.dundret.se/skidakning/alpint/
latest report
Riksgrensen.

All the other options are compromises.
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 11-10-21 21:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Riksgransen would be a good option as a couple of people have suggested. There are a lot of drags s there though.

We've found flying into Narvick is cheaper that Kiruna.
ski holidays
TheGeneralist,

I'm puzzled.

What would be a compromise about a large glacier area, with gentle beginners slopes & (covered) magic carpets, like Stubai?

Puzzled Puzzled

Can you explain further, please?
snow conditions

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 11-10-21 21:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@anarski, Thanks for the great teaching tips

Thanks all for the other advice - does anyone know the name of the village at the base of Stubai is it Mutterbergalm?
ski holidays
Henwc wrote:
@anarski, Thanks for the great teaching tips

Thanks all for the other advice - does anyone know the name of the village at the base of Stubai is it Mutterbergalm?

Mutterberger-Alm
ski holidays
^Not really a village though! Most will want to stay in Neustift, a few km down the valley.
ski holidays
@TheGeneralist, Riksgransen looks great. The Scandinavia Big Mountain Championships is on while I was thinking of going so I guess this probably rules it out - I'll keep it in mind for future trips though thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were at Riksgransen last year during the Big Mountain Championships, it was not busy at all. Indeed whilst the competition was on the slopes were deserted. Very few people skiing the pistes whilst we were there, though the prices for accommodation was a little bit more.

And if you were worried about that you could go and ski Björkliden which is about 40 km east on the day of the competition. Same lift ticket and easy to drive to.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
^Not really a village though! Most will want to stay in Neustift, a few km down the valley.

Yep, Neustift is where we stayed the only time I've been ~Christmas 2003!
snow conditions
Zermatt, Switzerland.

Flat glacier, easy to get to, and plenty of other stuff to do in the afternoon and evening.

No other glacier town open in May offers so many options.
snow conditions
Thanks - does the route up to the glacier in Zermatt start with the Furi lift?
latest report
Quote:
Riksgrensen (or even Riksgransen??...). All the other options are compromises.
Having been to Riksgransen and Stubai (plus about 8 other alpine glaciers) in May-October, I would strongly disagree with the above - and agree with the plus-points of Stubai highlighted by Bergmeister. There's every chance of decent snow conditions on the glacier and lovely weather to boot.

While we really enjoyed Riksgransen, it has about 15km of piste at best; most lifts are draglifts; prices/accommodation are sky high; and there's nothing there in terms of a ski resort.

I'd definitely go for Stubai - and stay down the valley in the gorgeous village of Neustift.
snow report
Hi all thanks for all the advice and info - there are a few good options - unfortunately when I discussed actually booking something my OH she wasn't that keen on the trip going ahead - I will keep note of all the suggestions for future trips - also does anyone know if there is a kinder hotel in Neustift? I couldn't find one in Zermatt but they seem to be an Austrian/German thing
Thanks
snow conditions
@Henwc, late reply as I've come to this thread digging for info on Riksgransen where I'm off shortly. However, I recommend you look at Kaprun/Zell (in April/May you'll likely be skiing exclusivey at kaprun but could stay in either place). There is a kinder hotel in Zell and the area has way more off-piste activities than anywhere else I see mentioned in this thread (having just been with a 2-year old I know how important these are with young ones!). The new Tauern Spa in Kaprun is fantastic.
latest report
@Deibitto, I presume you mean skiing at the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (that will be spelt incorrectly)? Can't see the Maiskogel in Kaprun being in nick then, nor most of Zell (though, to be fair, I've never been except in late January).

Recently out in Mayrhofen and asking locals about Hintertux glacier in May or even later and was told that it's usually very useable for skis or boards. The top bits are all pretty wide nice easy-ish reds, and I fancy it as part of somewhere quiet and open when I finally get my ski/board legs back. The bus from Mayrhofen runs all year they say (I haven't checked), so a morning on Tux in the sun and an afternoon resting somewhere in the sunny mountains or the town mit Bier .... Sounds awful rehab wink - but not this May Sad
ski holidays
@Grizzler, exactly what I plan to do last week of May! Maybe some biking,swimming or cycling in the PM. I understand in the summer it's only 3 or 4 runs open but I am hoping they have a good May and some more is still open May/June. Locals said season pass lasts until end of May at Hintertux.
latest report
I have been to Hintertux at the end of May three times, had fresh snow twice. Don't remember stopping before late afternoon.

A fair bit of the pistes are reserved for race training at that time of year, probably a smaller proportion of the available area than at Tignes though
ski holidays
@rjs, how far down the mountain could you go?
snow report
@Bennyboy1, Down to the Tuxer-ferner-haus. There was snow below this but the runs were incomplete.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy