Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner or Intermediate? Your thoughts please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am new to skiing and am looking to join a ski class for a week in Alpbach Austria next weekend. I have done 3 private lessons to date and on my third lesson yesterday, for the first time I went up the blue run 3 times totalling about 45 minutes. I slowly but comfortably made turns and learned to get my skis parallel when not turning. Fell down twice.

A bit of my background: At the end of my first 1 hour private lesson, my instructor had already said I should go up the blue run on my next class as I could stop, turn around cones and go up and down ramps comfortably at the nursery slope. I skate and had 3 seasons of snowboarding which I think helped me feel comfortable on my skis quickly.

My question is: Am I a beginner or Intermediate?

I would think of myself as a beginner but as I was calling up the ski school earlier to make a booking for the lessons, the gentlemen on the phone told me that I should join the Advance class even though I repeated that I have only been on the blue run ONCE. Their website only advertise for Beginner and Advance classes (website says Advance = for all types of skiers up to racetraining). I am afraid to book the wrong lesson. Anyone has any guidance on whether I should book Beginners or Advance class (No Intermediate option).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience of group lessons, all those who claim they are able to ski are sent up a suitable slope and told to ski down one at a time. As they reach the bottom they are allocated to groups of a similar ability. You don't need to book the level of lesson, it'll be done for you. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@keai7,
Although describing yourself as a beginner is probably very reasonable, beginners lessons are usually for people who have never put on skis before or are exceptionally nervous.

I would sign up for any lessons that are a level above beginner and let the ski school sort out what level to put you in they are usually fairly good at this, though a lot depends on what other people are taking lesson the week you are there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say beginner, but don't worry too much about it. They'll either assess you on the day (as Neddy says) or they'll suggest you switch groups if you're in the wrong one Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echo Neddy's comment - every ski school I have attended did the same thing ("Ski down to that Instructor, doing your best turns..")
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@keai7, In austria I have found there is no real concept of intermediate; you are either a beginner or you aren't (sometimes you see "slightly advanced). Book whatever is available that is not beginners then go in on the saturday when you arrive to discuss with them
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@keai7, definitely not beginner, don't forget things can get misinterpreted in translation, if you look at the website for the ski school in German you will see fortgeschrittener which Google translate will give a translation of 'more advanced' or Anfänger which is beginner. Every week we have people coming for beginners lessons who have skied before, we normally can create a 'liars' group for them, this is rarely as good for them as the lowest fortgeschrittener class as it is normally full of nervous people.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I'll sign up for the (ahem) Advance class than! Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do not book for beginner lessons if you have had private lessons and have skied blue runs. Our nephew done something similar to you last year. It was his first time skiing on the mountains but we had booked him 2 x 2 hour lessons at MK prior to going so as to avoid the very basic beginners group. I asked his instructor after the lessons at MK as to what we should do and he advised the next group up from beginners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@keai7, echoing what everyone is saying. Just want to add I skied Alpbach last year, took my wife on her first ever trip. beautiful village and a good ski area for beginners (or advanced in your case!).
there's a nice bar in the village on the bend by the bus stop and a nice restaurant next door called Postalm.

Enjoy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
In my experience of group lessons, all those who claim they are able to ski are sent up a suitable slope and told to ski down one at a time. As they reach the bottom they are allocated to groups of a similar ability. You don't need to book the level of lesson, it'll be done for you. snowHead

This. Although the instructors in Flachau seemed very keen to know how much of the instruction had actually been on mountains rather than in the UK (indoor or dryslope) for those of our group taking lessons this year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the guidance to this newbie Very Happy

gazzaredcruiser wrote:
@keai7, echoing what everyone is saying. Just want to add I skied Alpbach last year, took my wife on her first ever trip. beautiful village and a good ski area for beginners (or advanced in your case!).
there's a nice bar in the village on the bend by the bus stop and a nice restaurant next door called Postalm.

Enjoy

Thanks for the tip. Really looking forward to next weekend. Hope the snow level will be good. By the way, any rental or ski school recommendation? I am currently eyeing Connys for rental (likely will buy ski shoes too) and Ski School Alpbach Aktiv.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy