Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceiver battery life

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have a link to when batteries should be replaced?

Currently replace batteries when they show 50% usage. Any info would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stewart woodward, Since high quality AA or AAA batteries can be bought for around 50p each, you should always carry spares. Also, never use rechargeable batteries.

The usual recommendations are 40-50% for replacement, but you need to check every time you turn the transceiver on.

Try this link for percentage information: http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/batteries.asp
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I buy a large pack of aaa's (not lithium) at the start of the season. Switch it on when I put it on even if I've got an hours drive to the slopes. Only switch it off when I'm back at the car. Swap them out at 50%. Better safe than sorry.
PS many/most transceivers can not accurately read the % remaining in a lithium battery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
50% for me too. I did an indoor trial, once it got to 50%. Left it on for a day 35%, next day virtually exhausted. Yet with new batteries it goes down a % a day through the 90s and 80s.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I change them at 60%. Batteries take ages to go flat if on transmit, so you can be lulled into a false sense of security on battery life. They lose charge very quickly on search, which is why I change them before 50%.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, thanks for the link.

We check transceivers daily/weekly and as stated change at 50%. Also carry spare batteries.

We have over 60 transceivers so just wanted to confirm that we are changing the batteries frequently enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you are using Mammut Pulse there is a whole host of info here : http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com/2016/12/batteries-for-pulse-barrvyox-element.html regarding battery type etc. showing that some batteries may not perform consistently in an avalanche impact.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, why never use rechargeable?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Transceivers estimate the the charge renaming based on the standard decay profile of Alkaline batteries. Rechargeable and Lithium batteries tend to report full charge for almost the entire life, then fall to zero very quickly. As far as I am aware only the Mammut Barryvox Pulse can use lithium batteries, but you must use brand new ones every time, so that it can estimate life correctly. My Barryvox reports a 5% drop per day on Lithium batteries for a 10 - 12 hour day.

Excellent explanation here : http://www.simonabrahams.com/blog/2015/3/25/batteries-for-avalanche-beacons

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 6-03-17 13:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stewart woodward, some useful stuff coming out here thanks. I'll copy the links to the sticky in the off piste section. It's good to know the source of important information, especially when passing it on to others.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict, thanks, didn't know that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting and helpful discussion. I have a Pieps DSP which I find tends to last for a full 6 day week, but not much more. So, probably only around 50 hours of transmit before getting down to % levels that I am not comfortable with (less than 50%). I had not been aware of the reserve buffer referenced in one of the links, but will stick with 50%.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@PowderAdict, why never use rechargeable?

Another thing is, NiCd and NiMH batteries, which are still more or less standard rechargeable batteries in AA or AAA type batteries don't stand cold all that well. Even though transceiver are worn under shell and sort of close to body, they still operate in temperature ranges, that are not best for NiCd/NiMH batteries to achieve long life.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
@stewart woodward, some useful stuff coming out here thanks. I'll copy the links to the sticky in the off piste section. It's good to know the source of important information, especially when passing it on to others.

Good to see a sensible discussion wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@PowderAdict, thanks, didn't know that.

Ditto.
ski holidays
At UCPA in Val D'Isere, they said if your battery drops below 60% it's time to change it.
ski holidays
Slightly off topic but don't use Costco batteries. We bought a large pack due to so many kids toys, but they don't seem to last well if unused. This has resulted in the batteries leaking and dumping all sorts of crystals all over the contacts. This looks like it has screwed up one of our transceivers and a couple of Wii remotes Sad
snow report
Check out Tadiran Lithium ion rechargeable batteries. Industrial grade. We use them for RC car racing controllers, but they will be good for 5000 charge cycles, operate and charge in nearly any conditions (above sea level obviously), don't suffer from the cold and last about 10 times longer* than a quality alkaline battery on each charge. If you get two sets, recharge the spares every day (completely unnecessary if a set of alkaline batteries last a week in the cold...but better to have a wasted charge cycle than a flat battery)...that is going to cover you for 10,000 ski days if you are paranoid or at least 20 years if you like to live on the edge.

I don't know if you can buy small packs. We got a box of 100 and flogged the other 92 off to other racers. I'm sure you knarly dudes could organise a group buy.

*Based on very unscientific testing, but one charge does last a lot longer.

http://www.tadiranbat.com/tli-rechargable.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 9-03-17 2:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Also, If you are getting them for less than a tenner a battery you are probably buying single use ones or ones that have been made from chineseium.
snow conditions
@ish303, You are dealing with a life saving device (the transceiver, not the Wii), and you are concerned about saving a couple of £'s a week.............

@Thornyhill, Same point as above. Also, have you contacted the manufacturer of your transceiver, and received written confirmation that they are happy for you to use rechargeable lithium batteries in their transceivers which were designed alkaline?
ski holidays
Quote:

At UCPA in Val D'Isere, they said if your battery drops below 60% it's time to change it.

Personally I'm a bit paranoid and change them at 80%. The ones that I take out get put in a tub for use in TV remotes , etc so no waste.

Bit surprised that people were unaware about the lithium battery issue. IME it is clearly stated in the manuals. You really should read the manual properly on a piece of equipment you are hoping might save lives!

On a related topic, the lock button on one of my Pieps DSP Sports has cracked meaning that it doesn't lock. Very dodgy as it can now switch off when you slide it into a holster or pocket Shocked I've put in a warranty/repair request to Black Diamond / Pieps - hope they can just replace the button. Will update if I hear anything.
ski holidays
@jedster, I haven't got a transceiver so not that easy to read the instructions Wink
latest report
the ortovox zoom+ starts making a horrible beeping noise when down to about 40% so difficult to ignore
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
the ortovox zoom+ starts making a horrible beeping noise when down to about 40% so difficult to ignore

S1 does this at 50%
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:

@Thornyhill, Same point as above. Also, have you contacted the manufacturer of your transceiver, and received written confirmation that they are happy for you to use rechargeable lithium batteries in their transceivers which were designed alkaline?

They are the same voltage. The only potential problem would be if there was no regulator on the transceiver, which would be fairly crap....unless you are telling me that they produce different types of electrons. Laughing

Anyway - I don't use a transceiver. I use them for remote control car racing and they are streets better than domestic alkaline or domestic Li-ion batteries.
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:

They are the same voltage. The only potential problem would be if there was no regulator on the transceiver, which would be fairly crap....unless you are telling me that they produce different types of electrons. Laughing

Anyway - I don't use a transceiver. I use them for remote control car racing and they are streets better than domestic alkaline or domestic Li-ion batteries.

Not come across the tadiran batteries but I thought lithium chemistry gives something like 3.6v per cell vs 1.5v for alkaline? Guess you could install half as many cells and use dummy cells to complete the circuit, but I can see someone frying their transceiver. Could be wrong through?
ski holidays
@kerb, a regulator on the transceiver would solve that and also stop the battery from discharging at a higher rate (causing overheating and fire in your pocket.) Given that a regulator will cost somewhere in the region of 30p and alkaline batteries can spike voltage if you get unlucky then it would be a fairly crap transceiver which didn't have a regulator.

I may be biased... Did you know that you can replace an AA battery with mains power and a few bits you can buy in Maplins for less than a quid. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
@kerb, a regulator on the transceiver would solve that and also stop the battery from discharging at a higher rate (causing overheating and fire in your pocket.) Given that a regulator will cost somewhere in the region of 30p and alkaline batteries can spike voltage if you get unlucky then it would be a fairly crap transceiver which didn't have a regulator.

I may be biased... Did you know that you can replace an AA battery with mains power and a few bits you can buy in Maplins for less than a quid. Toofy Grin

I'll happily bow to your obviously authoritative knowledge of electronics wink but would be a little less happy to rely on your transceiver Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerb wrote:
... but would be a little less happy to rely on your transceiver Skullie

OK - You aren't getting one then. When your domestic alkaline battery dies because it is a bit cold you can't complain. wink
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:

Finally a sensible suggestion, I went in to maplins and explained that I was thinking about doing the Valley Blanche and would need a 20km length of flex for my transformer and should I buy a long length of 230v cable or just use a short length and a long length after the transformer in cheaper 6v wire? Imagine my surprise when they had security remove me from the store.

PS Does anyone have experience of plugging things in at the Agille du Midi?

Thanks to the inspirational out of the box thinking of Thorney I've decided to go green and power my transciever via a solar array and 12v lead battery,of course this has been dictated by the fact that I had to go to Halfords as Maplin wouldn't let me back in.
ski holidays
@betterinblack, Very Happy
latest report
@betterinblack, Laughing Laughing

Just get 2000 1m extension leads. Be fine.

p.s. - Transformer will be no use. Ask for a rectifier next time. No wonder they barred you. wink
snow report
Do Halfords have solar panels that work under the snow, I'll definitely get one. Meanwhile thorny, just how long can you hold your breath.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
@betterinblack, Laughing Laughing

Just get 2000 1m extension leads. Be fine.

p.s. - Transformer will be no use. Ask for a rectifier next time. No wonder they barred you. wink

I may have forgotten the pertainent electronic term but 2000 x 1m is 2km not 20km wink
latest report
jbob wrote:
Do Halfords have solar panels that work under the snow, I'll definitely get one. Meanwhile thorny, just how long can you hold your breath.

Not sure but the lad in Halfords did say they would fit them to my helmet for £5.99, although I hope that wasn't a euphemism
snow report
@betterinblack, damn. If you get 20,000 of them you won't need a transceiver. Once you get buried someone can do some sleuthing to find you quickly. They just need to follow the leads. Maybe someone should now suggest having some sort of ribbon for ease of finding buried skiers. Toofy Grin

Now, being serious...I was merely trying to demonstrate that an industrial spec Li-ion battery or mains power 'could' be used...the electrons are all the same. You just have to line them up properly, so if someone tells you that you can't use a Li-ion battery in a device designed for alkaline batteries they would probably be unable to tell the difference between a transformer, a rectifier and a voltage regulator. HTH.
latest report
@betterinblack, Laughing
snow conditions
@Thornyhill, we are close to the perfect Snowheads trifecta since we've had mention of helmets and avalanche cords in the same thread. No one utter the phrase snow tyres or we'll see the arrival of the ghost of Lewis avalanches past.
Oops I think I just inadvertently mentioned it Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@betterinblack, You could probably make your own snow tyres by duck taping all the half used alkaline batteries to your summer tyres. What could go wrong?
ski holidays
@betterinblack, do you take the kids away during half term? Wink Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy