Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation - ski for Japan

Poster: A snowHead
For my other half.

5' nothing. Ex-corporate slalom racer in Japan (she is f . . . airly good).

Skis very light on her feet but with quite an old fashioned technique. Upper body barely moves. Uses Blizzard Black Pearl off piste in Europe (166). Prefers a stiffer ski (no chortling at the back) and the piste but she can ski anything.

The choice is from: Armada, Head, Volkl, Line, Fischer, K2, 4Front, Rossi, Elan. I was thinking of Volkl 98.

Any any views on Line Mordecai also welcome (or other options from above). 5'11" heavy! pretty good skier
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She'll hate the Mordecai if she skis like a racer (I hated and don't ski like a racer for that matter Laughing)

Frankly from that list and for Japan you should go for the Völkl Bash 116 W. But the Head Kore 105 or Rossi Soul 7 would also work well.

I don't know anything about 4FRNT's women's skis, though the EHPs are one of the most special skis any company has made, ever.

Based on my bf's experience, I'd throw the Moment Bella in to the mix. She also prefers stiffer skis Völkl Kenja etc), but lately has taken to using the Bella for everything. 108mm underfoot, solid flex, tip+tail rocker and camber underfoot.

BTW what's an ex-corporate racer Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mordecai are for me!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Japan, Companies aka Corporations have ski teams and race against other Companies aka Corporations, teams. If a person used to do that but no longer does, they would be described as an ex-coporate slalom racer. If slalom was their race, as opposed to downhill etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski wrote:
For my other half.

5' nothing. Ex-corporate slalom racer in Japan (she is f . . . airly good).

Skis very light on her feet but with quite an old fashioned technique. Upper body barely moves. Uses Blizzard Black Pearl off piste in Europe (166). Prefers a stiffer ski (no chortling at the back) and the piste but she can ski anything.

The choice is from: Armada, Head, Volkl, Line, Fischer, K2, 4Front, Rossi, Elan. I was thinking of Volkl 98.

Any any views on Line Mordecai also welcome (or other options from above). 5'11" heavy! pretty good skier

if you are in Niseko, plenty of DPS to rent at Rythmn Sports - more so than anywhere else I have ever seen. I would check out the Nina 99s and Yvette 112 - the carbon makes them reasonably stiff - but you shouldn't need that in Japan.

New Head Kore gets amazing reviews everywhere and sound s v trad - 105 for Niseko?

No one complains about the new Rossignol HD s , seem stiffer than the orginal. Lots of pop and rocker for the pow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.niseko-skihire.com/deluxe/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski wrote:
In Japan, Companies aka Corporations have ski teams and race against other Companies aka Corporations, teams. If a person used to do that but no longer does, they would be described as an ex-coporate slalom racer. If slalom was their race, as opposed to downhill etc.

I would let her pick then!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duplicate

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 24-10-17 20:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Faction Supertonic 169cm
Whitedot Director 171cm
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get some J's............... They're Invisible...................

The Invisible J Whipit Ski from J skis
https://vimeo.com/174825898
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snore
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999,

Nick doesn't say quite but she sounds athletic as well as petite. I seriously doubt that she needs anything as wide underfoot as 116mm to float! I reckon at that width she would be giving up edge to edge quickness unnecessarily. I tend to agree with @Nickski, that something around 100mm would be ideal.

My son (14 last season) was a bit taller but light and found that his 96mm skis floated like boats at his weight.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
@clarky999,

Nick doesn't say quite but she sounds athletic as well as petite. I seriously doubt that she needs anything as wide underfoot as 116mm to float! I reckon at that width she would be giving up edge to edge quickness unnecessarily. I tend to agree with @Nickski, that something around 100mm would be ideal.

My son (14 last season) was a bit taller but light and found that his 96mm skis floated like boats at his weight.

It's absolutely nothing about need, and not about float - all about the shape to surf and pivot. Edge to edge quickness is the last thing to worry about when the goal is to use the base of the ski like one big edge, boat-hull/surfboard style. But Amy Marwick (http://www.prestigemountainchalets.com/yoyosno-ski-yoga-retreats/) BASI L4 ISTD instructor and British Freeride coach (and also small/athletic) and I skied the mens and womens version of that ski together at the UK industry test last season and were both impressed - so if the OP's wife is a good skier I'm very sure she'd enjoy them too, and hence the recommendation!

At ~100mm only the Salomon QST99 has the right sort of shape for proper powder, pretty much everything else is just a fattened up piste ski and you lose all the fabulous looseness and pivotability (which makes the tight trees in Japan far more enjoyable).

I honestly don't understand the approach of stay as narrow as you can and go just wide enough to have enough float though. In Japan it should be the opposite: start as fat as you can and go just narrow enough for a bit of versatility. Trying to go as narrow as you can just means you end up with a jack of no trades that's too wide for high performance carving and the wrong shape for high performance powder surfing, even if it does have 'enough float'. No upside. IMO/IME anyway!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nickski, for you, while I'm biased, I had an absolute ball on my Down TD125s in Japan last season and can't recommend them highly enough: http://www.downskis.com/shop/throwdown-125-2017

Other than that, the (new! not the old) Blizzard Spurs are about the best powder ski I've had the pleasure of using. Not cheap though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:

At ~100mm only the Salomon QST99 has the right sort of shape for proper powder, pretty much everything else is just a fattened up piste ski and you lose all the fabulous looseness and pivotability (which makes the tight trees in Japan far more enjoyable).

I honestly don't understand the approach of stay as narrow as you can and go just wide enough to have enough float though. In Japan it should be the opposite: start as fat as you can and go just narrow enough for a bit of versatility. Trying to go as narrow as you can just means you end up with a jack of no trades that's too wide for high performance carving and the wrong shape for high performance powder surfing, even if it does have 'enough float'. No upside. IMO/IME anyway!

Obviously I agree wth the sentiment. I'm in a very different bit of the user spectrum from light and nimble but I was seriously expressed by the Head Kore, The QST 99 was ok but a bit meh by comparison. Light skis in the 105-112ish band would seem to be good candidates for the OP.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I liked the Kore 105 and 117 too; don't remember much about the 93 now. I found the QST fun in the same sort of way the Soul 7 is, but narrower. Definitely not a charger though, and can imagine someone bigger than I would overpower them very quickly. Off the top of my head I can't think of another <100mm ski with that sort of sidecut/taper/rocker profile though?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I liked the Kore 105 and 117 too; don't remember much about the 93 now. I found the QST fun in the same sort of way the Soul 7 is, but narrower. Definitely not a charger though, and can imagine someone bigger than I would overpower them very quickly. Off the top of my head I can't think of another <100mm ski with that sort of sidecut/taper/rocker profile though?

What did you think about the Kore 105 re length ? its either 180 or 189 - I'm 186 but I ve read it skis very long ?
snow conditions
@mishmash, skied both and at 175cm and 70kg I definitely prefer the 189, and wouldn't say it skis longer than others in that class (actually given how light weight it is I'd say it's very easy to throw around); but if you're spending much time in the park/spinning 180 may be more suitable.
ski holidays
Quote:

That just isn't true
so my son was actually on a pair of Rossi Saffron 7s (yes womens skis) bought from @mishmash, funnily enough. They have a full rocker and will pivot very easily. They certainly aren't fattened up piste skis. Indeed he's actually going to be on something more like a fattened piste ski this year because although he loved them off piste he found them a bit too loose and unresponsive on piste.

If you only want the ski for powder skiing in the trees then your comments stand - go fat as you like. My point was really that if you are small and light you can get a bit more versatility without giving up real world performance in the trees.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

That just isn't true
so my son was actually on a pair of Rossi Saffron 7s (yes womens skis) bought from @mishmash, funnily enough. They have a full rocker and will pivot very easily. They certainly aren't fattened up piste skis. Indeed he's actually going to be on something more like a fattened piste ski this year because although he loved them off piste he found them a bit too loose and unresponsive on piste.

If you only want the ski for powder skiing in the trees then your comments stand - go fat as you like. My point was really that if you are small and light you can get a bit more versatility without giving up real world performance in the trees.

Junior Mantras?

Glad you got some (unintended...) use out of them !!

Confused
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

That just isn't true

Well we're both wrong here then wink Though I did say off the top of my head - and 90+% of 80-100mm skis ARE fattened up piste shapes and optimised for hard snow (which makes sense!).

The Saffron was camber underfoot/rockered tips, but doesn't exist anymore - though the replacement Sky 7 would be another good option (and is v like the QST).

But the point here is the OP is asking for a powder ski for Japan - there's no need to compromise powder performance for a bit more versatility. It's like putting big tyres on a normal bike for a lift-served DH trip to Whistler. Might be too light to 'need' the full travel suspension of a DH bike, but it certainly won't feel the same!
snow report
@clarky999,
because no one skis any pistes in Japan?
Very Happy

Seriously though I do take the point that on a trip to Japan you might want to just focus on powder tree skiing performance.
snow report
Quote:

Junior Mantras?

Glad you got some (unintended...) use out of them !!

Definitely got some use, he skied well on them. His sister will be on them this year (will be 13 this season). I think she'll love them - her technique is a bit less developed but she's very natural.

Actually bought lightly used dynastar powertrack 89 in 172 for the boy
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/preview-2014-2015-dynastar-powertrack-89
(despite what the link says 2016-17 model)
Which I think is a bit mantra-ish - stiff, proper camber underfoot with a big shovel.
Think they will help him push his technique a bit more on piste and still let him play all over the mountain
snow report
Could bring her Black Pearl, it's OK for most of tree runs, sidecountry.
If get a deep fresh powder with bluebird, rent a pair.
Or, go with a guide into backcountry, just rent, maybe need the frame binding for AT.

If for new gear, 100mm is good enough, even for cat skiing.
I had 6 days with Rossignol test skis last March at Tignes, lighter, others were same with former version.

My own choice is AT frame binding with 100mm skis for Hokkaido.
If go to Nagano, different, you have to check if offpiste is forbidden at that ski resort.
ski holidays
Chuck Olbery's 2 yen

https://www.hokkaidopowderguides.biz/2017/11/06/what-ski-width-is-best-for-hokkaido/
latest report
Been back through the comments and reread Chuck's piece and it got me to thinking

If you're a relative novice to skiing the combination of powder and trees in moderately graded terrain found over the majority of Hokkaido and plenty of Honshu too, then skiing on a modern design - rocker, reverse camber, wide waist width - will certainly expedite your learning experience. And increase your enjoyment.

The shape and width of the skis will allow you to ski closer to the snow surface. There will be less resistance from the powder so it will be easier to pivot your skis for direction change. And you can take a less direct path down the slope because the float from the skis will maintain a quick enough speed on snow even in flatter terrain.

The downside is unless the snow is super light and unconsolidated you'll do well to get the immersion you see in the ski movies.

For those who are comfortable skiing the combination of powder and trees in moderately graded terrain, then a wider platform will help in landing airs; sending the skis sideways to get caked; riding switch; and racking up some serious vertical through the ski day.

From a personal perspective I spend time on and off-piste during the ski day and look for a ski which performs well in all conditions. The elusive 'Quiver of One'.

After much experimentation and many lessons I've chosen a less than my height, centre mounted, twin tip ski which falls into what would be described as a classic twin tip profile

110-118 in the nose
80-90 mm in the waist

This allows me to ski the park (not that often), the piste, the bumps (not that often), the trees, the steeps, and the powder.

On a narrower platform I ski lower in the snowpack and I get to enjoy the immersive feeling of skiing in the powder more often than not.

And with the vertical on Hokkaido being significantly less compared with Europe I want to savour each turn and each run rather than rack up high speed powder laps.

That's my 2 yen worth Smile
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, I'd say that sums it up pretty well!
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Thanks

could you help further by giving an idea of your physical stats ? (i.e. this is interesting but I'm at 186cm and ~95kgs so should I be looking at 90-100cm for "your" equivalence) ?
snow report
mishmash wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Thanks

could you help further by giving an idea of your physical stats ? (i.e. this is interesting but I'm at 186cm and ~95kgs so should I be looking at 90-100cm for "your" equivalence) ?

Snap Wink

I'm 188cm and 95kg.

Skiing on 176cm Majesty Local Hero at the moment (116-82-111)

My previous and next skis are similar. So been skiing this type & size of ski for 5 winters.

And not only on Hokkaido.

Wales

http://youtube.com/v/djSmkFwe8w0

Georgia

http://youtube.com/v/Cd9oFhlVD6g

Italy

http://youtube.com/v/GjnHUzOHGbo

http://youtube.com/v/nIe7cIFofPg
ski holidays
Wow ! Thanks - I recently skied on some 178 95s that felt like I was on chopsticks ! (but not in Pow..)
snow report
Pleasure.
It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
snow conditions
Big skis, big fun.

Getting it done at Kiroro

The Last Great Snow Ninjas from benny Schmitt
https://vimeo.com/241879031
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy