Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re booking short trip to Austria please

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking a 4 or 5 days ski trip for mid December 17 as it is the only time we can get away together for skiing next season.

I have previously tried to book shorter ski trips but never succeeded as struggled to find a nice hotel that was happy to offer a non Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun booking during school holiday. I have also read in other threads that other people have similar problems.

So here is the initial thought. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Book flight for mid December and decide on resort closer to date, depending on snow.

Thinking of 2 options:
1) Dec 12th -17th flights to Salzburg
2) Dec 13th-17th flights to Innsbruck
I am hoping that by leaving on a Sunday (a week before Christmas eve), there might be hotels willing to offer a shorter stay?

Which airport do you think is a better bet? The thinking behind the 2 airports is that in the worst case snow scenario, we could go to Obertauern near Salzburg or Obergurghl near Innsbruck as they are pretty snow sure with good snow-making facilities. However, these are not our top choices as we have been there a few times already. Any other suggestions of other resorts near those airports would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In that period all hotels everywhere be gladly accepting bookings for less than a full week.
And you should definitely wait with booking a hotel till at least end november, riskfree!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might also be worth considering flying to Munich as an alternative. More flight choices.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at which high altitude resorts in Austria have easy access from your airport. I fly into Innsbruck for a holiday every December ( lschgl) Never had a problem with a hotel or self catering, and in Ischgl the skiing on piste is good. Lots of hotels here often offer packages to include lift passes etc in the low season. Some do deals i.e. Stay 4 pay 3. Other resorts may be the same. I have skied lschgl many times in December and not been disappointed. The runs into resort may be closed but the top is usually in good form!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@margaret. Thank you. Ischgl is definitely on our list of resorts to try. I did overhear a conversation from the people sitting behind us flying back from Innsbruck on our last December trip that they had been to Ischgl and they had a pretty good time with good snow. Do you usually go in early Dec or late Dec? Any hotels you would recommend? Will definitely do some research on Ischgl. Thx.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 27-02-17 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
May I also suggest Munich. Flights more reliable than innsbruck, lots of hire car options and the drive to Austrian resorts is easy enough
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowy123, Innsbruck has better public transport options if that's a factor - (ie get the train to St Anton, jobs a good 'un)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm no expert on Austria, but that early in the season I'd be thinking about a glacier e.g., Hintertux which is less than 1.5 hours from Innsbruk. As @grumpygargoyle suggested, Munich is close, but having driven from there to Zillertal arena yesterday I've been very unimpressed with how long things have taken - we waited an age for Avis/Budget in the airport, ski hire took forever in Sport2000 (ok, so I forgot to print the form, which meant I had to go from the small outlet on the way in to Fugen to the larger one, queue, use their computer to print the form, get the skis, queue again etc. In this day and age, a non-electronic system is backwards), no supermarkets in Fugen open past 18:30. It feels like the dark ages here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666 and @grumpygargoyle. Thanks for the Munich suggestion. Definitely more flights (and cheaper)! However, as it is such a short trip, we are hoping to get as much skiing in as possible including on the last day, so we think a closer airport is probably better so that we don't have to waste too much time travelling to max out skiing time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Munich will give you that as the last EJ flight is at 21-00 plus (depending on day ) whereas the Innsbruck ones are earlier in the day .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowy123, i'm flying into Innsbruck on the 18th March with EJ. land local time 10am. cost £108 inc baggage but plus £60 for ski bag. we're staying in Seefeld, 20 mins by taxi. Although Seefeld is a very small area and suited best to beginners, i'm taking my wife for her second trip, we are only there for 4 days so the area size is not an issue. But Kühtai is only 30 mins from Innsbruck.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowy123, we go the first week after the concert, arriving on the Sunday. The snow above Idalp has always been good enough for piste skiing. Lower pistes are closed. It is never busy. You do need to download in the lift if you do not like grass skiing or have your own skis. There has never been enough snow for off piste. We have stayed in a good number of hotels, we like the Brigitte, they do a package giving you a free night. The Jagerhof is good too. Both are near the lift to the dorf tunnel. The fliana is opposite the pardascrat lift, and has a food award. It is pricey. We have used the Madeleine, that gives you free entry to Pascha, but it is usually full of men. The Madeleine either floats your boat or not! There is self catering there too, apartments are larger than in France and there are lots of restaurants to try.
We will be there for an early doors in December again. Have fun. Tourist office has a website to help you. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jafa wrote:
Munich will give you that as the last EJ flight is at 21-00 plus (depending on day ) whereas the Innsbruck ones are earlier in the day .

And Lufthansa flights, which include baggage for similar prices, may be even later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you don't mind driving, and can delay the apres ski a bit, you could always rent a car and stay in a hotel down valley - e.g. in Innsbruck, or further west towards Imst or Landeck . Outside of the resorts, the hotels will take any range of dates. I often do similar between Christmas and New Year, and have had no problems finding hotels in Austria, Italy or Switzerland for the odd night or longer
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But Kühtai is only 30 mins from Innsbruck.

More like an hour
snow report
For a pre-Christmas trip, I'd be looking at areas which include a glacier in case the snow hasn't arrived enough for the main area to be open, but have extensive lower options e.g. Hintertux for the Zillertal, Kaprun with Zell am See, Dachstein and Schladming, or Sölden. That way you are guaranteed skiing, but if the early snow is good you're not stuck on the glacier.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, i have been to Flachau before Christmas 5 out of the past 6 years. I have never needed a glacier. As you know the snowmaking is excellent and the skiing has been great
latest report
musher wrote:
Quote:

But Kühtai is only 30 mins from Innsbruck.

More like an hour

I'd give it 45 mins by car. But - though I've never done it that way - 1.5 hours probably by public transport.

However I wouldn't choose Kühtai at that time of year. Yes it's high, but that also means it's rocky, and it gets noticeably less snow than surrounding areas. High is only an advantage once snow has fallen - once it's on the ground it sticks around better at altitude.

Pre-Xmas, just book flights to IBK or MUC, then wait until a few weeks before to choose resort and hotel.

Top places to keep an eye on in the vicinity: Stubaier Glacier, Hintertux, Obergurgl, Sölden, Ischgl. If the snow comes thick and fast there are many many more though.
snow report
margaret wrote:
@Snowy123, we go the first week after the concert, arriving on the Sunday. The snow above Idalp has always been good enough for piste skiing. Lower pistes are closed. It is never busy. You do need to download in the lift if you do not like grass skiing or have your own skis. There has never been enough snow for off piste.

Just so the OP knows, margaret is talking about Ischgl.

But opening day this season the runs to the village were open, and were in the best condition I've ever skied them.
ski holidays
Thank you very much, Everyone, for all the tips and suggestions re resorts. I will now do more homework on the resorts suggested. It looks like we are likely to book the Innsbruck flights.

@margaret, Thank you for all the Ischgl tips and hotel recommendation. Much appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy