Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex gloves giving wet hands

Poster: A snowHead
We bought a pair of Salomon Goretex gloves for my daughter a couple of years ago.
Only used for 2 skiing holidays and discovered this time they are fine in the snow but when it rained her finger tips were soaking wet and got really cold.
Has anyone else had this experience?
We are not impressed. They were fairly expensive gloves as I recall.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Email Goretex - they have a very good warranty on anything using their membranes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skilass, wot @clarky999, suggests.

Also, any chance the rain was getting in through the cuffs? I had a nice pair of gloves years ago with a completely useless neoprene cuff that meant no use in wet weather.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought some Salomon goretex gloves a few years ago, probably still got them somewhere. They were worse than useless tbh.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have switched to Mountain Equipment Randonee gloves; they have a pile lining which dries extremely quickly and a water resistant soft shell outer with goat leather palms and fingers. Not waterproof but your body heat keeps the water away and even if they do wet out the pile remains pretty warm to the touch.

When you say her finger tips, did you mean hers or the gloves? What you describe may be the outer fabric getting soaked, the waterproof lining may still be working but the wet finger tips may reduce the insulating effect. Try stuffing a piece of cloth into the fingers, dip the gloves in water for 15 mins and see if it penetrates.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Goretex is hopeless in glove IME - the membrane is too easy to tear or perforate with constant flexing & gloves turning inside out on removal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, my favourite ever, ever gloves were Marker branded with Goretex, Thinsulate and fleecy pile. Lasted two full working seasons and about 6 holiday weeks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive got Arcteryx goretex gloves and they are phenomenal , mainly bought for skiing underwater in Morzine.. Toofy Grin

@Scarpa, my everyday gloves are the randonee's great arent they !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was her actual fingertips that were soaking wet. We have always had Goretex equipment that has never let us down until these gloves.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skilass, Sounds like dodgy manufacturing or a defect. I've had previous Goretex gloves that lasted many years of climbing and skiing with no leaks. I'd definitely write to the manufacturers as a start.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've found Goretex really good in mitts.

Perhaps the material has broken down, or... are they taped? Gloves (which I don't use partly for this reason) have a lot of seams on the fingers which are going to need a lot of tape. Maybe they didn't do the job properly there? Tape can come off in time too - you can get sealant stuff to stick it back.

Alternatively some gloves have leather or similar palms, which mostly aren't waterproof unless you put some gunk on them to make them so. You need to treat even brand new stuff, in my experience.

All that said, if it's actually raining then, well the snow's not going to be great.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've a very positive view of Goretex, but a pretty mixed view of Salomon branded clothing.

OH had a very disappointing pair of Goretex Salomon walking boots which lasted for about 6 months of light usage before letting in water all over. That said, I did buy her some Salomon ski gloves (GTX) for xmas, and they work perfectly, though only used once so far... Use the GTX warranty.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How did she wear them?
Jacket cuffs over or tucked in the gloves?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skilass, definitely use the Goretex guarantee.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are home now so will send a complaint to Salamon.
ski holidays
This link explains what Goretex is.

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/en-gb/technology/what-is-gore-tex

You should note that the outer fabric is only water resistant and will absorb moisture unless it is regularly treated with a water repellent manufactured by the likes of Nikwax or Grainger's. A wet outer will be much colder than a dry outer irrespective of garment construction.
@skilass, this may or may not be your problem but many people don't realise that you still need to proof gortex jackets, salopettes, boots, gloves etc. I do mine every year.
snow report
@skilass,

How was the water getting in? It's quite easy (depending on glove over/under jacket cuff, arm positioning etc) for water to run off the jacket straight down the inside of the gloves - especially in the rain.

Very little will stop cold wet hands if that is how the water is getting in.
latest report
She has her gloves over her sleeve cuffs but if the rain got in that way the rest of the gloves would be wet too. But it was just the tips.
snow report
@skilass, sounds like a seam/tape issue.
ski holidays
Well - salamon have said they have a 2 year guarantee (and are 2 years and a month old) so going to try Goretex. What a faff. Not sure if it's worth the hassle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy