Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites over New Year - How risky?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just had a fantastic week in the Dolomites and either planning to go back over Feb half term 2018 or possibly over New year 2017. Our hotel said that apart from a couple of years ago when it was too warm they have always managed to cover the slopes in artificial snow. If anyone has been over New year can they give me an idea of what piste conditions were like and the various risks. To elaborate, the type of info I am looking for is: Were you able to ski most of the holiday, were most of the slopes open and did the mountains look white or were they mainly brown with only pistes having snow cover? We are planning a big holiday over Easter 2018 so at least a New Year holiday will spread them out a little. There could be a massive group of us so no last minute planning.

I can't find anything on the search results either (I never seem to have much luck with the search engine!)

thanks rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have been over NY several times in recent years, including the last two when snowfall has been limited. The area has invested massively in snowmaking. Not just the equipment but also the management, manpower and resources to make it work effectively. Despite brown/green mountains, piste conditions have been excellent, with pretty much all of the pistes open. We have always been able to ski every day. Off piste non-existent, but great piste skiing.

There is no 100% reliable answer at long range. If you go high high up in the French alps to be sure of snow your skiing can be affected by wind and cold, particularly in January.

For me the Dolomites now offer a good proposition if you're not chasing powder and off-piste. High enough and with good weather and snowmaking. Well managed. And so so beautiful, as you will already know.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-03-17 17:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We spent xmas '14 in Arabba and xmas '15 in Corvara.

2014 had us worried looking at the webcams almost daily, but the hills were white when we arrived. Nothing in the village at all tho. You could see the snowline stop and the hills turn green.

2015 was a bit surreal. No natural snow at all. We were skiing on ribbons of white in fields of green grass. Amazingly the managed to open, iirc, over 700km of manmade piste (some of which was several hundred metres wide- other bits were a pistey basher wide)

The skiing was surprisingly good and the pistes held up well throughout the day. We skied every day of both holidays and it was possible to ski back to the villages both years.

But it'd didn't look very 'Christmassy'.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mini_mo, Dolomitien (sp) nights are reliably colder than those on the northern side of the alpine ridge and so the capacity to make snow is also more reliable.

As such, it's a decent choice for early in the season if you're cool with skiing on blown snow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't been as early as New Year but it does seem to be about the most reliable place in the alps for extensive linked on piste skiing in the early season. As Ian says, it is also very sheltered and less likely to be interrupted by high winds, avalanche risk or poor visibility. Don't expect any off piste skiing, although the grassy slopes dont need much to quickly become skiable and the lack of rocks will limit the damage to your skis snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I absolutely love the dolomites. I'd go anytime. Sorry but I do and would Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, just resurrecting this thread as we didn’t go this year in the end but are looking at either half term or new year.

Can anyone advise how new year compares to half term busy wise?

In 2019 our half term is 9-16 Feb and doesn’t clash with Carnevale week or Fasching which is very favourable, as per 2017. 2018 half term they all clashed. Obviously over new year all countries are off at the same time but do as many ski over new year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in the Dolomites this year for the half term & Fasching week and to be honest it wasn't too bad at all. Certainly nowhere as bad as I thought it might be and there were really only a few pinch points on the Sella Ronda where the queues were noticeably bad (although the instructors were always complaining about there being too many people on the slopes - they really don't know how good they have it compared to France.)

For 2019 your half term week (9-16 Feb) seems to be a week earlier than I think the majority have so I'd grab it with both hands. You should be able to get a really good price on flights, car hire etc, the slopes will be nice and quiet and the weather will typically be so much nicer and more snow sure than New Year. I would say I'm envious but my son is off to Uni after the summer so I now have a lot more flexibility than I used to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps the most reliable part of the alps for early season skiing ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decisions, descisions! 2 families can go new year and half term, the 3rd family only New Year so we thought it would be nicer if we could all go and having not been over New Year before thought it might be a rather different way to see the new year in! And flights are definitely cheaper over New Year too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly off-topic, but when do you think the best time to visit the Dolomites is? Presumably one out of January (after New Year) or March (before Easter), but which one do you think is more reliable for open runs & lifts, weather and snow?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, 2nd week in March.

It's the best time to visit any alpine ski resort...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can I hijack this thread and ask how busy Selva (and surrounding areas) are likely to be over the Christmas week ?(22 to 29 Dec 2018)?

We had a fab week in la rosiere at Christmas but much preferred our recent week in Selva (more extensive skiing , lovely hotel, lovely people and much better food than France) so thinking of heading back for Christmas.

Ski instructors said it was likely to be busy but maybe they meant the new year period as I understood a lot of Italians stay at home with their extended families at Christmas for a few days before going skiing nearer to new year?

Certainly La Thuile (just over from la Ros) was completely empty until several days after Xmas day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Dolomiti superski area is brilliant at making snow. So you don't need to worry about whether it has snowed recently before you go. The only doubt is whether it has been cold enough to to get the snow cannons blasting. So yes, there is some risk, if it's unseasonably warm. But if your are bent on going for xmas/new year then I think the dolomites are a pretty safe bet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks All. I’ve had a look to see what times the lifts close at New Year versus half term and I can’t find any info on the dolomiti Superski web site or via a web search. Does anyone know how much of a shorter day on the slopes you get over New Year?
ski holidays
@red 27, thanks. Worth bearing in mind if I ever manage to get decent flights to that corner of the Alps...
latest report
We'v been Xmas for the last few years, and not found it as busy as February. Agree they always manage to cover the pistes, FIS World Cup competition is mid December, and most lifts open 8.30 to 9.00, close 4.30 to 5.00, depending how important it is on the main routes, and stay the same all year round. We have been Easter time and they close the same time.
snow report
That’s handy to know thanks Bartezki
snow report
No-one's going to be able to predict weather for next season, but the snowmaking capability in the Dolomites has proved its value in lean snow years. Pistes have been made and have been 95-100% complete for the start of the season in Dec, even when natural snowfall has been absent at lower levels.

A fly in the ointment would be very mild temps that would make snowmaking difficult, but by late Oct/November overnight temps at these altitudes seem to regularly fall below zero, particularly if the skies are clear.

The factor we have seen in early season skiing on artificial pistes is that the meadows either side are brown which isn't as aesthetically pleasing as a white covering.

As to when to visit the Dolomites...the season extends from early/mid-Dec through to early April in most resorts. Dec could well be artificial snow, but you will have the place largely to yourself. Around Xmas, things get busier. New Year is a very popular time to ski for all Italian resorts, probably the busiest week of the season, best avoided if you hate noisy crowds. Jan is cheaper & quieter and more chance of natural snow having fallen. Feb is peak season and busy throughout, particularly Fasching week when many Bavarian families visit the resorts of South Tyrol. Early Mar is my favourite time, days are longer, pistes are less busy, there's often fresh snow. As March progresses, the sun has more & more of an effect with valley runs getting very soft at the end of the day. Off-piste at altitude is often great in late March when Spring storms fill the couloirs with freshies. Easter weekend usually marks the end of the season, even if fresh snow could still be plentiful in the high alpine.
snow conditions
Thread hijack! We are considering the Dolomites for Xmas. It's a big advantage for us that kids under 8 ski free.. 2 of our 3 children fall into this category and buying 3 lift passes instead of 5 makes a substantial difference!
Although we both only snowboard our children (5,7,9) only ski and are competent on blues but the younger two can get tired in the afternoons.
Amy recommendations where to base for Xmas?? ..preferably with easy access via car as we are going to drive. Would love somewhere close to the pistes but price is a big factor with a family as large as ours!!
snow report
@pablito69, somewhere with close access to Corvara/Colfosco should be good at that time of year.

Canazei is another possibility and probably better value accommodation.

I’d avoid Arabba that time of year with your group.
ski holidays
pablito69 wrote:
Thread hijack! We are considering the Dolomites for Xmas. It's a big advantage for us that kids under 8 ski free.. 2 of our 3 children fall into this category and buying 3 lift passes instead of 5 makes a substantial difference!
Although we both only snowboard our children (5,7,9) only ski and are competent on blues but the younger two can get tired in the afternoons.
Amy recommendations where to base for Xmas?? ..preferably with easy access via car as we are going to drive. Would love somewhere close to the pistes but price is a big factor with a family as large as ours!!

Plan de Grabla

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Str.+Plan+de+Gralba,+39048+Selva+di+Val+Gardena+BZ,+Italien/@46.5329669,11.771003,776m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4778152e65113081:0xf474a1cff01c61a2!8m2!3d46.533491!4d11.7723763

http://www.garni-wolf.it/index.php/welcome.html ?

http://www.residencesassolungo.it/
snow report
@Hyst, Those look lovely but how do you get out of Plan de Gralba on blue runs? Is there a ski school? Getting to Selva looks like a choice of Red (finishing with a Blue), Red (all the way) or Black (finishing with a Red). Val di Fassa is all red runs so it doesn't look like @pablito69 could take the kids far. Looks like it's pretty high, 1800m?

Ha, the 3D and 2D maps have the run from Comici 1 into St Cristina as a Red (Comici-Tramans then Charly), the 'Topo-map' view on the app has it all as a blue! Quick check and sure enough it's the other way round in Alta Badia. Biok-Pralongia is Blue on the 3D/2D maps, Red on the 'Topo-Map'. Jokers!

Plenty of blue runs in Alta Badia and this place has space for 5 if 2 children don't mind sharing a large double (think 6ft wide):
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3213261&highlight=san+cassiano#3213261
latest report
The fields that are turned into pistes come winter are like golf fairways and there are no rocks at all. So 15 cm of snow natural or man made is enough. Also the pisteurs are the very best at managing what they have.

Having said that I have always booked Christmas/New Year at the last minute and choosing a resort with good snow. It is just that the Dollys need less than somewhere like Val d'Isere.
latest report
A subjective opinion, but I’d say that most red graded pistes in the Dolomites are less challenging than, say, the mega sized circuits in France.

The snow conditions and piste grooming in the Dolomites is very good in my experience.

So, to me, an average red run in the Dolomites would equate to an average Blue in Espace Killy.

The usual caveats about visibility, icyness and other condition variables apply.
snowHead
latest report
Have you thought about Finland instead?

I LOVE the dolies- I'm there summer and winter, but having going to Finland (levi) over Christmas and New year this season, it's my new pick for early season.

Yes it's cold (but I didn't find it overly cold) it's dark, but magical and excellently lit, and my 5yo absolutely loved all the tree skiing.

Loads of cabins so as a big family prices were certainly cheaper than elsewhere.

Plenty of other activities to keep the kids busy too.
snow report
I find it quite amusing that people come on here and ask will it be busy new years week or feb half term week?

You have to ask yourself sometimes . . . . will santa come at xmas?
latest report
pablito69 wrote:

If convenience is a big concern, go with the Plan de Gralba suggestion or try Colfosco, but these will be pricier as most accommodation is close to pistes/lifts. The Alta Badia area near Corvara, La Villa or San Cassiano have the most easy blues.

If cost is a big concern and you don't mind commuting a few miles, try the resorts in Val di Fassa which have many cheaper options a short drive from the lifts, but still easy access to the Sella Ronda via Campitello, Canazei or Alba.

As to accessibility by car, are you driving from the UK or a local airport?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plan Gralba has the best slopes for beginners on the Sella Ronda. Unless you want to stay in the hamlet there, you'll need a car anyway, and even if you do, you'll want to drive into Selva. However, you can get to Plan Gralba via lifts from Selva (might require a bit of sideslipping IIRC for weaker skiers), and ski back down via a blue run that parallels the roads if you want.

Also, ifyou have a car you can get to Alpe di Siusi, which is a blue/easy red paradise.

From our experience in Val G, unless you're within walking distance of a lift, everyone is a strong skier and has the same destinations in mind, you'll need a car. The ski buses are a real PITA.

On the plus side, parking is not that expensive and relatively plentiful in certain areas if you get there early
latest report
There is a ski bus that runs the valley from Plan de gralba to Ortisei, all included in the local tax, so free, so anywhere in the valley you have access to anywhere else, Alpe de Susi is superb for new skiers
snow conditions
^^true, but it's not that easy to use, unless you happen to be staying right near a stop. and it gets jammed at the end of the day.
snow report
Quote:

@pablito69 Having highjacked another thread last year, we finally booked the Utaria Post in Badia (near La Villa/SanCassiano and Corvara) for Feb half term http://www.ustariaposta.it/en/

We also have three children, and the hotel is next to the ski hire and bottom of the lift. It is run by Igor who has a couple of young kids himself. It is cheap and basic and has family rooms with bunk beds. Igor runs the Holimites Holiday company. We got flights to Venice, and have hired a car. The next decision is about the ski school. I will be asking Igor for recommendations.
latest report
gaschick wrote:
Quote:

@pablito69 Having highjacked another thread last year, we finally booked the Utaria Post in Badia (near La Villa/SanCassiano and Corvara) for Feb half term http://www.ustariaposta.it/en/

We also have three children, and the hotel is next to the ski hire and bottom of the lift. It is run by Igor who has a couple of young kids himself. It is cheap and basic and has family rooms with bunk beds. Igor runs the Holimites Holiday company. We got flights to Venice, and have hired a car. The next decision is about the ski school. I will be asking Igor for recommendations.

Igor has his own channel on youtube and posts some excellent videos of the ALta Badia Slopes, worth a look!!
snow report
[Igor has his own channel on youtube and posts some excellent videos of the ALta Badia Slopes, worth a look!!]

I have seen his videos. I think we are in for a treat!!! Very excited about this now!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy