Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How tight should boots be?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How tight do people generally have their boot clips?

On steep slopes or later in the day my boots often feel too loose (i.e. I can feel my feet moving around in them). If I then tighten them they feel more secure and stable.

The problem I then get though is that I find my toes start getting very cold, even when its relatively mild weather. Presumably this is because the circulation in my feet is reduced due to the tightened boots?

Is there a solution to this? Is it normal for my toes to get cold with properly tightened boots and should I just invest in some heated soles. Or is this an indication there is something wrong with my boot size/fitting?

My boots are the standard design with 4 clips, 2 clips on the upper foot and 2 clips on the shin. Should some clips be tightened more than others for good support while still allowing good circulation?

Thanks for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have exactly the same problem, too tight, cold feet, too loose i cant control my skis properly! Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SlipnSlide, My boots always require a few buckle turns after lunch. The bottom two clips should generally be done up once the cuff clips have pulled your heel back (bed your heel in first). I like a little tightness but they should be a one finger job, if the boot fits well there is no need to have these compressing your feet.

The top two buckles and the power strap should be what keeps your boot snug, but even one extra turn on the micro adjust can make the difference between a firm grip and tingling toes.

I am a boot faff meister as my friends can tell you Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-02-17 15:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@warbis66, I switched to custom foam liners for my piste skiing boots, way better control and comfort. A snug fitting boot means that you don't need to have them done up too tightly, you usually need a few pressure points blown out though as this is a performance fit and either you really need to know what you are doing when trying boots on or you need a damn good boot fitter to pick the boot suited to your foot shape, ability, foot volume etc.

I do get the odd cold toes below -15C though... but that is understandable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scarpa thanks, i know my boots are a bad fit, i got done over by Sn++ and Ro++ and they wiggled out of their "snow fit" worthless guarantee. I have never found boots that really fit me due to my hideous shape. I was due to visit sole solutions but sadly had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances. Perhaps i will rebook, it might be worth it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa wrote:
I do get the odd cold toes below -15C though... but that is understandable.

I was getting cold toes last week when the temp was +5 and the rest of me including hands were warm so I figure its obviously something due to boot tightness affecting my circulation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@warbis66, My off piste boots are now Salomons which have a heat mouldable shell. I haven't required it, just a couple of blow out points, but they can heat the shell to 200C, put it on over your liners then chill it to fix the position. It can increase by 8-10mm in width Shocked

@SlipnSlide, Sounds like it. My foam liners fit so snuggly that when I put a slightly thicker sock on (Falke SK3 as opposed to my usual SK4) I gave up skiing after an hour due to the pain. But with the socks I had them fitted with I can ski all day in comfort (well the first run of the day is always a buckle faff situation Laughing )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@warbis66,
probably worth getting a proper boot fitter to take a look but it sounds like your boots are a bit big so you are obliged to clamp the clips down to compensate. Worst case is you need smaller shells but in your shoes (pardon the pun) I'd be inclined to experiment with some aftermarket liners like the thicker intuition wrap liners - these would take up a chunk of excess room in the boot while being moldable to deal with any lumps and bumps on your feet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SlipnSlide, sounds like they may be too big for you😕
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy