Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc - anyone been? Or other recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we will be a group of around 20 higher intermediate and some advanced skiers. Looking for a fairly quiet sloped resort, with enough reds/blacks to keep everyone happy. last year we looked into Champoloc, and one of the group has asked to go there this time, but there seemed to be conflicting info on the size of the resort piste wise when we considered it before. Some say 75KM so fairly limited, whilst others said it was linked to a bigger area. We do like a fairly large ski area, places we've been and loved so far:
Obergurgl
Lech
Cervinia
Merribel - but looking to avoid France this time.

So does anyone have any personal recommendations?

Our wish list is:

Transfer under 2 hrs - preferable not Insbruk (3 landing attempts last time!!) Shocked
Ski in/out, or as near as possible
All rooms en suite
Not a huge hotel - prefer a chalet - difficult with 20 people though
Enough varied skiing for everyone
snow sure as possible
At least 1 decent apres bar (think the nedderhutt in Obergurgl).

Not asking much eh??

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Gressoney earlier in the season (which is linked to Champoluc) and can recommend it highly. Its part of the Monterosa ski area and is around 175km-200km i believe. My GF and I ski pretty fast and it kept us happily entertained for a week. Alagna, the third valley (champoluc on the left, gressoney middle, alagna right) has a good black and red down to the village. It is also very quiet as an area, particularly in the week (busy at weekend with Italians from Turin/Milan). Food on the mountain also first class. We stayed in Gressoney la trinite and it was pretty much ski in ski out. Champoluc is a bit bigger but probably no more than 5 mins walk to lifts.

You have a challenging wish list there -typically ski in ski out resorts are in france (and they are typically the most snow sure too), or the best austrian resorts are close to Innsbruck (but you could fly to Salzburg or Friedrickshafen, Munich) with a longer transfer. Chalets are typically a french thing too, but you can find them in Switzerland, very rare elsewhere.

To consider:
Kitzbuhel
Maryhofen
Saalbach Hinterglemm
Dolomites (Selva etc)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@micheleperry, I took a similar party to Champoluc a few years ago. It was OK. Definately worthy of a visit.

Though the pistes were relatively quiet it did seem to attract a lot of racers who enjoy the billard table smooth pistes and belt down. However they did seem to know what they are doing. The length of pistes is fine, but tend to be of the out and back type ie ski over to Alagna and back. You do get a feeling that you are at the extreme end of the ski area. All pistes are bashed smooth, even the blacks, so the advanced skiers may like to hire a guide and go off piste. The blacks would be reds in many resorts. I have a vague memory that the beginner in the party found it difficult to get out of the Champoluc valley due to a fairly tricky piste from the pass of the horned beast (as we named it).

We never found an apres ski bar, but then we wern't looking, prefering to have a drink on the mountain on the last run of the day and head off down to the hotel.

For the record for our second visit to the Monterosa ski area we chose Gressoney.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy unlikely for chalet.
For this year? Group of 20 prob difficult anywhere.
Monterosa claims iirc 150kms pistes, not all linked by skis.
Only the Austrians do Austrian apres. But there are some decent bars in Champoluc.
Transfer 1.5 from Turin, 2-2.5 from Milan depending but mostly motorway.
Pretty snow sure on piste as high and well cannoned.
Great food and drink on and off mountain.
Ski in and out possible to find, e.g. Hotel Cre Forne. If a really quiet week, for next season and you're lucky maybe even the Rascard Frantze.

Enough for your group? I have no idea. I have probably skied about 160 days there so etc... ymmv.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, sorry i should have said, it will be next year end jan start of feb time. I've copied the others in to this chat so they can have a read too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went with the Mrs a few years ago with a tour operator and we ended up skiing in a group of about 20 all week. I thought the area was great. Never, ever, a lift queue which is pretty high on my list of positives. Piste conditions were very good (though the snow that particular week was some of the best I have had anywhere). I did not think there was anything too extreme piste wise for the more advanced, though there is plenty of accessible OP, especially over towards Alagna if you get a guide. Food and drink was very good everywhere and cheap compared to French resorts (isn't everywhere?). We stayed in the Hotel de Champoluc which is right on the piste down to the main gondola in the village so great location. I don't recall much, if any, nightlife though we just ate and drank as a large group in the hotel most nights. There wasn't anything I'd particularly describe as 'apres' other than a few beers up the mountain after the lifts close, then a ski back on deserted slopes, though that could have changed by now. Easy transfer to Turin, quick bus down the road to Antagnod for lunch and a few hours skiing was good (I remember skiing at 4pm and there were hardly any tracks on the piste) as a distraction during the week. Think we went the first week in Feb and it was definitely one of the most enjoyable weeks skiing I have had. Defo recommend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, we have been going to Champoluc for years with Ski2 and have introduced lots of friends to the resort. It is never very busy. You are more likely to bump into a Scandinavian on VERY PHAT powder skis than a Brit. There is WAY more skiing than in Obergurgl, having been to the two resorts, if you exclude the day trip to Solden. The skiing is much more interesting than Obergurgl/Hochgurgl IMHO.

yes, if you have a timid intermediate then getting out of resort down the Goat run is tricky when it is busy/icy, and yes, the resort probably ought to reclassify this as a black, but it doesn't sound like anyone in your party is this way inclined.

The plus points of Champoluc - great food, great prices, very friendly staff in all parts of the resorts and on the mountains, great off piste. There are some fantastic bars and restaurants in resort and on the bottom of the runs in Champoluc and about. You are never going to get Austrian-techno-oompa music belting out at full blast from an lift or in an ares ski bar. So if this is what you want, then avoid!

Included in the lift pass is skiing in Pila, so if you have a car/get the bus, you can ski there as well. I have also skied in Antagnod and Estoul (vvvvv quiet, great for beginners and for an hour or so), but the best skiing in the red/black runs over towards Alagna.

I am a bit crap and don't know how to add photos to this post, but here you can find some pictures of some off piste ski touring on the Petit Tournalin that I posted in my review of the hotel of the same name (great hotel BTW!)
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1168857-d1379953-r461641240-Hotel_Petit_Tournalin-Champoluc_Valle_d_Aosta.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to confess I have seen a few lift queues in Champoluc, but I suspect the main problem lift has now been upgraded. The biggest queue I did see, however, was not for a lift, but to get back over the hill from Gresoney when the higher lifts had been closed due to a bit of wind. They mount a big cage on the back of a piste basher that truddles up the hill to deposit you at the top otherwise there is no way to get back home. Personnally I thought it added a bit of adventure to the holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, they must have got slightly caught out (occasionally happens) as they are very twitchy about getting out the "high wind coming get back to your home valley" signs.

That time of year, normally, some nice off piste (albeit not necessarily powder) above Alagna and below Punta Indren (although that is often enough controlled for avvy gear).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Yes, they will only let people onto the Punta Indian lift with a transceiver. i think this is only fair TBH. There was a big cue for the big cable car back up from Alagna this half term, but when we went the next day, there was absolutely no queue!! You can sometimes wait a bit for the Frachey chairlift, but these are NOTHING compared to the queues in France that I have experienced!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, They are a bit funny about the wind and will close lifts at the drop of a hat! We have never been caught out, yet, but you do hear of it happening. They give warning with the signs, so you just have to ski back. It's a long and expensive taxi ride from Alagna to Champoluc if this happens!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@micheleperry, Don't know what your budget is, but this is a pretty special place to stay in Champoluc. Tucked away, on the hill. Some celebs have been known to go there! http://ski-2.com/property/hotellerie-de-mascognaz/

BTW, Richard Branson has been known to drop in to Champoluc!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@micheleperry, This is also ski in ski out with 6 bedrooms. http://ski-2.com/property/stadel-soussun/
It's about as close to an Austrian style Chalet as you are going to get around in Champoluc. The self catering can be VERY pricey here for some strange reason!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@micheleperry, Or this one http://ski-2.com/property/villa-americana/ Ignore the walking times! These are for vvv slow people and there are minibuses! We have stayed at lots of hotels in the village with Ski2. They are all good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gaschick, before and after new year they were definitely not checking avvy kit. But we have been turned away cos friends hadn't brought theirs (and no obvious rhyme nor reason as to why nor why not so best be prepared and not prepared to be disappointed.

I think (!) the wind issue is more to do with gusting. We spend an interesting journey back a few years ago when they were turning the Stafal cable on and off mid journey as the wind gusted Shocked

It is not normally a big issue! The problem is worst if you have to get a taxi from Alagna... Shocked

Mascognaz is lovely but I heard it had a two year waitlist. And you have to get a vehicular lift in and out of town. Likewise Stadel.

Americana probably a 10 minute walk if you are brisk but I believe Ski2 are very "generous" with their shuttles.
snow conditions
@micheleperry, Just come back from a few days in Monte Rosa, great piste skiing, with at times empty pistes. Only queued once for about 5 mins at the bottleneck at Frachey. Skied end to end (Champoluc to Alagna) and back with a lunch stop at Frantze Le Rascard plus end of ski day sundowner on the mountain on pristine pistes.

Okay, the resort is small-ish, the mileage seems "optimistic", and pistes "over-rated", but black rated "Moos" into Stafal from Salati is a joy, so is the run to Alagna even though the bottom third was slushy even mid-February! Conditions need more fresh snow as this week was more like April Spring skiing.

Be aware that a good skier will cover the territory easily, but also that an away day to La Thuile or Cormayeur is a must, the skiing in Monte Rosa despite being lovely is not huge!

@under a new name, To say the Hostellerie de Masognaz is "lovely" is a positive understatement of possibly one of the best mountain hideaways in the Alps. Fabulous experience, Dr Zhivago meets Mr Bond, skidoo and snow-cat to get there, good Spa, great rooms, with wonderful food. Treat yourself! snowHead
latest report
@skimastaaah, the wife has been a few times, I always seem to be unavailable.
snow conditions
I missed out on a drink at the bar on the piste down to Champoluc, the one that had the boar's backside on the outside wall. Usually one of my bucket-list things to do in Monte Rosa, however I did drink elsewhere to make up!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, is that the one almost at the bottom? Never dropped in.
snow conditions
skiied there for four days last year and had a great time. Stayed in some rough and ready accomodation but were mostly interested in the skiing. Had a really snowy day and fresh twice at night making for an excellent trip.

Pretty easy runs and lots of off-piste. Runs in the Gressoney valley were amazingly good.

finding a restaurant on Saturday night was really hard - book ahead unless you are a small party.
snow conditions
I took a party of 12 in january and a friend took a party of 36... went with inghams and stayed in the chalet champoluc at the bottom of the piste ... ive been going there fir 8 years and never get fed up of it...no night life but a few bars and good food.. empty pistes aoart from weejends when locals and turin lot turn up...
ski holidays
Quote:

no night life

You haven't been out to "West Road"??

Or Herman's Tuesday night Music night (I am not sure he still does that).
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@skimastaaah, is that the one almost at the bottom? Never dropped in.

There was a young man from Sheffield (I think) who was working the bar and brought in very interesting bottled beers. A few with high alcohol ABV, just perfect to finish a day cruising the courduroy.

The other watering hole was Adler's Nest, a Walser-folklore type snack-eatery. Perfect sunny position, and a good ski in to it, and from it. Plus another on the run into La Trinite. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thanks all, we are still considering it. Looked at the very swanky one hotellerie-de-mascognaz, wow!

Also in the mix now are Ischgl (though not a small town I know!) and sestriere.
snow report
Hi, heading to Champoluc over new year, we're staying in a hotel which is quite a bit closer to the Frachey station that the lift up from Champoluc and was wondering if there are facilities to store skis & boots at the Frachey station to avoid walking in boots or taking the car for about 0.5km.
Cheers
snow conditions
@Old Dog, I've never had to so I don't know, but I don't think so.

Ah, now there's a thought though, there may be in the self service restaurant at the top of the Frachey funi. I know the skis clubs base themselves out of that. http://dusoleilchampoluc.it/informazioni/
snow report
Our daughter and SIL went to the Hotellerie de Mascognard last year to celebrate their joint 40ths, leaving us with their little girls in Les Gets, and came back saying it was a wonderful place, maybe just once every few years as very special. Spring forward to this March and they seem to have got a return trip there as joining a party to celebrate a very good friend’s 40th. What started out as a 3 star hotel in Austria to which they signed up has ended up being a repeat trip. Empty the girls money boxes I think!
latest report
Old Dog wrote:
Hi, heading to Champoluc over new year, we're staying in a hotel which is quite a bit closer to the Frachey station that the lift up from Champoluc and was wondering if there are facilities to store skis & boots at the Frachey station to avoid walking in boots or taking the car for about 0.5km.
Cheers

Not sure if the same place, but when I stay at Hotel Le Rocher (but it is 800m 1.5 km from Frachey, so most probably not the same hotel), the hotel will always bring you to/from Frachey funi. And I suspect you might be able to leave skis at the top of Frachey too, but not certain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too many posts in favor of the resort. If not careful there may may be more than 3 or 4 people on the piste mid week! @under a new name, will be there last week in January are there any restaurant updates, recommendations for 2018, lunch in Montarosa is one of the highlights. Many thanks.
ski holidays
Quote:

are there any restaurant updates, recommendations for 2018, lunch in Montarosa is one of the highlights.

Would welcome some recommendations, so far I've pencilled in Rifugio Gabiet.
latest report
Old Dog wrote:
Quote:

are there any restaurant updates, recommendations for 2018, lunch in Montarosa is one of the highlights.

Would welcome some recommendations, so far I've pencilled in Rifugio Gabiet.

Slopeside or in Champoluc?
ski holidays
Rifugio Belvedere is going somewhat upmarket with Eric claiming not upmarket prices. We had several fine lunches last year.

That was our top tip for on mountain dining last season.
snow report
Punta Yolanda and Rascard Frantze were my favourites
ski holidays
Quote:

Slopeside or in Champoluc?

Slopeside
snow report
But not new, @mooney058, ...
ski holidays
@under a new name, indeed, not new, but still great food.
ski holidays
Frantze for sure Punta Yolanda not so sure
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy