Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard on Eurostar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

I am going on the night train this Friday and was planning on using my backpack that I can strap my board to. Just looking on the Eurostar site it states that equipment (skis/board) need to be in a protective sleeve.

Have any of you had any experience of this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not tried it but how about just tape a pillow case or two over the board to cover those scary sharp edges, complies with the letter of the rules if not quite the spirit!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got a tweet response from Eurostar and they just said it needs to be in a protective case. Although something like wrapping it in bubble might do I'm not sure I want to risk it. hmmm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It would be a rare thing in the UK to see someone with a board not in a case or some sort of sleeve.

That said, in BC it's common to throw them on buses without any wrapping or anything, and I have seen boards come out of the conveyor at airports without any wrapping. They're tough old things, but they'll get beaten up if you let baggage handlers throw them about without something to protect the edges.

On a train... well you know what trains are like. You could stick an unwrapped board in the overhead rack I guess. So I'm sure it'd be fine, although I'd still put it in something. My piste board edges will cut your skin and your clothes, although I don't bother sharpening my powder boards.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its getting through security I'm worried about. not worried about damage as it will be above my seat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Couple of lengths of pipe lag around the nose and tail bungee'd to hold 'em and couple of wraps of bubblewrap would take care of business, or get yourself a dirt-cheap sleeve bag.

You'll probably have to leave the board in the luggage area at the end of each carriage as it'll occupy too much room in the overhead area.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took my uncovered board recently on the train from Geneva to Zurich, was easy to put in the rack above the seat, along with ruck sack. No dramas, though I was amused at several passengers expressing surprise at seeing a snowboard on a train, in Switzerland, in January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've used the Eurostar many times, the latest being last week. They really want to reserve the luggage racks at the ends of the carriage for big pieces (e.g. holdalls/suitcases) and will definitely prefer you to put snowboards in the bigger (there are two levels of rack, one for bags, one for smaller items like coats) overhead rack by your seat - we put skis in the larger overhead rack a few years back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy