Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could socks be the cause of all my problems?

Poster: A snowHead
OK - in reality I know Socks can not be responsible for world poverty etc, but...

I skied at school (lets just say slightly more than half my life ago) with some fairly basic tube socks. I may well have had two pairs of socks on 'coz that was the kind of thing your Mum told you to do to prevent blisters.

I may have put on a few grams extra weight since then, and lost a few smidges of muscle tone since then. I didn't ski for years then first skied again about 7 years ago. Have struggled to get a comfy boot in all that time. Tried getting my own boots, they felt comfy but by the end of a week skiing I couldn't feel my feet. So went to proper boot fitter last year. Heat moulded insoles, vacuum fitted boot. Comfy in the shop. Decent fitter at Snow n Glide near Leeds. Tried lots of boots etc. Was confident they would do the trick. While I was buying the boots I asked about socks. I had a whole host of things in the sock drawer from tubes, to more shaped ski socks. Fitter felt I'd probably been over tightening boots and so cutting off circulation. He suggested some compression socks to supplement the new boots.

Skied last year and still had loads of pain. I thought due to needing to stretch out the tendon on the bottom of my calf muscle based on it helping. That plus I probably stupidly over tightened on day 1!

Anyway. I've started running last year.

SWMBO bought me some technical running socks for Christmas. (These: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-strap-sock-grey-id_8382152.html ) I've only run in them twice since Christmas. First time was first run for a month and I'd not been well in between. Ran worst time I've ever run. Loads of foot pain, not a million miles away from what I get skiing. I thought it was just co-incidence but even when I put those socks on I could certainly feeling the "support". I don't quite know why she bought them - I've never twisted or sprained an ankle running, and that seems to be what these are designed for. Anyway, I ran same distance yesterday in my Lidl socks, much better time with no training in between. Today I ran shorter distance at same pace with the technical socks on and again, from the minute I put them on I could feel the support (like a tubigrip) but even by the time I'd walked to the car from the house I could feel arch pain.

When I take them off there is a pattern on my skin from the fabric.

Two thoughts going through my mind at the moment:

1. Sock is too tight and affecting circulation / nerves or something.

2. Sock is absolutely fine, doing its job, encouraging me to position my foot more neutrally or something but that ligaments etc are not ready for it and will take some time to improve

The cure for 1 is different socks, the cure for 2 is to persevere. Can I they internet suggest what I should do please!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Calling Scarpa...............

If anyone can faff about ski socks, its him rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only time I've used compression socks is for blister prevention when ski touring. They are designed for enhanced muscle recovery / endurance, not to prevent any twisting injuries from what I've read. I had major pain last season when I mistakenly ordered Falke SK3 socks instead of SK4s. They are about 1-2mm thicker and with foam liners (fitted with the 4s) I had to stop skiing after an hour due to the pain. Reverted back to the thinner socks and all was well again.

I'd guess over-tightening may be a cause of the problems (try skiing the first run with the boots looser, undo buckles on next lift, then repeat a few times on the first days to get a feel for how tight you really need them). You may have technique problems which are causing you to clench your toes in the boot, or an underlying problem with your feet. If your socks are not 3 sizes too small then I doubt they are the cause of the foot pain wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Were the boots molded to your feet while you were wearing the new compression socks or other socks? If other socks, how do your feet feel when you ski in the socks you were wearing when the boot was fitted?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They weren't moulded in the compression socks.

They were moulded in socks they provided. I had brought socks but they were in my coat which was across the room (they were probably just plain tubes to be fair). I think they were the same make but not the same model and they certainly didn't feel as tight.

So the socks I bought are Mico OxiJet 160s. May have been a Mico 100 or 114 I had on when fitting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes. The socks could be the problem. How much compression is in them? If your boot bloke suggested your over tightening of boots may have been cutting off circulation did they explain how actively seeking to compress blood vessels might help?

Try some regular technical socks, wool or silk or whatever you want, make sure they fit well (not too tight not too baggy) & see how you get on.

I have some compression socks, not altogether sure what I think about them apart from reckoning that the type of skiing I do does not need an aid to enhance recovery (am very sedate).

Also, calf stretching is for everyday not just hurty times...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He seemed to think that compression would be good coz it would get the blood where it needed to be. He swore by them - wears them every day even when not on snow!

I'm probably going to a fridge later this week so I will sort some different socks and see if a day of freezing / fridging gives me any issues...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tube socks are evil. Even if you've only worn them once I know what I'd be blaming...

(That said, if it is a circulatory issue surely compression socks will make it worse?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect the socks are a red herring...

kittya wrote:
Also, calf stretching is for everyday not just hurty times...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I could believe tube socks are evil, but I certainly didn't try running 2k today in tube socks (that could be a whole new look for Sunday mornings!) It was the tubigrip type compression this morning that made me think its the compression thats the issue...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For skiing there is only one sick I would wear, the Smartwool Ski Lightweight, last for years and thin with only light padding where needed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sadly my boots from Glide'n'Slide in Otley near Leeds are also very painful. With my basic boot fitting knowledge from a season at Brighams it appears that the foot beds are all wrong. But I definitely recommend you go with the "technical" fit socks, and if you have a bigger budget than me, absolutely recommend Smartwool.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i am still trying to work out if the post is about running or skiing

compression socks work well for the most part but if there are a lot of superficial nerves and blood vessels on your foot being compressed too much then you could get pain, it could be linked to the fascia under the foot around the FHL (see below)

as for pain in the calf/Achilles tendon, there is only one good way to reduce that, facial release and stretching, the most efficient way is to use a foam roller for both the claves and hamstrings and a smaller foot roller for under the arch.... tension in the fascia (the 3 dimensional web of gloopy protein that holds you together) when it adheres to the muscles stops the muscles moving as they should, tension anywhere form the tip of the big toe to the back of the neck can affect other areas in the chain, rolling should be done daily not just when you feel tight or are about to go skiing.... calf/foot muscle tension are two of the main causes of pain in ski boots that we see on a daily basis best rollers out there if you want something that lasts more than few weeks are probably from a company called TriggerPoint therapy, not cheap but used by pro athletes the world over
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As ever, I'm sure CEM speaks good sense.

Personally, I struggle to believe that compression socks are going to make much difference compared to the compression provided by a pair of ski boots. Look at the problem another way - You've never needed compression socks before and the vast majority of people run/ski quite happily without, so bin the socks and then see what happens.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
I'd guess over-tightening may be a cause of the problems (try skiing the first run with the boots looser, undo buckles on next lift, then repeat a few times on the first days to get a feel for how tight you really need them). D

+1

When my current boot was new, I had to take off boot for a couple minutes indoors to let the circulation back to my feet after the 1st run of the day. Then my feet would be quite happy the rest of the day.

Now the boot is a few years old, I mo longer need to do that any more.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

When my current boot was new, I had to take off boot for a couple minutes indoors to let the circulation back to my feet

Well it will be tight if you have both feet in one boot Toofy Grin
snow report
@Tubaski, auto-complete isn't smart enough to add the 's' where appropriate.

And I'm too lazy to add them where needed. (perhaps I should have changed the feet to foot, but I'm too lazy to do that also)
ski holidays
@abc, Laughing I'm just relieved you didn't come back and say that you were deficient in the leg division to the tune of one.
snow report
polc1410 wrote:
I've only run in them twice since Christmas. First time was first run for a month and I'd not been well in between. Ran worst time I've ever run. Loads of foot pain, not a million miles away from what I get skiing. I thought it was just co-incidence but even when I put those socks on I could certainly feeling the "support". I don't quite know why she bought them - I've never twisted or sprained an ankle running, and that seems to be what these are designed for. Anyway, I ran same distance yesterday in my Lidl socks, much better time with no training in between.

Lost running fitness from not getting out for a month, getting older by the day, put on weight at Christmas, and run slower than you did before - you suspect it's your socks.

polc1410 wrote:
Today I ran shorter distance at same pace with the technical socks on and again, from the minute I put them on I could feel the support (like a tubigrip) but even by the time I'd walked to the car from the house I could feel arch pain.

After having lost running fitness, you push yourself to run 2 days in a row, and end up with tight muscles - you suspect it's your socks.
ski holidays
Kooky wrote:
Calling Scarpa...............

If anyone can faff about ski socks, its him rolling eyes

That really made me giggle snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
I skied two years in my fitted boots wearing technical socks. Feet were agony and numb. Went back to fitter after second holiday left me with 2 numb toes on left foot and 1 on right which took 6 months to return to normal. My issue was when tightening lower buckles they were crushing the big vein on top of foot. Fitter took boot through back and used a grinder to shave inside of tongue and then tried again with silk socks on. They now give me no pain and are as comfy a ski boots are ever going to be
snow conditions
@kiteman69, and that coming from another sock faffer! I am just thankful the pair of you were faff-free when we skied together Laughing
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:

Lost running fitness from not getting out for a month, getting older by the day, put on weight at Christmas, and run slower than you did before - you suspect it's your socks.

After having lost running fitness, you push yourself to run 2 days in a row, and end up with tight muscles - you suspect it's your socks.

Try skiing without socks & I think you will soon realise it is not the socks wink
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
i am still trying to work out if the post is about running or skiing

Well - its kinda both! I've never had foot pain till I tried these new socks running. But the pain is almost identical to the foot pain I get skiing.
It seemed to me the common link is compression.

CEM wrote:

compression socks work well for the most part but if there are a lot of superficial nerves and blood vessels on your foot being compressed too much then you could get pain, it could be linked to the fascia under the foot around the FHL (see below)

Ta

CEM wrote:

as for pain in the calf/Achilles tendon

Ah - I may have badly described that. My calves don't get pain. But there is something about the tendon from the calf running to the ball of the foot or something and that stretching the calf by leaning against the wall makes a difference. I can't remember where I found it but I was sceptical, but the stretches did seem to help at least for a short time.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Personally, I struggle to believe that compression socks are going to make much difference compared to the compression provided by a pair of ski boots. Look at the problem another way - You've never needed compression socks before and the vast majority of people run/ski quite happily without, so bin the socks and then see what happens.

So I was too. BUT I guess you put socks on at 9am, keep them on till 5pm. You can open clips on boots on lifts or at lunch etc. I've even hat my feet out of boots at lunch. But the compression of the sock doesn't stop. When I take them off at 5pm you can feel increased tingling sometimes - like when you've been sat awkwardly and then stand up and can feel the blood going back!

Anyway - I tried skiing at a fridge yesterday. Just for a couple of hours. Wearing some fairly standard Merino Wool Socks. Skied loose clips and tightened after the first and second run. Even that tightening wasn't as firm as I'd normally expect - Could feel heel lifting off base of boot a little. Pain nothing like as bad. But was scared to tighten any more as there was still some pain in the arch and ball of foot once on third run.

Guess I'm off to the fitters at some point to see what they suggest.
latest report
moffatross wrote:
polc1410 wrote:
I've only run in them twice since Christmas. First time was first run for a month and I'd not been well in between. Ran worst time I've ever run. Loads of foot pain, not a million miles away from what I get skiing. I thought it was just co-incidence but even when I put those socks on I could certainly feeling the "support". I don't quite know why she bought them - I've never twisted or sprained an ankle running, and that seems to be what these are designed for. Anyway, I ran same distance yesterday in my Lidl socks, much better time with no training in between.

I've never had foot pain while running, even when I was a fat blob and struggling to breath after 100 yards my feel were just fine.
moffatross wrote:
polc1410 wrote:
Today I ran shorter distance at same pace with the technical socks on and again, from the minute I put them on I could feel the support (like a tubigrip) but even by the time I'd walked to the car from the house I could feel arch pain.

I wasn't running a marathon. I ran 5k on Saturday and 2k on Sunday. The 2k with my six year old who runs at about 6.5mins / k, the 5k I can run in about 5.3mins /k. I'm not the fittest, but the places I feel my running are on leg and knees. I've never had feet pains from running - either while running or muscle aches afterwards.

I genuinely don't believe this was related to my running muscles, I was feeling feet pain like I get skiing walking to the start of the run, not major muscle aches after running. I haven't stopped walking at Christmas.
snow conditions
Can you go back to a pair of socks to run in that worked for you? If so try them and see what happens. If you get pain then something may have changed in your feet and you may need to have it looked into further. If you don't then the new socks are the issue and just revert back to the old ones.

Ski boots have to be snug, but shouldn't cause huge pain in a recreational skier, so go back to the place that fitted them and see what they can suggest.
ski holidays
Socks used to make the pain in my feet a lot worse, but they weren't the cause. It was the boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polc1410, if you want to release that pain in the tendon under your foot (the fascia wrapped around flexor hallucis longus and other structures) then the nano roller form trigger point therapy is the toy you need
snow conditions
I had a problem like this but it was because of my boots being too tight and a bump on the sole.
latest report
The best option is an all in one sock. Boot entry/exit is ALOT easier with a sock that has the right technology. Compression can help keep the legs feeling more rested after powder day. I'd start with a light compression and move up from there. I would go with a boot sock. A sock that is designed for a boot. Let me know if you'd like some suggestions.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
I had a couple of hours on the local hill a few days ago, forgot my ski socks & skied in just my normal, thin ankle socks, tbh I think it was better than having ski socks on. (I also had boots & skis before the smartarses hit the keyboard Very Happy Very Happy )

My foot problem is a pronated (I think that's the word for sticky out) inner ankle & all3 pairs of previous boots as well as my rollerblades have caused pain on the ankle.

Current boots are Salomon x100 (I think) they had the full thermal moulding treatment at Ellis Brigham Castleford, shells & liners in the oven, pads put on my pressure points etc. The boots are a perfect fit with no pain.

I think it is a bit of luck and a bit of investment, getting boots that are comfortable, some are lucky to be able to buy standard boots off the shelf that fit perfectly, others will have been to every boot fitter and still be in pain, it was only when I stopped being a tightarse that I got results.

I watched a youtube video from some guy telling how to put on a pair of ski boots, wtf! I initially thought but I watched it through. The procedure goes something like this,

Get your foot in the boot, make sure the sock is pulled up & wrinkle free & the boot tongue is in the right place.
Lift your leg from a sitting position & strike the heel on the floor to drive your heel firmly into the back of the boot.
Tighten the two leg buckles to where they are comfortable/ where you want them.
The two foot buckles should only be tightened enough so that the buckle lever can be flicked open with one finger.

I have used this method since & it seems to work for me.
ski holidays
@phillipsv, no. The best option are definitely fluo yellow socks. Although fluo pink are nearly as good.

Is it thread necrophilia after only nearly 4 years? or just very, very deep resuscitation?
snow conditions
@polc1410, Not sure you got all the right detail from your boot fitter.

Without knowing, it sounds like your insole might not be giving you proper support.

Perhaps you have some issue like plantar fasciatis and maybe need an insert you can swap between shoes / running shoes / boots etc?

A bit surprised the fitter talked compression socks tbh.

Half the time, people have pain / lose circulation because they dont know how to do up buckles correctly. Again, something the fitter could have helped with.

If they didnt, then there are plenty of vids on youtube.

eta...........didnt realise this thread was so old rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Is it thread necrophilia after only nearly 4 years? or just very, very deep resuscitation?

Laughing
snow conditions
phillipsv wrote:
The best option is an all in one sock. Boot entry/exit is ALOT easier with a sock that has the right technology. Compression can help keep the legs feeling more rested after powder day. I'd start with a light compression and move up from there. I would go with a boot sock. A sock that is designed for a boot. Let me know if you'd like some suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to sockHeads, the perfect home for all matters ‘sock’, whether for ski boots, running attire or just puppets.
ski holidays
I sometimes get foot problems when skiing, like pins and needles, then completely numb, then cramps. I struggled with it for years, then noticed that my boot liner had a kink in it and it was digging in to the front of my ankle where the circulation is. I unkinked it, problem solved! If I can feel pins and needles now I unclip my boot and pull my sock up, sometimes I get a fold where the kink used to be and it causes the same problem. Much more comfortable
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:

I watched a youtube video from some guy telling how to put on a pair of ski boots, wtf! I initially thought but I watched it through. The procedure goes something like this,

Get your foot in the boot, make sure the sock is pulled up & wrinkle free & the boot tongue is in the right place.
Lift your leg from a sitting position & strike the heel on the floor to drive your heel firmly into the back of the boot.
Tighten the two leg buckles to where they are comfortable/ where you want them.
The two foot buckles should only be tightened enough so that the buckle lever can be flicked open with one finger.

I have used this method since & it seems to work for me.

This was key to my foot pain issues...use thinner shaped technical socks that won't bunch up. Drive heel into heel pocket at the back of boot before tightening any latches. Tighten upper two buckles to where you need them, tight enough to hold shin/ankle, but not too tight.

Two lower buckles ONE FINGER TIGHT!! Just enough to close the boot. Use micro adjusters if necessary. Any tighter and you'll restrict blood flow to feet and cause all sorts of pain, tingling, numbness.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

It’s a reboot.
ski holidays
@Orange200, I saw what you did there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy